Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve spent the last week working on and detailing my car. No one has said a word to me.

2 washes and a clay application, 2 coats of Z5 interspersed with Z6. 1 coat of Z2-Pro and Z8. I now have a very shiny car! Life is good. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I get your cars are always so clean, do you wash it all the time. Nope but I do use Zaino

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I always hear:

"You`re going to wear the paint out"

"It`s a new truck, you don`t need to do that"

"You aren`t supposed to wax new paint"

But then sometimes I hear:

"Man, look at that shine"

"That is the cleanest truck I`ve ever seen"

"Boy, you really take care of your cars."

To those who criticize I have to explain, and prove that I know what I`m doing, and they are the ones who need to be informed. I keep trying to let the guys at work let me do a little work on their car hoods, so I can prove that their paint can look much better than it does now. I`m going to take a clay bar, polish, and wax to work. I might be able to make some extra $ on company time.

BTW, I`m new to this site. Nice to meet you guys.
    05 Black Tacoma Double Cab V6 4x4 TRD Sport

My CarDomain

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Peter D

My neighbour asked me " what are cleaning your car with?"

I replied " clay of course!"

I thought she was going to call the men in white coats!

Offer to demonstrate it for her. Doing it on her car would make the biggest impression since it is probably dirtier than yours.. Wash the hood, tell her to rub her hand over the hood and note how smooth it feels, then put her hand in a plastic bag and try again. Clay the area, and let her try the bag again. She will quickly understand

Post Thanks / Like
    What`s the plastic bag trick?

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Sig

What`s the plastic bag trick?

Basically as described above. Put your hand in a plastic bag and run it over your paint, and the embedded contaminants (which clay can remove) will feel "magnefied" to your fingers, making it that much easier to see a difference before and after claying. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    a boyfriend and girlfriend were walking by and the girl said to her bf, "wow! that car is sooo clean!" he didn`t respond to her... just looked on. i bet he went home and washed his car.

Post Thanks / Like
    My one neighbor gives me crap about it sometimes , but he`s crazy too, so it`s alright.

And that "Hey mine`s next." litany is how I got started detailing for profit.

I was living in an apartment complex at the time and had just got a new truck and wanted to take care of it. Since there`s nowhere to hide in an apt. complex , people would always see me working on my truck and make the infamous comment. I`d say "Sure , I`ll do it. Just bring it over , but it`s gonna cost you." , just to humor them and get rid of them.

It wasn`t until I got a PC that they thought I was serious and began approaching me asking what I charged.

So , it just kind of worked out by itself. I was a living advertisement for a business that didn`t even exist yet. There was a demand for the service there and I was unwittingly putting the supply on display.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m one of the lucky guys. Anyone who notices me detailing is a customer of mine and knows it`s another customer`s car. I haven`t received a "you`re crazy" remark yet, but now that I think of it, my neighbor mows his lawn twice a week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fireberd350
    I will never forget a quote I read from Holland_Patrick, it is the perfect answer to this, or the famous remark "You know it`s just going to get dirty again." It was something along these lines....

"When you take a crap do you not proceed to not wipe your *** b/c you know it`s going to get dirty in the near future??"

Touche.....LMAO
    Thats Classic!!!!!!! :chuckle:

CCH Auto Appearance, LLC C. Charles Hahn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkanbeans
    I`m one of the lucky guys. Anyone who notices me detailing is a customer of mine and knows it`s another customer`s car. I haven`t received a "you`re crazy" remark yet, but now that I think of it, my neighbor mows his lawn twice a week.

My neighbors are slowly learning that; I`ve had a different car each day for the last 3 days and I only heard a smart remark on the first day. :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    I get some of the `wearing the paint out` comments, but I take them as jokes and I think they`re intended that way. My next door neighbor asked to me to `clean out` the inside of her minivan this weekend after taking a look at our cars. She seemed impressed with the way it came out (mouth dropped, etc. )I should have charged double for the amount of work I did, but the way I looked at it, it`s good PR for more side work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kevmo327
    What I can`t stand is the annoying "my car is next" that I will get from at least one neighbor everytime I am detailing and it is usually the ones with the filthy POS cars

I am second to that. What is the appropriate respond? I just smile and "say anytime".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 66#1
    My parent`s neighbor always said "my car next" for years and years whenever I washed my car when I was living at home. It annoyed the crap out of me!! The poor guy passed away the other day, and now I kind of miss hearing him say that.

You can do his "house" next :har:

Post Thanks / Like
    I usually wash and detail the car first thing in the morning. A bloke who walks his dog passed my house, has said every time. "The car looks great" The other morning he asked if I could detail his car. When I said I would do it for Ă‚£50 he walked off! This morning when I was using Qd to get the bugs off the car, he walked passed and didn`t even speak! I don`t mind doing other peoples cars but unless they are good friends or family, I do want paying for it.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread Information