Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I cant stop it from streaking. I havent used it since before NY got all this snow but am getting ready to try one more time.

My first attemp I used a slighty damp terry applicator, applied as thin as I could to entire car, Let dry for almost two hours and removed with first terry then microfiber towels. It took forever to remove and once I let it sit for a day the streaks came back. They still remained after another wash and QD the next weekend.

Second attempt on a different car was the same as the first besides I let it dry for an hour. Just as hard to get off and there was still streaks although alot less

3rd attempt (on a 3rd car) I tried applying with the WOWO method. It saved alot of time but still left a few streaks.

4th attempt WOWO with dry applicator. It was the easiest to remove and least steaks but there still was some there. I covered it with a Carnuba and they went away.

Can someone please help me with the easiest way to use this stuff effectively and not get any streaking? do i need a few layers before the streaks go away? or is this not ment to be used by hand

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My experience of SG streaking was when I was using too much product-

·Shake product container vigorously to ensure mixing

·Do not dampen the applicator with water or use any lubricating sprays during application.

·Apply to a clean, dry surface, with a temperature of >50 â€â€œ 90<o F, away from direct sunlight

·Place a small amount of product (about the size of a dime) on to a dry applicator (not the paint surface) and using a light to medium even pressure, apply a thin even film of product to paint surface.

·As an alternative, pour some SG into small misting spray bottle, this will enable you to cover the applicator while using the minimum amount of product, and this will ensure a super thin application.

Apply to whole vehicle (1-1.5oz should be sufficient for most vehicles) taking care not to apply to absorbent surfaces (i.e. unpainted plastics and rubber trim)

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks alot! I think the damp applicator was what was ruining it for me. What should I use to remove SG after It is dry or do I WO right away??

Post Thanks / Like
    Vicious- I prefer letting it set up as long as possible (usually overnight). I usually wipe it off with a suede-style MF. When I wipe it off, I "fog" the surface with my breath. The little bit of condensation helps the SG wipe off easily and it`s easy to see where you`ve removed it.

Thin thin thin. Most people advise the "dime size drop" that TOGWT mentioned, but i use *FAR* less than that. I apply it so thin that I can`t see it on the paint unless I fog it with my breath. I`ll use far less than an ounce to do our minivan. As long as you don`t miss any spots, I can`t imagine anybody putting it on *too* thin. I go by feel since I can`t see where it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TOGWT

·As an alternative, pour some SG into small misting spray bottle, this will enable you to cover the applicator while using the minimum amount of product, and this will ensure a super thin application.

:xyxthumbs The best method! If you use a yellow applicator, remember the SG soaks in, so a little will go a long way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just did my 4Runner the other day. The process I use is to apply AIO, buff off then apply the SG with a Microfiber pad misting it lightly with Eagle One Wet & Shine.

I`ll leave it on the vehicle for 24hrs then buff off with cotton towels. I`ve tried to use the microfiber towels but they don`t seem to remove the SG very well. Using the Eagle One Wet & Shine allows me to apply the SG thin.

I`m going to be trying Wolfgang and UPP`s on my other vehicles this spring just because I don`t want to have to wait 24hrs in between coats. Everyone seems to agree that these are easier to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    The QD ia an interesting method. DavidB recommended putting the SG in a mister pump spray with a tiny amount of Sonus QD.

Just thought I`d chime in. shelshel`s post made me think of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have mine in a small spray bottle, I apply a tiny, tiny amount to a slightly QD-dampened mf pad, let it sit over night to 24 hrs and then buff off with a mf
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can`t see it going on, then you are applying it correctly. I also noticed that the furher I get time wise from the initial application of AIO, the more difficult it was to apply and remove.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it`s basibally impossible to apply SG without getting some streaks. As a rule I always remove with Sonus QD and no problems. I also mix 3 parts Sonus QD w/1 part SG for a stronger QD (per David.

UPP and WG are so much easier but I always put a few coats of SG for durability.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve never had any streaking problems with SG. I just apply it very thin. I would say that I use WOWO about half the time. Everyonce in a while, I let it sit overnight. I`ve never found any differences in the results.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve always had good luck with SG, except the last time. It did streak and i just breath fogged the surface to get it off.

A few different variables might have cause my problems the last time. Such as, my shop was hot and dry that day and i was maybe doing a little too much area before wiping. It was drying too fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don`t think misting an SG applicator with a QD is a good idea .. your changing the chemistry of the product as it is applied to the surface.
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Sun Blinded Detailer Mochamanz1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Spilchy

The QD ia an interesting method. DavidB recommended putting the SG in a mister pump spray with a tiny amount of Sonus QD.

Just thought I`d chime in. shelshel`s post made me think of it.

I was going to add a comment about the Sonus QD. I wipe the entire car down with the QD and let it sit for a couple hours. Next I mist some Sonus QD on my applicator or pad. I use a very small amount of SG, just enough to barely see from an angle. I have never had streaking problems with SG using the sonus (which I think contains a similar polymer)
    Prep is everything .. The rest is the window looking in....

Post Thanks / Like
    What brand and type misting bottle have you guys used for SG?

I`ve tried at least ten different spray heads and I can only get a solid stream from the sprayer without even a hint of misting. Could my SG be of a higher viscosity than most samples?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information