Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a brand new Mustang GT, Mineral Gray. I have a question about teflon sealent. I have read a lot in the form that it`s not all it`s stated to be.

Anyway, in the past I have had teflon applied to new cars and it seams to work. I still was and wax afterwards. But with my busy job, I don`t have the time to "spit shine" my cars like I did when I was young.

If you could recommend a course of action to keep my car looking its best or point me to a thread that will tell me what I should do, I would really appreciate it. I read the string about the new Chrysler 300, what are all those abbrevation? Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.autopia.org/display.php?f....htm&s=&menu=8 click for abreviations.

Don`t know about teflon.

Check around the site but it sounds like you want durabilty above all else, if that`s so try Zaino, it`s well known for it`s durabilty and deep wet look. If you decide on trying it let me know and I`ll suggest what you should get. It is easy to use and lasts a very long time. Did it stop raining down there yet? Welcome to Autopia, it`s a cool place.
    A day without a scrub busting my chops is like a day w/o sunshine. :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    Burlyq,

thanks, read about Zaino in the Mustang Forms and have chk`d out their website. Sounds like hot stuff. Yes I was looking for "Long Lasting", in the old days I could wax my car every 2 weeks, but now I would rather do it every 2 months.

Well, rain has left but wondering if it will come back, right now back to "Sunny SOCAL" weather.

Thanks for the abbrv link. Also if you have recommendations on what zaino steps to follow, I am all ears (well eyes in here). Thanks again.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Applying Zanioâ„¢ Sealant 19-6:

Zanio was voted the number one synthetic polymer sealant by an independent testing body (Guru Reports) its application process has a small learning curve, but once mastered the results are well worthwhile. This is the product I use for the preparation of concourse vehicles (or any vehicle that requires a â€Ëœshow carâ€â„¢ shine

Zanio is a synthetic polymer wax, a compromise between a polymer sealant and a natural wax. Use either Z-1 Polish Lokâ„¢ or ZFXâ„¢ accelerator The polymers do not require a lengthy cross-link (cure) time as ZFXâ„¢ is formulated to accelerate the time requirements. Z-2â„¢ or Z-2PROâ„¢ produces the most gloss of the synthetic waxes (although theyâ€â„¢re labelled as polishes) it is more optically clear then Z-5â„¢ and will highlight any surface imperfections, whereas Z-5 will â€Ëœhideâ€â„¢ very minor surface imperfections with fillers. Z-3â„¢ is a â€Ëœpolishâ€â„¢ for single stage (non-clear coated) paint

a) Detailers Tips:

1. Apply this product using water-dampened applicator, and then spray the applicator with Z6.

2. Apply Z-solution very thinly using absolute minimum pressure on the applicator.

3. Spray the vehicle surface very lightly with Z6 between each â€Ëœlayerâ€â„¢. I cannot emphasise â€Ëœapply products very sparinglyâ€â„¢ enough.

4. Use Z-5 + ZFX for dark colours Z-2 + ZFX for light colours.

5. Use Souverän Wax as a final product on red, black or Porsche Speed yellow it produces a deep wet shine or Pinnacle Signature Series Wax for metallic and for light coloured vehicle paint

6. The secret to the application of a polymer product is to apply it thin (super thin) fill a spray bottle and mist a foam pad for application.

7. Ease of product removal is inversely proportional to the amount used (less product easier removal)

8. If there are places were the wax is thick and you are having trouble buffing the residue, wash affected panel with a Z-7 wash solution.

The brand is named â€ËœShow Carâ€â„¢ as it relies on a very thoroughly prepared paint film surface to produce the best results, the final result can only be as good as the surface itâ€â„¢s applied to.

b) Surface Preparation-

a) Surface Preparation-

1. Wash vehicle with a good quality car wash concentrate 1.0oz per 2 gallon (Zaino Z-7)

2. Rinse vehicle thoroughly.

3. Remove any imbedded contaminants with detailing clay (Clay Magicâ„¢) and a lubrication solution 5:1 (Distilled water/Woolite®)

a) Remove any surface imperfections with a suitable machine polish

b) A swirl mark remover (3Mâ„¢ PI-III Machine Glaze, P/N 05397)

c) Clean paint film surface with a chemical cleaner / polish (Klasse All-In-One)

4.Lightly wash paint surface with a diluted car wash concentrate (Zaino Z-7) 1.0oz per gallon

5.Dry thoroughly and start the application of Zaino Z-2/ Z2PROâ„¢/Z-3 / Z-5/ + ZFX solution

Application Methodology:

â€Â¢To mix ZFX do not squeeze the bottle, simply hold it horizontally and let a drop dispense, then tip further down again for the next drop and so on

â€Â¢Mix solution (one ounce of Z-5, Z-2 or Z2PROâ„¢ in a mixing bottle, and add 4 or 5 drops of ZFX.

â€Â¢Shake vigorously for one minute and then allow the cure accelerator to activate (about 30 seconds)

â€Â¢There is no need to use ZFX for every application, although using ZFX will give you a brighter and deeper looking finish

â€Â¢Wipe down the entire vehicle with Z-6 using 100% cotton Microfiber towel.

â€Â¢Shake the Z-Solution again for 30 seconds.

â€Â¢Lightly spray a Microfiber applicator with Z-6. You want the pad to be damp, not wet.

â€Â¢Apply to whole vehicle (0.5 â€â€œ 1.0 oz should be sufficient for most vehicles) taking care not to apply to absorbent surfaces (i.e., unpainted plastics and rubber trim)

â€Â¢Lightly spray Z-6 between each coat of Z- solution; check the applicator pad frequently for any contaminants it may have picked up.

â€Â¢First pass: apply (ultra- thin) apply the Z-Solution to the entire vehicle, roof to floor on vertical surfaces (doors, fenders and skirts) and across on horizontal surfaces (roof, hood and trunk)

â€Â¢Second pass (ultra- thin) apply Z-Solution in direction of airflow, horizontal surfaces hood to trunk, vertical surfaces front to back.

â€Â¢Third pass (ultra- thin) and any subsequent layer(s): apply Z-Solution in same â€Ëœdirection of airflowâ€â„¢.

â€Â¢This application technique affects the paints optical properties by optimising light refraction and the reflectivity of the bodylines and contours of the vehicle.

â€Â¢As air is the primary catalyst for the wax to dry, low air temperatures and / or humidity may effect the drying time requirements.

â€Â¢After sufficient drying time do a quick swipe test with your finger. If no smearing or drag is evident, the residue is ready to be removed.

â€Â¢Residues should be dry when you buff them. If the residues are still wet, you are using too much product

â€Â¢Remove the residue using clean using 100% cotton Microfiber towel, checking frequently for contaminants to ensure that you donâ€â„¢t transfer to a clean surface.

â€Â¢Apply a solution of Z-2 or Z2PROâ„¢ + ZFX -Solution as the last coat

â€Â¢Using a clean 100% cotton Microfiber towel wipe down complete vehicle with Z-6 and finally buff with a clean 100% cotton buffing towel

Maintenance (Shine) - Wash the vehicle and then wipe down with Zanio Spray Sealer (similar to the way you use Z6, but use even less). It renews/enhances gloss, reflectivity and durability/slickness.

Notes: -Do not apply more than three coats in any 24-hour period

1.Zanio can also be applied using a random orbital buffer and a finishing type (LC Grey) foam pad. Use with a speed setting #3.5 â€â€œ 4.0, lightly spray the damp foam pad with Z-6 and then Z solution and apply using a very light pressure, this will ensure an ultra-thin application.

2.If the paint film surface has no imperfections use a Z-2 / ZFX solution in place of Z-5

3.Use ZFX-solution within six hours of mixing

4.Smearing is caused by not allowing the Z-5/ZFX to thoroughly haze.

5.In colder weather you can wait as long a 36 hours between Z-5/ZFX application and buffing.

6.Unlike carnauba, Zaino can be applied in direct sunlight. The Z-6 dries very quickly so you need to work on very small areas.

7.If it does dry apply a little more Z-6 and the product can be removed.

Zanio Bros Store

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Togwt,

You wouldn`t happen to know anyone who does this for a fee in SOCAL area would you? Sounds like fun and a couple of days of work. I am just worried I might screw it up. But I think I can do all of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Make that the San Diego area of SOCAL...

Post Thanks / Like
    Give it a try, take your time as itâ€â„¢s a lot of fun and truly satisfying to be able to say *I* did this myselfâ€Â¦Oh and if you do DIY ( buy the wife/GF something from VS with the money you`ll save)and post photos

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I am studing the instruction closely, after each coat (pass) do you wipe the car down with Z6?

Post Thanks / Like
    Zaino is a great product range, the instructions can make it sound harder than it really is - dont let this put you off.

If you prefer a two step product look at something like Klasse or Autoglym

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Kevinrox

Thanks, I am studing the instruction closely, after each coat (pass) do you wipe the car down with Z6?

That`s correct

Post Thanks / Like
    TOGWT -

"Oh and if you do DIY ( buy the wife/GF something from VS with the money you`ll save)and post photos"

Do you mean photos of the wife / gf in the VS stuff?

Or just the mustang??

he he

:-)

Post Thanks / Like
    The wife/GF in VS stuff in the Mustang LOL

Thread Information