Post Thanks / Like
    Hello All,

I have a black Silverado that I have swirl marks in, not a great deal. However in my garage with the overhead lights on they are very glaring So my question is, should I use the 3M on the entire truck?

I`m a half a step from going to Lowes and picking up a 7336. The only draw back is that I don`t think I have a place to pick up pads locally. Also my truck has been to a Pro wax using detailer at least four times, so I think the paint is in "ok" shape.

Thanks,

Duan

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the yellow pages for an autopaint/body supply place; they`ll have pads. Generally, you`ll probably find that the whole truck has the marring, but you really only need to work on the areas that bug you. FWIW you might have better (or at least more permanent) results with a different product, the SMR/dark does more filling than removing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

FWIW you might have better (or at least more permanent) results with a different product, the SMR/dark does more filling than removing.

I`ll definitely second that. I wasted a lot of time using that product. If you like 3m`s products the Perfect It 3000 line SMR ( Perfect It III Machine Glaze was the former product) are worth checking out.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the advise, I`ll take a look at the yellow pgs.

I got this product to solve a newbie clay accident, long story short Sal Zaino recommended the product after my distressing e-mail. I mistook a rock chip for a paint flaw, and lets just say the results weren`t pretty I didn`t realize that product just filled in swirls, what`s recommended for swirl removal with a pc?

Thanks

Duan

Post Thanks / Like
    The SMR *does* do some mechanical/abrasive removal, but not too much. My usual recommendation, 3M PI-III MG (05937) has recently been discontinued, but you might still be able to get it. Another option would be its replacement, their PI-3000 Swirl Mark Remover. This product contains silicones (not necessarily a bad thing) so you might need to use something like a 50:50 rubbing alcohol:water mix before applying your Zaino- don`t know for sure as I haven`t tried the PI-3000 stuff yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the reply`s.

My Napa store carries 3M, and I had my hands on a bottle of 3MPI-III 05937. The only thing that made me leave it in the store was the uncertainty the "paint guy" had to its use with a pc? I`ll go back tonight and pick it up. Would the green propel pad do the trick?

Thanks,

Duan

Post Thanks / Like
    The 05937 works great by rotary/PC/Cyclo/hand. Just work it until it`s almost dry so it breaks down completely. You`ll get the hang of it in no time. If anything, you might find it too mild.

Dunno from Propel pads, but a mild polishing pad is what you want with this product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Bill D

I`ll definitely second that. I wasted a lot of time using that product. If you like 3m`s products the Perfect It 3000 line SMR ( Perfect It III Machine Glaze was the former product) are worth checking out.

The Machine Glaze and Fine Cut Rubbing Compound are great for REMOVING swirls. Use the FC for heavier swirls and finish with MG then a wax, or use the MG and go straight to a wax for light to moderate swirls.

Thread Information