Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by SK2003TypeS

To put an end to the neighboors comments:

Build a shrine for your PC in your front yard (if you haven`t already), light candles (19 minimum), play your favorite weird song loud and on repeat mode and do an outdated dance (ex: MC Hammer). Also, when you detail, wear a cape, mask and boots of dexterity. Not only will they stop asking you questions, they will cross the street when they have to walk by you.

Detail on...fellow Autopians share your pain

Im a going to have to try this ....:woot:

My favs:

"If you keep washing like that there won`t be any paint left."

"Is mine next????" (Response..I guess so if your doing it "

Some people just dont understand....:nixweiss
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sitting here and it raining with hail. The hail stopped but its still raining, and I went out in the rain and got soaken wet to check out the car for hail damage. I didnt see any ,wew! My wife and daughter think I nuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    The guys at work always ask me about my cars. I park right next to the door so everyone walks by it. It seldom is dirty usually gleaming and so am I. It nice to get good comments about all the effort one puts into this hobby.
    05_Dakota Laramie-Red

04_Pontiac Vibe-Black

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by sQuashed

Thats exactly right PrinzII, I just tell em "100 bucks" and their car can look as good as mine !!! LOL they usually walk away smiling.

You guys are way to cheap.....I tell them $250.00 minimum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last fall, I had two comments that I can still remember...

Flattering comment:

"Is that a custom paint job? It looks awesome!"

Depressing comment:

"You know, no matter how much you wax that car, those dents aren`t going to disappear"
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    mine theink im nuts. most of my coworkers are into cars, so at least they dont think im crazy. but i do have one guy that asked me what i was reading one day when i was looking at a griots garage catalog, so i offered to let him look at it and he says "i dont wax my cars". i was like "what the hell!!!!" hes got a 03 cobra that is pretty nice, but if he doesnt wax it, we will see how long it stays that way.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was out detailing my `04 Dodge Dakota quadcab today and my neighbor told me" I wash that truck more than most people wash themselves!" I agreed, rubbed my hand over the incredible smooth,just clayed finish and smiled...

Post Thanks / Like
    shoulda seen the looks i got the other night when someone asked me what i did today.

i just said "spent 4 hours working on my car... and all i did was the hood"

(i was trying a variety of different techniques with diff products to get rid of some serious swirling )
    Thanks for Reading my Rant

Post Thanks / Like
    Last summer, one of my neighbors walked over to me and said:

"I`m a good detailer myself. Let me go get my sponges and I`ll give you a hand."

I told him no thanks, but he didn`t listen. Next thing I know, I look up and see him dunking these two black (used to be yellow) sponges in my soap bucket. He moved toward my car and I yelled out "noooooooo!". I swear to you this whole thing seemed like it was happening in slow motion...

So there he is, the guy with the rock filled dirty sponges, standing over the hood of my car, dripping crap on my hood and he looks at me and says;

"what`s wrong?".

So I started to tell him about wash mitts and the two bucket approach and he interrupts me and says:

"You know, I don`t think I want to help you. You`re a little bit weird".

--somedevil

Post Thanks / Like
    When I the buckets and wash mitts come out I definatly get some weird looks from the neighbors. I often get the "am I next" from people depending on who they are I either tell them "yes, I will help you detail your car and teach you how to do it" or I tell them (family and close friends) "yep, pull it up" or I quote them a very reasonable charge, like $100.00 and then they tell me that the local car wash will do just as good of a job as me but only charge $13.50 as they walk away. The comments that really get to me are the people who know everything. I am in the middle of a 3 stage polish (SSR3, SSR2 and then SSR1) with my Cyclo and they start telling me how I should be doing it. And that Zip wax is just as good as SG, you only need to do it twice a year.
    Insert witty quip here...

Shawn

I hear the '55s are in Ben Kenobi's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I knew I wasn`t the only one who gets these comments but it is nice to hear other people get this. As it was a warm day here I decided to do the first full detail of the year.

Had lots of looks while I was doing the whole thing. One of my neighbours went by a couple of times over the hours and said "Are you still at it?" I told her I was and had a bit more to do. All told it was 5-6 hours but the car looks amazing. Thank you to everyone on the site for all your techniques and product comments. I`ve learned a lot in the past few months and know I have a lot to learn.

I was really pleased when my next door neighbour got home and told me that my car looks new and that it`s the best I`ve ever had it.

Makes it all worthwhile! Will post photos on the detail in a new thread.

Paul
    Hoping the weather gets warmer again

Post Thanks / Like
    the best comment i ever received while washing my car:

i don`t like fords, but your mustang is really nice! :xyxthumbs

other comments:

you have the cleanest cars in the area. (from the same guy who said above comment)

your cars looks so good. do you think you can do mines? i can pay you for it.
    Reid

2004 Azure Blue Ford Mustang Mach1

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a great thread. :xyxthumbs I guess I`m not alone in dealing with all the comments about my cleaning my car. Seems whenever I go to clean my car someone has a smartassed comment about it. I sometimes feel like a heroin addict looking for a dark, quiet corner to shoot up in peace.

The comments I often hear are "You are going to wear the paint off cleaning it all the time!" "Can you do mine next?" and of course the "It`s just going to get dirty again" or "Do you ever drive that thing or just clean it?"

One time a neighbor made a comment about my wearing the paint down and I couldn`t take it anymore. I snapped back "What do you care if I do?". He never said a word again. I guess that`s one way to handle it.

Hate to say it, but I basically don`t clean my car around other people anymore unless they are like minded detailing nuts like myself. It`s good that there are so many like myself here. I feel right at home. :wavey

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t see why you guys get so bothered when people say "Me next!" It`s obvious they don`t really mean it, it seems like a flattering comment. Now the guy who offered to help with the sponges with the rocks in them, I think he needs to be introduced to the asphalt, via your foot.
    2003.5 Desert Platinum Infiniti G35 Sedan

Biweekly Routine---Wash: Foam gun + NXT Wash (Microfibers), then topped with #16 or OCW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by mrecktid

I don`t see why you guys get so bothered when people say "Me next!" It`s obvious they don`t really mean it, it seems like a flattering comment. Now the guy who offered to help with the sponges with the rocks in them, I think he needs to be introduced to the asphalt, via your foot.

It`s not so much that I get bothered, it`s just very annoying thats all.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread Information