Post Thanks / Like
    Well 2 months ago I got my Race car/Street rod out of my cousins body and paint shop. He does strictly show cars and is by far the best around this area (Maryland). Well anyway He told me to wait 3 months for the paint to fully cure so it can breath and allow the chemical vapors to evaporate out of the paint. I was talking to him yesterday and he told me (since the car is garaged) that I shouldnt even bother waxing the car ever. He told me to use 3M Imperial hand glaze. He also told me that I can start useing it right now if I want because it doesnt seal the paint like a wax does, thus allowing it the breath while it is still evaporating.

Well anyway I was wondering what you all thought about this? I just picked up a large bottle of the 3M imperial hand glaze and tested it on a small spot to see what it does. I must say that it made the paint look very wet and even deeper than it already was. If you guys were me what would you do with this car and color once it is fully cured and ready to do what ever needs to be done to it? It is a new color by Dupont from there Hot Hues line of paint called Ragging Ruby. It has alot of metal flake and is a pearl paint. Here are a couple pictures with absolutely nothing done to it.

The paint on this car is so deep it makes you feel like you can reach into the paint. He applied 2 coats of clear, then wetsand and buff then 2 more coats, wetsand and buff then one final medium/heavy coat and wetsand and buff. The depth and clairity is absolutely stunning! This is a scary picture right here!!! Made me want to cry.

BTW I am an avid Zaino user. I was thinking about doing what he told me since it is garage kept and just useing the imperial hand glaze. Then again the hand glaze makes it look so good I got to thinking maybe use that then a couple coats of zaino over it!!! What do you guys and girls think I should do?

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with waiting the 3 months. I applied AIO/SG 6 weeks from paint and I could still smell vapors so I know the paint was gassing. My painter said 1 month, but he isn`t a TRUE pro. Just a guy that works out of house.

As far as just using the 3MIHG however, I`d have to disagree. That ain`t protecting the paint at all and if you want that finish to last then protecting it is a must, even if it is garaged. I`d go with the Zaino topped with a carnauba or at least a carnauba. I don`t think that they would add a whole lot to the look but you will keep it protected when it is exposed to the elements. Plus, isn`t it fun to wax a car that gorgeous?

I`d also suggest Adams Brilliant Spray for the windows and chrome on that car. Make your WHOLE car bling!!!

And a tire dressing. :xyxthumbs

By the way your painter did an AWESOME job and your car looks great. I might be 1% jealous...

ok maybe 2 or 20% jealous...
    The happiness of a man in this life does not consist in the absence but in the mastery of his passions.

-Alfred Lord Tennyson (1809 - 1892)

Post Thanks / Like
    One other question I have. While I love my zaino, I am sure there are other products just as good. If any of you feel there is another product that will protect just as good and last as long and give a better deep looking shine then by all means feel free to let me know! I am always looking for better and better products. Technoligy is coming a long way in this day and age!

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by dpeezy415

I agree with waiting the 3 months. I applied AIO/SG 6 weeks from paint and I could still smell vapors so I know the paint was gassing. My painter said 1 month, but he isn`t a TRUE pro. Just a guy that works out of house.

As far as just using the 3MIHG however, I`d have to disagree. That ain`t protecting the paint at all and if you want that finish to last then protecting it is a must, even if it is garaged. I`d go with the Zaino topped with a carnauba or at least a carnauba. I don`t think that they would add a whole lot to the look but you will keep it protected when it is exposed to the elements. Plus, isn`t it fun to wax a car that gorgeous?

I`d also suggest Adams Brilliant Spray for the windows and chrome on that car. Make your WHOLE car bling!!!

And a tire dressing. :xyxthumbs

By the way your painter did an AWESOME job and your car looks great. I might be 1% jealous...

ok maybe 2 or 20% jealous...

Thanks for the tips and the compliments! Your probably right. So you think zaino topped with a good high quality carnauba is a good idea? Hmmm that might even bring out the depth even more! Great idea!!!

Oh BTW it only cost me $3,500 for the complete body and paint job and that includes all the paint and labor. I also had about $600 in parts (new fenders, door handles, 68 camaro emblems on the fenders and all new weather seals). I am lucky to have a great cousin!

Post Thanks / Like
    What a beautiful car. Congrat.

My 986S was repainted 5 months ago and the shop told me the same thing. NO wax for garage queen. Just 3M IHG. IHG is a great product but if you continue to read and ask questions about how to take care your toy. Be prepare with ton of different receipt from Autopiaen. Don`t ask how I know.....

Try 3M IHG and Souveran x2. It will liquefy your paint (of course I mean visually). Not a lot of steps. Simple. I warn you if you keep digging the old post or ask around. It will get more complicate than that.

Congrat. Your paint job is awesome. ( Take care your $6000+ paint job)

Post Thanks / Like
    ProStreetCamaro- Welcome to Autopia, that`s one nice car with one *great* looking paintjob! Heh heh, let`s keep it looking that nice

Stick with stuff like the IHG for the curing period. FWIW, I vastly prefer Meguiar`s #5 for this if you feel like spending a little to try something different (nothing *wrong* with the IHG though, I`m using it on some fresh paint myself at present).

Don`t wax/seal it until it finishes outgassing, just stick with the glaze for now. Heh heh, I`m repeating that for emphasis.

Plenty of people (including Forrest from Mother`s Wax, who knows a bit about paint care ) do just use a glaze on pampered garage queens/showcars, but I like to use a wax or sealant for extra protection. If that car were part of *my* stable, I`d probably use Souveran on it, but it`s a "looks" wax, not something really durable. I might also consider the sealant "UPP" from Four Star. I have two "good" cars, one gets Souveran and the other, which gets used more, gets UPP.

Be extra-careful washing it so you don`t mar the finish. You might want to do a search on "foamgun" to see how some of us do this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome,

Thats a beautiful car, but i think we need to see some pictures of the big mill under the hood. Nitrous? Big block, small block? What kind of times at the track?

Thanks,

Sellncars

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m with Accumulator, although I prefer Meguairs #81. Pinnacle Souveran would look very deep and wet over that color.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Your passenger side taillight seems crooked.

and you have some beefy hoosiers in the back...Looks mean and intimidating.

Post Thanks / Like
    That`s a beautiful paint job. Welcome, and you will definitely need to research your products. Prepping and (IMO wax as a) LSP will be essential for maintaining your spectacular finish.

Very nice!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just so you know, Zaino won`t bond very well to IHG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by sellncars

Welcome,

Thats a beautiful car, but i think we need to see some pictures of the big mill under the hood. Nitrous? Big block, small block? What kind of times at the track?

Thanks,

Sellncars

Well I have one pic of under the hood but the motor is extreamly dirty due to the body work they did. It has a 383 stroker motor with 13.5:1 compression, Callies forged crank, Crowler forged 6" rods, Ross forged pistons, mildly ported and polished Brodix Track 1 aluminum heads, port matched victor jr intake topped with a 1050 dominator. It runs mid to high 10`s depending on the track conditions and the weather. As of yet I havent hook a bottle up to it but I might sometime this summer. With a 200 shot I should be busting into the 9`s but then I would need to get the cage certified by NHRA which isnt really a big deal.

Serious no BS kinda guy forrest@mothers's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it truly is a garage queen, there`s no reason for wax. Wax provides protection, and you` don`t need any.

Our toys, which have paint jobs that run medium 5 figures, get only glaze on them - no wax.

I say go with the IHG or any of several other good glazes.
    forrest

Thread Information