Post Thanks / Like
    Hey folks,

I have read countless threads on zaino`s products (application, performance, testimonials, zealots vs. everyone else, etc.), but I cannot seem to locate the answer to this question:

Other than the z7, is there any other carwash shampoo that does not have an adverse affect on z2 Pro bonding/performance? I do plan on using z7 in my first zaino detail to get the full experience. However in the long run, one z7 bottle ($8.95) is not exactly cost-effective especially if used as per the instructions --> "Z-7â„¢ Show Car Wash will wash approximately 12 mid-size cars". According to several threads, one bottle of z2 Pro will last a *long* time...so you might as well throw in the fact that I would probably have to order another z7 bottle and pay $8.95 to ship this one bottle (flat shipping rates can be such a double-edged sword).

2 possible solutions that I have are this:

1) Use less than the recommended amount of z7 (1-1.5 capfuls instead of 2-3).

2) Find an alternative car wash shampoo that will not affect bonding (when layering additional z2 Pro coats) or will not strip the existing layers.

On a side note, I am very biased towards Meguiar`s NXT car wash shampoo due to excellent performance and the fact that I bought two 64oz jugs for $3 a piece when they closed out at WallyWorld. I do have GC, WG, and Eagle1 car wash shampoos as well.

If I follow this routine on 2 cars (mine and my wife`s):

1) NXT wash (removes general dirt)

2) Clay

3) Dawn (removes remaining polishes, waxes and oils)

4) AIO (I cannot speak more highly of this product - also removes remaining polishes, etc.)

5) z-1 --> z-2 Pro

6) z-7

7) z-2 Pro

8) z-7...........and so on

You can see where I *might* run out of shampoo. Anyways I greatly apologize about the long thread, and I do greatly appreciate any type of help and answers.

MCA

Post Thanks / Like
    I use EO and NXT on Zaino with no problems. Just stay clear of washes which contain waxes if you plan on applying new layers of Z2 Pro anytime soon.
    Later ......

Mike

Supernintendo Chalmers
    Post Thanks / Like
    *Non-scientific suggestion warning*

I only recently ordered the Zaino shampoo (pretty great stuff). Prior to that, I felt reasonably confident washing with most any non-gloss shampoo and QD`ing with Z6. Placebo effect, perhaps, but it seemed like the Z6 prepared the surface for the new Z2/5.

Give Sal a quick call to confirm this if you have the time--he`s pretty decent about a pithy answer.
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have followed the Zaino process and have the Z7. The Z7 is a good product. When ever I appy additional coats I always use it. But for quick wash and dry I use Black Magic, it smells good and works great. I picked it up at Wally world for $3.99 (34oz).

Post Thanks / Like
    After you lay down your Zaino (Z2, Z5 for example) you will be fine using another non-gloss shampoo for your weekly washes. You should use Z7 or Z6 in-between your back to back to back coats of Zaino.

For example: Use Z6 in between your Multiple coats of Z 2 or Z5 that you do in one day so to speak.

Use Z 7 if you decide to wash your car conventially and want to add another of Zaino later on ie, a week or month later. Does this make sense?

Post Thanks / Like
    My brother is getting good results on his van via tunnel car washes. Nearly 2 months now, lots of rain last month and it is still holding up nicely.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Z7 is a really nice wash. It is pricey though, especially after the shipping. I only use the Z7 when during a Zaino session. For regular washing I use Meg`s GC or NXT wash. Also a fan of Mother`s Cali Gold. (I`m a sucker for nice smelling shampoos.:p )

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    personally i think the compatibility of carwash soaps is a crock-use a non waxing soap like NXT or Gold Class and then wipe with your QD and then add another layer of Z- IMO its a add on for extra $$$$

Post Thanks / Like
    If you ever used Z7 shampoo you would notice that it is very effective for removing oily grime with the other dirt that may be on your finish. During the summer I will use almost any non-oil, non-wax and non-silicone containing wash to save on the Z7. Little did I notice until I started using less thorough and relative more gentle shampoos (ones that do not want to strip a carnuaba protectant), that worked great in the summer how effect Z7 really is for cleaning really difficult winter grime. There was a night and day different in the effort and pressure needs to remove winter grime on a white vehicle. Less rubbing and less pressure equates to me to be worth a slight increase in cost verses potential paint damage (swirls) during washing.

Flat shipping best can be made into a positive by calculating what one needs for let`s say a year of washing and QD`ing.

Example: If you calculate you will use 3 bottles / year. Order 3 bottles (~$36) of Z7 and technically the shipping and one bottle is free verses ordering 1 bottle 3 times (~$54) in a year.

Just a suggestion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by wannafbody

personally i think the compatibility of carwash soaps is a crock-use a non waxing soap like NXT or Gold Class and then wipe with your QD and then add another layer of Z- IMO its a add on for extra $$$$

I agree with you on using a soap with no wax to clean Zaino and I do this myself. I do however, buy, own and use Zaino Z7 wash soap too, just because it works so well. Although a little expensive, it really is one of the better soaps on the market, IMHO.

If money is no object, I`d still recommend using Z7 wash soap with Z2 Pro; the point I was really trying to make (especially for any new Zaino users), is that using Z7 is not absolutely necessary. Z2 Pro is durable enough to use with most high quality wash soaps without damaging the finish. I wish I could say the same about all LSP`s.
    Later ......

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey folks,

Thanks for all the replies. I think my plan is to use z-7 during bonding periods and use my NXT wash during normal washing. I greatly appreciate everyone`s response. I really do not have a problem with paying a higher price, but the product better *WOW!* me if I am to buy it again (especially if I pay double of a competing product). I got my detail lined up this weekend on the wife`s car so we`ll see how z-7 (and the rest of zaino) handles. Her car is always outdoors --> at the apartment and a her work so durability is of high priority...I have covered parking at the apt. and at work

MCA

Thread Information