Post Thanks / Like
    I`m looking for those of you who detail on the weekend to make some extra money...

Kind of like what I`m doing. I have a base of friends/co-workers/family that I detail for, and the list seems to be growing..

As it`s getting larger, the issue of insurance is starting to enter my mind...

Any of you guys have insurance? Any sort of protection? Ever run into a problem? Anything I should know???

Post Thanks / Like
    Might want to ask this in the Professional Detailers forum. It`s been discussed a few times there and can be a very serious topic.

Might want to consider incorporating as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can get a basic $300,000 ins policy for about $125 a quarter. Something like that would cover your butt just in case. Just go and talk to your local agent prices vary greatly. This is what I have done for years running my own small business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Insurance is only a small worry if you get serious about it. You need to find out about generally accepted principals of accounting in your area so you can pay taxes and they can moniter you. You have to decide what type of business you are, if you are going to be incorporated or not. You also need to have a Mat and reclaim your water in many states, probably Phili has some regualtions regarding this.

So my advice is if you are not going to do this full time and you don`t want to do all the things necessary when owning a business, then only accept CASH, and keep the garage door shut, you criminal, lol. QEW and paint cleaner might be a better option than doing a driveway wash. You might want to have the car semi-clean as a requirement so you can go straight clay or to paint cleaner. You can charge twenty less and have them take it to a legal car wash prior to your illegal activity detail, lol. Cover your assets.
    A day without a scrub busting my chops is like a day w/o sunshine. :grinno:

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blackntan

I`m looking for those of you who detail on the weekend to make some extra money...

Kind of like what I`m doing. I have a base of friends/co-workers/family that I detail for, and the list seems to be growing..

As it`s getting larger, the issue of insurance is starting to enter my mind...

Any of you guys have insurance? Any sort of protection? Ever run into a problem? Anything I should know???

Basically, what you have is a hobby which is slowly turning into a small business. If you plan to continue to grow your hobby into an actual profit making business, then you will need to begin to look at more and more things from the prospective of operating a business. Of course, insurance would be one of the necessary things to consider when operating an actual `for profit` small business.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t have any insurance, but I don`t do jobs that could turn into a serious issue. If I think a car needs severe paint correction, I won`t bother with it. I don`t want to end up causing any damage to someone`s paint.

I just detail maybe one car per week, and not always for money. But I generally don`t attempt anything that could come back to bite me in the a$$ later.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Thread Information