Post Thanks / Like
    I`m planning on doing my first "real" detail this weekend (wash, clay (clay magic), polish (Perfect-It III), then AIO and SG), and I`m a little confused (scared) of the clay process.

I`ve read that I can use either soap + water, or the lube that came with the clay. Which do you prefer? And, if I go with the lube, should I plan on washing the car before polishing, or can I just polish over the residual lube?

I`ve also read that I should use the clay in a back-and-forth motion, but after watching the claying video over at Adam`s Premium Carcare site I started to wonder if I could just go nuts on the car like he does. My instincts tell me the former over the later, but I want to be sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s up to you on the type of lube you want to use. Since I have run out of the lub that came with the clay I have been using the soap and water method. I find this easier and quicker since you can do it right after or during your car wash.

As to the motion. I perfer going back and forth with the clay, as wuth everything else I do. It will reduce the swirls caused by the circular motion.
    "...it is important never to forget where u all came from - becoz black, white, brown or pakistani we all come from de same place - de punani." -ali g

Post Thanks / Like
    i just did my first clay this last weekend, with clay magic and i just used soap and water (meqs gc) it was so easy, not a big deal at all, i just went back and forth. i made the soap/ water alittle more concentrated than if i was just washing.. i thought why bother with the spray? mabey next winter if i need to clay in the garage with no hose, i`ll use the spray..

Post Thanks / Like
    The advantage of going in straight lines is that *if* you mar the surface the marring will be less noticeable. It`s not like going in circles *causes* marring, it just makes any marring more noticeable.

Knead/replace your clay frequently so you don`t drag potentially abrasive contamination across the paint, use plenty of lube, and don`t press hard. Then it shouldn`t matter what direction you use.

The first claying often needs to be too involved to be done while washing. When you clay as a separate step, sometimes you *do* have to rewash the car. Plan on doing so, but see how it goes. But try not to leave a lot of clay/lube residue on the paint anyhow. Claying is really a pretty clean process when done correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, don`t forget you can break up the clay bar into smaller pieces. This is good in case you drop the clay on the ground. Once you drop it, throw it away and use another piece.

I personally like using a QD to do the claying. I`ve used soap and water in a pinch, and it works fine too, but I prefer the QD.

There is nothing to be scared about using a clay bar, it`s a very easy process. It`s just time consuming.

Your paint will feel smooth as silk after you are done!

Post Thanks / Like
    The link in my sig has a good article on claying. It describes most of what you need to know.

Claying, if you do it right, isn`t time consuming at all. You can thoroughly clay a normal car that hasn`t been clayed in a while in about 20 minutes. It takes less time than washing the car. Obviously, cars with more contamination will take longer, but I can`t imagine how claying could take up more than an hour- tops.

Also, there`s nothing to be afraid of. two of the biggest things that hinder the results of those new to detailing is being afraid of using a PC or claying.
    -Glenn Jr.

There is always room to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by MongooseGA

The link in my sig has a good article on claying. It describes most of what you need to know.

Also, there`s nothing to be afraid of. two of the biggest things that hinder the results of those new to detailing is being afraid of using a PC or claying.

I totally agree with you on the fear of using a PC and clay. I`ll be doing both this weekend for the first time, and I doubt I`ll be getting much sleep the night before.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m a definite covert to claying during the washing process. You just have to make sure the panel you`re doing remains wet with water/soap solution. As mentioned above, break into small manageable pieces as I caught the edge of the bucket and the clay ended up on the ground!

I was really apprehensive about claying a car but now it`s only using a P.C.!

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    If you really wanted to break your claying fears, try doing it with just water. A slow, steady, constant stream of water is plenty of lube for clay. It saves on a little soap and alot of lube. Keep the surface wet though. A spray every few seconds is sufficient for me also.
    -Glenn Jr.

There is always room to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    ive overcome my fear of using clay last month when i first tried mothers clay. if your scared just leave the car wet after a wash and just the whole bottle of QD for your clay like i did.

Post Thanks / Like
    The most important things in my opinion are:

1. Break up the bar into several small pieces. That way, if you drop it, you don`t have to throw the entire thing. Plus, I find it less hand fatigue`ing to work with smaller pieces.

2. No need to use QD, soapy water is more then.

3. Linear strokes.

4. Kneed the clay often.

5. 1st time user, do a rear quarter panel first as I find the the least obvious place if you do introduce marring. Don`t do the hood, roof or doors first. Get the hang of it on the rear quarter panels then move to the trunk, front quarters, doors, hood, roof.

For the length of time it takes, I`ve found that it takes me a long time to clay. Don`t worry too much about how long it takes. It`s more important to be careful then rushing through it. For the pro`s, that`s a different story as time is money.

Paco
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Thread Information