Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it just a fact of life that a metallic paint job will never reach the reflective shine that a paint job that is non metallic or do I need to use different products?

Currently using Pinnacle Cleansing Lotion, WG Paint Sealant, Pinnacle Signature Series.

The finish looks amazing, but I just can`t get the reflections that I see from cars that are not metallic paint.

Any infomation on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

It is attainable, but it requires a little different products that non-metallic paints. I used 3M PI II RC, 1Z PP, AIO, and WG on this BMW and you can see how awesome it came out. I tend to shy away from carnaubas on metallic paint because I find that it can sometimes *mute* the metallic thus dulling the overall look. A lot of people like Zaino, SG, and 4* UPP (to name a few) on metallics. Regardless, I think as long as you stick with sealants you should be looking good, and don`t forget about prep. You may need something a little stronger than WG Paint Cleaner to bring back the shine you are looking for. :nixweiss

Post Thanks / Like
    I was questioning myself before when i traded in my black mx-5 to a red metallic one. My black car looked glossy and shiny from any angle while my red metallic kind of look dull from a certain angle but very glossy on some different angles. But after trying several products I found the best combo that really compliments the color. I now use meg`s hand polish which really brings out the color of the paint and makes it really glossy and topped with pinnacle signature. Yours might be a little different because you use sealant instead of carnauba wax and you cant apply a sealant on top of a glaze. Anyways, if you want to try something a little different try a glaze/wax combo, you might like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it`s all down to prep. I mean, I used to prep my car with Meguiars Paint cleaner, which is good but doesn`t really budge any swirls etc.

I now, however, use #80 speed glaze (leaves looking very wet), or ssr2.5 not as wet although gives more clarity and more reflections.

Next I use sometimes a less aggressive polish or a glaze, this can increase the gloss, I think the trick with metallics is to stay away from fillers (like most glazes) to get the real "pop." If you are after wet paint then go for it, I however prefer a 50/50 of wetness/gloss and "pop"

For my paint I use, ssr2.5 then ex-p followed by nattys.

Although I have some great products just arrived to try out including p21s! and EX.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the surface must be very well prepared and and polished. Then when you clean and protect (AIO in my case) and apply Sealant (SG) + wax (to top the sealant) the depth of the shine in the paint should look great .

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the answer is yes. In shade, metallic paint will give the same reflections as nonmetallic; in the sun, the metallic will tend to overpower the reflections though they can still certainly be there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am starting to not like metallics at all. I have a light blue ford, and UPP looks real nice on it, but no matter what i do, it looks like a shine ontop of the paint, not the paint itself.

I dunno if i explained it right, but most metallics just shout "this clear coat is real shiney"

Post Thanks / Like
    After properly prepping my car (clay, polish) then waxing, I am pleased with the finish. TW85 seems to be correct in that in the shade it does look very reflective but in the sun it seems as if the flakes and ultimate finish of the paint job get in the way of that "mirror" look.

Thanks for all your responses. I am hoping to learn a lot of different combinations to try.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO the two types of paint simply *look different*. Just as black ss lacquer looks *very* different from black b/c. I dunno if it`s really fair to compare things that are so different using better/worse. Some people are gonna like one type of paint a lot better than they like others.

With the untold number of silver cars I`ve had, I`ve only had two look *just* the way I wanted them to. But when I had black cars, it seemed like all I had to do was eliminate the marring, maybe add a glaze, then apply Souveran and presto- great appearance. Black was a lot of work, but the results were almost guaranteed to be stunning. No such guarantees with metallics.

Seems to me that it`s a lot easier to get metallics to look OK, but it`s *hard* to make them look really great.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also believe that metallic paints do not `shine` as well as non-mettalic. Jet black, non-metallic cars can look amazingly wet and flowing, like black liquid. Whereas metallic black cars tend to look amazingly reflective and hard glass like, like a black slab of marble.

I don`t believe product or prep will change this, in my opinion it is a characteristic of the paint type.

Post Thanks / Like
    Metallic red shines nice..

Post Thanks / Like
    Your car does look nice nailzer. But let`s say you had two cars side by side. Both same exact brand new cars, same products used, same color. Except one was metallic red and the other was non metallic red. Do you think that they will have the same "mirror" reflections?

I know they are different and have different qualities. I guess it`s a personal preference. Neither is better than the other. But I do think that you will see a major difference.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Accumalator suggests you`re comparing two different types of paint finish that reflect light very differently from each other

Not as extreme as comparing black with white or silver, but almost. Add a very subjective personal `likes` to the mix and fair comparison is very difficult.

The only solution is to try different sealant and LSP`s until the `look` of the vehicle is what you were searching for,

somewhat like the quest for the holy grail...

JonM

[Added] On silver-Zaino Z2PRO, Klasse AIO, Megs NXT these are all polymer sealants that will make silver stand out (pop), Pinnacle Signature Series Wax- is a low-solvent Carnauba wax (making it an ideal LSP) and polymer mix that is perfect for metallic painted surfaces and for light coloured vehicle paint, providing a clean bright shine.

Hope this helps

(just don`t tell your wife were you got the list from to spend money)
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL! Very true TOGWT it will definitely be a search for that "perfect combo" for my tastes. Believe me, I am enjoying the journey. My wife doesn`t as I have already forked over $800 in MF`s, brushes, polishes, waxes, sealants, soaps, tire gel, etc. etc. etc......

She already thinks that I am suffering from OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) because I talk about my car almost daily. Oh well, at least I am happy! That`s all that matters doesn`t it?

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quyote: She already thinks that I am suffering from OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder)

There are 20K others just like us on this forum, we all know of a cure but we`re ignoring it anyway
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information