Post Thanks / Like
    i`ve been meaning to post for a while now. Just bought a rotary today, so i figured i`d get this out of the way.

i bought this car awhile ago, the paint is pretty trashed. i didn`t know much about detailing, so i bought some cheap rubbing compound and polishing compound. both 99cents... lol

anyway i bought it cause i wanted to see if there was any hope at all for my paint. i did my trunk with it. my applicator quickly became full of dead paint. it turned out ok, for what it was. well it restored hope anyway.

i`ll be taking the rotary to it once its nice out again, and i want to do this right. so i have a few questions.

1. is there anyway i can take this dead paint off easily? like before polishing, i don`t want to gunk up a bunch of pads.

2. what steps would you recommend for a job like this (pics at the bottom)

thats all i can think of now. i was planning on using Menzerna Intensive Polish, Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze, then UPP. not sure what for wax.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh

PS. i will be taking most of the trim off when i do this.

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome to Autopia, Josh.

On a severely oxidized finish there’s no getting around the fact that you need to remove a lot of dead paint before you get down to the good stuff.

It’s common to start out with a wool pad and a fast cutting compound. The wool cuts faster than foam and doesn’t load up quite as fast. You will need to spur it often.

Then you can concentrate on getting a clear finish with the finer polishes and foam pads.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    I right now am doing a heavy oxidized van and Im using a Purple foam wool and HTEC with my metabo. Sure it takes time cause of the pad getting clogg up but it looks really good after your done.
    Just trying to keep my family`s cars clean.

Thread Information