Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    As I mentioned in a previous thread I`m a newb to proper detailing and I`ve found something that has me confused.

From reading the autopia guides I got the impression that sheepskin mitts were the best choice for washing but then I ran into a thread that said cotton or microfiber mitts were better for black cars. Is that true or did I misunderstand?

I searched old threads and found a lot of posts that said sheepskin was okay on a black car so now

Thanks to anyone who can explain.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never heard that before. I prefer sheepskin for a variety of reasons.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here`s a link to the thread I found - the third post on the thread says "I rarely hear any positive feedback from the use of sheepskin washmits, especially when used on Black. " And then a couple of other members reply in agreement.

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...+mitt+cleaning

And then this second thread says the exact opposite.

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...in+mitts+black

:hm

Post Thanks / Like
    I gotta say I find that absurd. You shouldn`t have issues with sheepskin mitts provided you selected the softest ones of the bunch .

Post Thanks / Like
    I got one from exceldetail - I got the impression they were okay based on what I read here.

Post Thanks / Like
    ogie_s .. you will probably never get everyone on a forum like this to agree on one product, so you will notice conflicting advice in threads from time to time. On the mitts, all I can tell you is the sheepskin mitts I use (hand picked from Walmart; dense and soft mitts only) have never caused me any problems and I have three of them.
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Been using sheepskin on black for years with no ill harm. Sheepskin does have a little less bite, so it doesn`t necessarily work best for very dirty cars. I remedy that by using a stronger solution.

At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RedondoV6

ogie_s .. you will probably never get everyone on a forum like this to agree on one product, so you will notice conflicting advice in threads from time to time. On the mitts, all I can tell you is the sheepskin mitts I use (hand picked from Walmart; dense and soft mitts only) have never caused me any problems and I have three of them.

I got the impression that was the case but seeing a bunch of people say sheepskin was bad for a black car just made me want to make certain I didn`t miss something in my newbieness. My new car`s just made me absolutely paranoid And as they say " Better safe than swirly!"

Thanks for the replies everybody.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ogie_s

I got the impression that was the case but seeing a bunch of people say sheepskin was bad for a black car just made me want to make certain I didn`t miss something in my newbieness. My new car`s just made me absolutely paranoid And as they say " Better safe than swirly!"

Thanks for the replies everybody.

No problem! Check out good washing techniques to keep your new car swirl free. Most here will recommend a "two bucket method", I use three buckets with one dedicated to wheels only and I think one of our senior members uses four buckets! Search on "two bucket method" or read DavidB`s article using the link below for advice on washing with minimal damage.

http://autopia.org/kb/index.php?page..._v2&id=35&c=16
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve been known to use three to four buckets plus the foam gun and multiple mitts

Post Thanks / Like
    Being a newbie, and being armed with the search button on this forum, is enough to confuse anyone! However the wealth of wisdom is GREAT, its a double edge 2000 pad/sword

Duan

Post Thanks / Like
    i`ve used a spun gold (plush) wash mitt for years and have had no problems. i have recently switched over to lambs wool wash mitts, and am pleased as well. i can`t really tell the difference between the two, and just like anything else.... it`s a personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve tried a few different approaches, and have come to like Chenile sponges the best. I don`t really like mits, and I think a lot of folk who buy mits use them like a sponge.

I tried microfiber mits and sponges, but found that they got dirty easily, and the dirt doens`t seem to come off quickly without washing. The Chenile seems to soak up the dirt, and release it quickly in a bucket of clean water.

But, I completely agree with what everybody else is saying. This is a personal choice, and proper washing technique is going to be critical no matter what tools you use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by The Uncle

.. proper washing technique is going to be critical no matter what tools you use.

Absolutely :xyxthumbs

As long as you don`t somehow get a "bad one", chenille/MF/lambswool *when wet with carwash solution* are all, in and of themselves, soft enough to use on almost *any* autotomotive paint, even the soft stuff on my `85 Jag. Even a high-quality BHB will seldom scratch automotive paint when it`s full of wash solution.

Tests on CDs will give varying results, but remember that CDs are softer than the paint used on vehicles. FWIW, NeoPrufrok`s old test, comparing lambswool, BHB, and chenille, showed that only the chenille didn`t scratch a CD for him. Many MF mitts are even softer than chenille. But that was a test case using a clean CD, not an in-the-field test with a dirty car.

The problems come from the dirt that you`re trying to clean off. It can get stuck to the panels, it can get stuck to the mitt, it can get ground into the finish. IMO dirt doesn`t "migrate" up into the nap of a mitt/pores of a sponge/bristles of a brush quite as well as one might hope, but rather stays between the mitt and the panel, fully capable of marring the finish given a little pressure.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the idea of a mitt because you can place your hand in it, eliminating one less thing potentially slipping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information