Page 1 of 15 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I live on a one lane road on the water across from the University of Washington. Since it is a densely polulated area, my neighbors are constantly going by me when I am out detailing in my driveway. I kind of cringe when they drive or walk by because I know they must think I am some kind of an idiot. The other day an older gentlemen, who used to bring his dog to my veterinary hospital, remarked: "I`ve figured out what to call you - clean car Carl." I just smiled and told him the there was no cure. Another older womam who walks by frequently told me last week that we have the cleanest cars she has ever seen.

I don`t blame these people for smiling as they drive by. But I do sort of wish I had a little more anonymity in my detailing vis a vis my neighbors. At least they haven`t seen me practicing with my new Makita rotary on my washer and dryer or the Kubuta and John Deere up on Whidbey island.

Any interesting comments from neighbors you`d care to share?

Post Thanks / Like
    Being detail freakes makes us a better class of people. To bad we live so very far away."Birds of a feather like to fly togetter."

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not be embarassed by your desire to have a clean car. You are holding up the resale value and doing good maintenance.

It`s also a great form of exercise.
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    My neighbors already think I am "loco." :chuckle:

Post Thanks / Like
    Pfff, a nightmare here..... I am an idiot for them!

French people don`t care about washing their car, so when they saw me using many many different products..... Just want to say "get a life stupid retards".....
    Sébastien.

:buffing:

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of my neighbors also love to keep their cars clean, and even they laugh about me frequently washingdetailing my car sometimes.

Other neighbors tell me that I`m going to wash the paint off the car, or that washing it too much dulls the paint, or waxing too much dulls the paint...waxing wheels is a weird waste of time...

I just let them float in their pool of ignorance and continue working on the car.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    What I can`t stand is the annoying "my car is next" that I will get from at least one neighbor everytime I am detailing and it is usually the ones with the filthy POS cars

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a classic last week. I started washing the car at about 10.30am and some of the local "kids" (read 17 year old idiots) walked past and into one of the houses.

I went about my business until lunchtime, had some lunch and went back out again.

I was just finishing off at about 4.30 when the kids came out of the house. One said to the other "F**k me, that dude`s still washing his car!"

I had to chuckle to myself.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by kevmo327

What I can`t stand is the annoying "my car is next" that I will get from at least one neighbor everytime I am detailing and it is usually the ones with the filthy POS cars

Whenever I get that comment, I reply with "sure, but don`t forget your wallet"

My neighbours think I`m nuts, but I`m surprised by the amount of old people (60+) that come over and ask about my washing techniques esp. during the winter months (using QEW). It seems in my area, the old people love to keep a clean car, even during winter, more then the younger folks. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    After joing Autopia and bought a bunch of stuffs from Autopia, CMA, Autogeek, Griots, Pakshak...etc., I began to do many test on each products and multi- layers to see how they worked. Standing from different distance, different lighting, reflection, close up...etc. During the process, many people would looked at me, some smile. Until one day I was taking pictures, 3 cars stopped by and gave me a big thumbs up. They realized how beautiful my car was. Now friend`s friend offer me to detail her brand new SUV. Never thought about doing detail for profit, but it is nice to make some $$$ as side job. At least get even for the equipnment and products ($1,000 +).

Post Thanks / Like
    To put an end to the neighboors comments:

Build a shrine for your PC in your front yard (if you haven`t already), light candles (19 minimum), play your favorite weird song loud and on repeat mode and do an outdated dance (ex: MC Hammer). Also, when you detail, wear a cape, mask and boots of dexterity. Not only will they stop asking you questions, they will cross the street when they have to walk by you.

Detail on...fellow Autopians share your pain

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by kevmo327

I always give them a quote of $50 (minimum). Usually silences most. :chuckle:

However, I have some neighbors who like examining what I have.

Post Thanks / Like
    SK2003TypeS, you sound like you`ve done that one before... Which MC Hammer song were you blasting? "Can`t Touchless"

Lack of oxygen up here sQuashed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats exactly right PrinzII, I just tell em "100 bucks" and their car can look as good as mine !!! LOL they usually walk away smiling.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one neighbor that always says, "You`re going to wear the paint out!" if he sees me working on my car. Original, isn`t it?

Page 1 of 15 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread Information