Post Thanks / Like
    While waiting at a light today I began to look at the black painted truck next to me. I saw what appeared to be circular marks in the paint from someone applying something in circular motions

1) is this what is known as spider marks or is it possibly circular defective cracks in the overcoat?

2) I used my PC with #82 on a side panel of my truck today. The paint definately looked better. What now? do you shine a bright light on it to see if you still have scratches? Do you buy a blacklight or is a flashlight alright to use?

3) what can you do about places on your hood that rocks have chipped off the paint? I have OEM touch-up paint. How much of the area do you have to surface prime? Do you fare the area like 3:1 (3 times the diameter of the chip) to blend in?

4) I have a 6.5" pad. Alot of threads say work an area 2` by 2`. Being I am the "work more is better" type of person wouldn`t you want to use the biggest pad possible to cover more surface area?

5) I have read, with alot of interest, people who use grade 000 steel wool to surface finish their windows...what`s up with that...do you do that by hand? what do you finish that bad boy off with? Is that the ultimate glass cleaner or what?

6) I still wonder how #80 could be so effective if it is just a mild finishing product? I am intrigued by the label "glaze" when everything else is a polish, wax. cleaner, compound or acrylic.

7) I am grateful to be an apprentice so I can pound these questions out. thanks for your patience

Post Thanks / Like
    1. The circular marks were probably swirl marks, which are caused by lots of things. IMO, circular motions doesn`t hurt anything if you have a clean pad or towel that you`re moving in the circular pattern.

2. Any bright light should work fine for spotting swirls. The best light source for this is the sun.

3. Click the LEARN button at the top of the screen. I think there is an article on touch-up painting.

4. I`m not sure about this one.

5. The steel wool grade is 0000 (4 zeros). It supposedly will not scratch glass. I used it a few times when I worked at a dealership, and I DID scratch someone`s window. I haven`t used it since.

6. Most manufacturers mislead consumers with their product names. They classify things as polishes that have no abrasive capabilities. :nixweiss

#80 can remove swirls quite well. It is more than a mild finishing product IMO.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    NEWB II the questions

While waiting at a light today I began to look at the black painted truck next to me. I saw what appeared to be circular marks in the paint from someone applying something in circular motions

1) is this what is known as spider marks or is it possibly circular defective cracks in the overcoat?

A: Apply any abrasive product (polish, cleaner wax, etc) in a linear motion; do not use circular movements, as these will produce swirl marks.

2) I used my PC with #82 on a side panel of my truck today. The paint definitely looked better. What now? Do you shine a bright light on it to see if you still have scratches? Do you buy a blacklight or is a flashlight all right to use?

A: Many here use a halogen or fluorescent inspection lights to inspect the paint finish,

3) what can you do about places on your hood that rocks have chipped off the paint? I have OEM touch-up paint. How much of the area do you have to surface prime? Do you fare the area like 3:1 (3 times the diameter of the chip) to blend in?

A: Search bettercarcare.com for an article on this subject by DavidB

4) I have a 6.5" pad. A lot of threads say work an area 2` by 2`. Being I am the "work more is better" type of person wouldn`t you want to use the biggest pad possible to cover more surface area?

A: Most detailers (including me) prefer to work a 2-foot x two-foot area as a max, but each to their own.

5) I have read, with a lot of interest, people who use grade 000 steel wool to surface finish their windows...what`s up with that...do you do that by hand? What do you finish that bad boy off with? Is that the ultimate glass cleaner or what?

A: Synthetic steel wool #0000 and a glass-cleaning product will remove most Ãâ‚ËœdirtÃâ‚â„ from a glass surface. Dependant upon glass thickness and if the windscreen is actually glass, many are made from a plastic resin and any grade of synthetic steel wool will cause scratches

6) I still wonder how #80 could be so effective if it is just a mild finishing product? The label Ãâ‚Å“glazeÃâ‚Â intrigues me when everything else is a polish; wax, cleaner, compound or acrylic.

A: Car care vendors have blurred the lines between products (some sealants are called polishes, or wax, etc) a polish is a product that contains abrasives, a sealant, wax (except a cleaner wax) or a glaze does not.

7) I am grateful to be an apprentice so I can pound these questions out. Thanks for your patience

A: Each one teaches another and then the student becomes a teacher

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Thread Information