Post Thanks / Like
    I have been a member of the corvette forum and some of the guys there told me that this was a very helpful place to hang out.

I just became a member here and need some advice on getting rid of swirl marks on my black 02 Z06. They look like they have come from a buffer from the last owner or the dealer . The hood and rear deck lid are covered and look terrible under light.

Any suggestions on the best way to get rid of them or should I look for a good detailer. I live just outside of Lexington, Ky if anyone can suggest someone.

Thanks,

James

Post Thanks / Like
    You can go at it by hand with a polish like Poorboy`s SSR2 or 2.5, or you can buy a Porter-Cable polisher, and use that with a polishing pad. They should come right out.

Your description sounds like you have holograms from a rotary buffer. If they are deeper swirls, then you will be wise to use a PC to remove them instead of by hand. Your arm would be very tired after removing deep swirls by hand.

For deep swirls you would need a cutting pad and a polish like SSR2.5, SSR3, Menzerna Intensive Polish, Sonus SFX-1, or many other equivalents.

A detailer should have no problem removing them, but if you are planning to maintain your paint yourself in the future, you might as well buy the stuff and do it yourself.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by White95Max

You can go at it by hand with a polish like Poorboy`s SSR2 or 2.5, or you can buy a Porter-Cable polisher, and use that with a polishing pad. They should come right out.

Your description sounds like you have holograms from a rotary buffer. If they are deeper swirls, then you will be wise to use a PC to remove them instead of by hand. Your arm would be very tired after removing deep swirls by hand.

For deep swirls you would need a cutting pad and a polish like SSR2.5, SSR3, Menzerna Intensive Polish, Sonus SFX-1, or many other equivalents.

A detailer should have no problem removing them, but if you are planning to maintain your paint yourself in the future, you might as well buy the stuff and do it yourself.

That is exactly what they look like.

Where can I get the polish? Can I get the polisher anywhere like lowes or sears?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Lowes carries the PC 7336 orbital polisher. I think it`s $99.

There are lots of polishes that are good for removing swirls. My favorite line though, is the SSR line available here:

http://www.poorboysworld.com

http://www.autogeek.net <-- 10% discount code "autopia"

Other polishes can be found at

http://www.premiumautocare.com

http://store.yahoo.com/autopia
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Thread Information