Post Thanks / Like
    Parking my car this morning in a poorly lit garage, a tapped a car behind me doing about 3 mph . DAMNIT! My car`s rear bumper has two 8 inch scuff lines where his bumber and mine collided. I tryd to get at it and see the real damage by hitting it with some detail spray (all I have in the trunk) after cleaning the dirt of the bumper I has scuffy rough feel to it. Like hundreds of little cuts make up the scratch. I ahve some cutting cream, some 3m perfect it fine compound. (the thing is, the bumper has been resprayed and I dont know hoe strong the paint is. What do I do? It is not rediculously scratched, but it really bothers be especioally after detailing it 3 days ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it scratched or is it paint transfer ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Any pics? Check online or yellow pages for paint touch up companies. They can airbrush the bumper vs painting the whole thing.

I hope you left a note on the other car.
    -eduardo

My Story

Post Thanks / Like
    It is scratched- I can catch my fingernail in it. Its like a bunch of teeny weeny scratches. Of course his car shows absolutley no signs of damage, because it is an old oxidized POS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by imolamystique

Any pics? Check online or yellow pages for paint touch up companies. They can airbrush the bumper vs painting the whole thing.

I hope you left a note on the other car.
    NO DAMAGE WHATSOEVER ON HIS CAR. I think I am making sound worse than what it is. Definately no need for a repaint on my bumper

Post Thanks / Like
    So what do you think I should throw at it? some fine cut 3m compound?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I would try claying it first, with some QD as lube, that will take out any `shrapnel`. You could certainly try the 3M product, but without seeing a pic, and with your description I am not sure how much progress you will get. If it is an aggressive compound it may be better by hand in a small area just to see how much of a result you are going to get. If it works in the small area then go for it with the rest of the bumper. If you get the majority of the markings out with the compound then reduce the abbrasiveness of product and use the PC to further smooth down the markings, step down until you get to the fine polishing stage.

Before and after pics would be good Good luck with it!

Post Thanks / Like
    The reason I ask is because a friend had somebody back into his car in a lot. No paint damage visible but his rear bumper was pushed in an inch. $450 repair to realign the bumper. The other driver didnt leave a note.

You should be able to remove the surface marks. Take some before and after pics to showoff your good work. Good Luck.
    -eduardo

My Story

Post Thanks / Like
    I got it to look about 95% better with some Perfect it II, I dont have my PC with me cause I keep it my girlfriends house along with my other good detailing products. BUT, at least I had a clean terry applicator, the 3m compound and some 15 year old liquid crystal polish. I went at it by hand with the compound, and shined it back up with the polish and topped it with little z5 I had laying under the sink to my surprise. It is not bothersome anymore. I will attack it some more the next time I break out the PC. Maybe that last 5% will come out. Thanks guys for your help.

Thread Information