Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys. I did my first detail for money friday. It was a promotional so I did it rather cheap. My question is I just got a request for a full detail on a Extended cab silverado. Overspray is aweful on this car and heres a few pics. Wat do you think i should charge for a full detail minus engine bay.

Post Thanks / Like
    When trying to figure out how much to charge, determine a couple of things. What does the owner want out of the detail, all polishing to remove all swirls, use of clay bar, etc. Then by looking at the vehichle try to determine how long it will take you to do everything total. I try to earn an average of $20-$30 an hour for each job i do. $20 is my discount rate if I know the person well, $30 is for everyone else.

By looking at the pics, wash claybar, maybe two polishing steps, wax should take about 6 hours or more. (That`s just me, im slow i guess you can say but thorough.) Then add on for the interior.

I would probably do it NO LESS than $160-180 for a FULL detail (excluding engine) IMO.
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help with wat to charge on this vehicle

You charge 250.00 for the exterior only. That includes some correction. The vehicle is older, so do what you can. Minimum 250.00. If you need work then 200.00 the lowest.

Post Thanks / Like

Prices where I am, are going to be different where you are. That is because local economies differ, and competition is always a factor. In my area, there is minimal people who know "rotary polishing" and correction. But then there are even fewer that give a rats butt about how there car looks. These things all effect the detail market. Up the street from me they do cars for 40.00 dollars. You should see the end result.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would charge ~$250 to make it look great again, that`s cleaning the wheels, tires, wheelwells properly, claybar (I use nanoskin mitt, but same results), one-step polish (I use one that has wax in it), clean interior carpets, spray panels and wipe them down, apply treatment, apply tireshine, dress wheelwells, clean glass... done!

They are usually blown away by how good it looks, and I can usually finish the job in ~4 hours, with years of practice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeadingEdgeDetail View Post
    I would charge ~$250 to make it look great again, that`s cleaning the wheels, tires, wheelwells properly, claybar (I use nanoskin mitt, but same results), one-step polish (I use one that has wax in it), clean interior carpets, spray panels and wipe them down, apply treatment, apply tireshine, dress wheelwells, clean glass... done!

They are usually blown away by how good it looks, and I can usually finish the job in ~4 hours, with years of practice.
    Jealous , this would take me a full day(10 hrs at least) . I do not do this every day though, my word of Mouth business is starting to pick up( i`m not even trying to market since i`m part time) so i am looking forward to keep on improving on my times.

Post Thanks / Like

It used to take me that long for sure, it`s amazing what having a shop with every tool you ever wanted (except a steamer... one day) in a well organized fashion... combined with not trying to go overboard with swirl removal for someone that doesn`t care (just wants shiny, claybar will do that!) and good processes...

Biggest time saver for me so far has been the Rupes 21, I can now polish a car front to back top to bottom (light polish, obviously) in an hour, hour and a half tops. That and a great large fenderwell brush makes the fenderwells look spectacular in under 5 minutes!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow if you plan on doing the job I`m imagining that is cheap. I paid 700 to have my new Subaru cleaned, Clayed polished 1 step everywhere 2 step in spots and coated with opticoat 2.0 that I supplied.

That was on 2012
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is 10yrs old!
    Likes MooreImpressive liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So we need to factor inflation? lol.

NECRO THREAD!

Post Thanks / Like

damn I was just about to reply. thanks for telling me. this truck has probably been dead for years at this point. how did the bumper even find this thread?

Post Thanks / Like

I`m amazed the pictures still (mostly) work--I mean not only is the thread 10 years old, the forum`s been through 2 different owners since then (and that`s presuming it`s actually an Autopia thread and not one from DC or TID), and who knows how many software changes.

Post Thanks / Like

hahahah holly S#$% i had no clue it was that old when i even replied, those pictures are still working!?

Leadingedge - what brush do you use for the wells? currently looking into improving that aspect as soon as i can.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder what he charged for the job.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Thread Information