Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning tires

Don't ever drop your clay kartoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    After clening my wheels today I decided to give my tires a good cleaning. I sprayed a little of dilluted Orange Blast and scrubbed away. After the tires were completely dry, they were very brown. I have never seen them like that (10k miles/1 yr old).

I`m wondering if I just cleaned them really well and removed all the layers of various dressings or whether there was some strange reaction from the OB. What do you think ?

Post Thanks / Like
    If pH has anything to do with it, I`m unsure of the pH of OB, but it might have been too strong ( I suspect too alkaline) and stripped too much carbon. FWIW I presently use Mothers Rubber and Tire cleaner ( my pH testing strip shows it just slightly above neutral at 8) and have some Michelin Wheel and Tire Cleaner (pH is a straight 7) on tap. I`ve never gotten the browning from the Mother`s
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    To clean tires use K-VLRP, it is kinda expensive for cleaning tires but it is an excellent chemical cleaner for ABS and rubber. I usually follow it up with a better shine product like z16 or stoners. My tires look like cr*p when the shine is gone too and they only have 4k on them. I`ve noticed that with KVLRP under Z16, the shine lasts longer. Probably because your applying your shine to a clean surface, and rubber is hard to clean w/o the right product. If you use a brush and soap instead, use a soft brush.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/kla-vlrp.html
    A day without a scrub busting my chops is like a day w/o sunshine. :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Eagle One A2Z with a tire scrub brush to clean my tires. Works great and no browning.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only issue I`ve had with EP A2Z is that its acidic and if it drips on the rims you`ll get marks on them. I`ve been using a rubber cleaner (3M Tire & Wheel Cleaner -39036) which doubles as a wheel cleaner

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been using EF HI for several years and am pretty pleased with the results. I am thinking about experimenting with the EF tire cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Inzane

I use Eagle One A2Z with a tire scrub brush to clean my tires. Works great and no browning.

agreed. just picked up some, it`s in a new silver bottle (new formula that cleans/clings tires better.

Post Thanks / Like
    I came to a similar conclusion as Burlyq by accident. Been applying Vinylex or EO on the tires on my LandCruiser because they have a nice sheen. But after a rainy week, I noticed that the front tires are nice and black and clean while whatever was in the rear tires have washed off. I remembered that I applied KLasse VLRP a few months ago (December) only to the front tires. It was too flat looking for me so I abandoned using it. Apparently it has some qualities that are very good. VLRP is also an excellent cleaner. I just wish that there was an easier way of applying it like maybe having a spray head on the bottle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TOGWT

Only issue I`ve had with EP A2Z is that its acidic and if it drips on the rims you`ll get marks on them.

Actually A2Z is not acidic, its alkaline (basic). I use it to clean rims too and haven`t had any problems. You just have to make sure you thoroughly rinse. And I wouldn`t use it on polished or anodized rims. But it seems to be fine for most clear-coated rims.

Post Thanks / Like
    EO A2Z is probably the best all around rim/tire/wheel well cleaner I`ve used.

Post Thanks / Like
    A2Z can usually be found in my "bag of tricks." It`s my go-to product for tires that are that nasty brown color. Sometimes it takes two applications, but preps the tire for applying dressing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Mineral Spirits. I have yet to find anything that works as well, and for $5 for a can that lasts me about 2 years...can`t go wrong. My main purpose for it is the white letters, and I have never had one fade as it does not affect the rubber, and requires NO scrubing.
    2002 Dodge Dakota Sport Plus

--4.7l V8 SOHC

2004 Dodge SRT-4

--2.4l L4 DOHC Turbo

1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby

--2.2l L4 SOHC Turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Stratous

I use Mineral Spirits. I have yet to find anything that works as well, and for $5 for a can that lasts me about 2 years...can`t go wrong. My main purpose for it is the white letters, and I have never had one fade as it does not affect the rubber, and requires NO scrubing.

Mineral Spirits?? I have white BFG Radial Long Trail T/A`s on my truck. Might try that out,,,,,,AR

Post Thanks / Like
    A2Z for me. Perhaps the browning was caused by your your tire dressing. Some of the tire dressings have petroleum in them and can cause browning. I`m not sure exactly but the petroleum extracts something from the rubber. Water based dressings are best for tires/rubber.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like some tire are just more prone to browning than others.

The tires on our minivan are a good example. During the winter I had plenty of time to clean the summer wheels/tires up. Dunlop tires. I scrubbed the rubber with EFHI and then Griot`s Rubber Cleaner. I did a good, thorough job; the tires were *clean*. No staining at all when I wiped them off with a white cloth. But they were brown and blotchy, appearance-wise. Once I treated them with the Z-16, no more brown, no more blotches- just uniform, satiny black.

But the Bridgestone Blizzak snows that I was taking off, despite not having the Z-16 redone all winter, were nice and black. No browning at all despite all the abuse and neglect they`d been through :nixweiss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information