Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all, I`m new to autopia and detailing. We`re purchasing our first new car and I`m doing research on how to protect the paint and finish. I`m learning all the jargon and steps to ensure the best finish over the life of the car.

Is there anything I should be doing to get the best start when first picking up the new car? The car had some very small marks/scratches and I asked the dealer to wax it but I think I should cancel that request, read the detailing guide here and handle it myself.

Anyone have any tips/suggestions to get my car started right and how to keep it perfect? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel the first step is claying.I have used Pinnacle and Meguiars products with good results. Spend some time kneading the clay, especialy in colder weather. With a new car any of the better waxes used by the people here: Pinnacle, Zaino, NXT to name a few will protect the finish. Invest in good micro fiber drying towels and wash mitt and car washing shampoo. I use big blue towels, and pinnacle wash. Never use automatic car washes, and treat the paint as it will scratch just by looking at it, because as a owner of a dark blue car, this seems to happen. Good luck, and use the search in this forum to learn everything you will need to know. Tom

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome To Autopia Cvette

The best suggestion I could make would be to read the `Guide to detailing`. Learn/practice the techniques discussed-washing, polishing and aplying protection. To cover detailing a vehicle inside and outside would take a multi-page bookâ€Â¦thatâ€â„¢s why DavidB wrote one.

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    First thing you should do is tell dont ask, the dealer not to touch the paint.

If you are a paint nut, you would ask for a new car because it isnt perfect

Post Thanks / Like
    CVette- Welcome to Autopia! I`m an ex-C5 owner myself

I really would be a bit concerned about how/why your new car has some "marks/scratches" on it. That really isn`t what you`re paying for when you buy new. I don`t know how far along you are in the purchase process, and I realize that it sounds pretty extreme, but I`ve refused delivery of new cars over stuff like that. That might not be practical for you, but remember that the only way to remove scratches is to remove clearcoat, and you can only do so much of that before you take off too much. I certainly *would not* let the dealer touch it any more.

If the new car is a `vette, note that the clear on those is generally considered a little tricky to work with. So give the whole "accepting an imperfect car" thing a lot of thought.

Sorry for sounding so pessimistic about your first new car, but anyhow...

Once you actually take delivery, study up as previously recommended. IMO the single biggest thing is learning to wash/dry without marring (i.e., scratching, "swirling") the finish. It really is a lot harder than most people would ever imagine.

Oh, almost forgot! If the dealership seems to have a competent service dept. (maybe a *big* "if"..) I`d have them remove the wheel weights (*without messing up the wheels*) and rebalance them with adhesive weights mounted on the inside (only). This will ensure that you don`t get permanent staining (that`ll drive you nuts when it comes time to replace the tires) from having the weights mounted the "usual" way.

Thread Information