Thread: Help a Noob

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello all this is my first post. I have a 2001 trans am Black. It is in pretty good shape, I clean it reguarly. I do everything by hand and will eventually be buying a PC in a few months. I want to switch from off the shelf products to something more durable and better looking. I`ve previously used Mcguiars products lastly NXT and like my results but they never last long with the car being black. I want to hear what is a good set up for polishing, waxing, sealing a black car like mine. REMEMBER i will be doing this by hand so please keep that in mind. I`ve really looked hard at Blackfire products, Zaino and Klasse. I am leaning towards the Zaino kit whcih has clay, polish, sealant, wash, etc. Help me please!

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to Autopia!

If you go with the Zaino kit you`ll need something containing abrasives to use first to remove any marring (swirls, etc.). This is always a chore to do by hand, and since Zaino requires a filler/oil-free surface you have to either use something without those ingredients (3M PI-III or PI-3000 products like their RC and MG/Swirl Remover) or use a produce that *does* contain them (e.g., Meg`s #80) and then use something like rubbing alcohol/water mix to remove said oils.

If you haven`t already done so, click on the "Learn" icon at the top of the screen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply. The zaino kit looks awesome but seems to have too many steps. Can I have some recommendations for product recommendations to use on a black paint. I`m somewhat on a budget and will be doing everything by hand. I looked at the mezerna (spelling?) twins and they look great but not sure if they are good for hand use. A list or two of everything I should get would be very helpful and also good for me to compare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not something like Klasse and use someone elses clay, shampoo etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I`d keep it pretty simple. Two polishes topped with wax. Think I`d use 1Z PP, then 1Z MP, then Meg`s #16 (if you can still find some). The 1Z polishes leave wax behind, so you don`t have to do all the steps at once. You could wash and clay, use one polish. After the next wash, use the second polish. After the third wash, apply the wax.

The 1Z polishes are good by hand. Another choice would be Meg`s #80 (don`t worry about the name, it`s an abrasive polish) topped with wax. It works well by hand too, I just prefer the 1Z stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would stay with NXT. It has pretty good swirl hiding, and after 2 coats not much looks better on black, imo...

In a couple months when you get a PC, there is alot you can do, but NXT is still very nice on even a perfect black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I`m thinking of going Poorboy`s polish and Zaino Z2Pro as a sealant. Any other recommendations besides the poorboy`s polish? I`ve heard its easy to use by hand. I`m really set on the Z2Pro so what else do I need to make this all happen and be compatible. Do I need to buy the specific zaino wash? I will also buy Z6. Regarding the Poorboy`s polish, do I need both the SSR 1 and 2.5 and which do I want to use first. Sorry for all the questions but I`m learning and you all are helping a lot. Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like
    I really need a polish that works well by hand that can take away swirls. Does such a polish exist? I`m so lost on what to do.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like
    if your car is a daily diver vs a garage queen i`d pick a good sealant-Blackfire is probably the best looking from what i`ve read-NXT is good-Wolfgang probably richer looking, and lastly Tropicare- i`ve used the TC and it looks glossy and caranuba like- I wipe with a 50 water 50 rubbing alcohol mixture to ensure good bonding and its beading 4 months after application-outside 24/7 in PA winter-Zaino will be clear and reflective-might not be the look you want on black

Thread Information