Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    ive got a black firebird, so im one of thoes people that think they have the nicest car on the road ... lol.

so after ive taken my car anywhere, and i come home to find dust all over the side doors and back bumper, i always go to the MF towels to get it off. however ive noticed that i have so many swirls on my car now that its not believeable at least to me. What im asking is, could i be damaging the paint by always wiping off the dirt/dust? what is the safest way to clean it off?

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using a quick detailing spray when wiping off the dust?
    A well-prepared surface will make any wax look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    nope, i just have nxt tech wax and its booster wax.

should i be using one?

Post Thanks / Like
    here are some pictures of the horribleness which i have described, what needs to be done? I have a PC, but haven`t used it, and im going to wait until we get some better weather here in michigan. which will be a while..

until then whats the safest way to clean it?

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wiping a spot of dirt / dust with your hands to maintain a â€Ëœpristineâ€â„¢ look (most common cause of surface scratching). Using too much pressure, or using a dry car duster on a dusty / dirty surface

You could try a quick detailer (QD) and a Microfiber cloth or a California Duster

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    O`SNAP! You are going to have to use your PC to get that out. Or polish by hand.

Days between washing for me. I drive about 80 t0 100 miles a day in town. So if it didnt get rained on, then I use:

California Car Duster to remove the dust and crap. Then I use a QD (Quick Shine) to get what the CCD leaves behind. Plus it makes it slick and shiney for the next day. You will still get some marring if you do it everyday like me. But VM every 3 or 4 weeks usually takes care of it. I apply a topper (Carnuba or a Sealent) about every 10-15 days. So that helps to. Its really a never ending battle with a daily driver.....
    2004 Cobra

466rwhp/481rwtq

2003 Accord

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are near Grand Rapids Michigan I would be happy to offer a hand getting things back to the condition you want.

PM me if you are interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    hehe Scott is like me (and I guess several other people on here) busting to get to work on that car, knowing that it can be massively improved

Post Thanks / Like
    pm`ed you

Post Thanks / Like
    2000firebird - I know many here will disagree, but IMO the only truly safe way to clean your paint is to wash it. No CCD, no Qding, nothing but the full wash process. Seems many people induce marring even when they *wash*. If I don`t have time to wash (and I mean do it properly, using my "extreme wash method") then I just leave it dirty.

Post Thanks / Like
    are there any detailers here in michigan, the swirls are really starting to just make me hate the car, and i dont want that to happen

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

2000firebird - I know many here will disagree, but IMO the only truly safe way to clean your paint is to wash it. No CCD, no Qding, nothing but the full wash process. Seems many people induce marring even when they *wash*. If I don`t have time to wash (and I mean do it properly, using my "extreme wash method") then I just leave it dirty.

Completely agree. The first step is to stop causing more damage.

I do understand your frustration which can give negative feelings towards a car but take heart, from the pictures it does look as is the paint can be made to look great again

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Accumulator

Agree 100%
    PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    the paint looks good and shiny away from light, but when you look with the light circle in the paint, then you can see it. heres a great example.

(car is actually black, lol.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 2000firebird

the paint looks good and shiny away from light, but...

Yep, that`s the way it works.

If you don`t want to fix it yourself I hope you can find an Autopian nearby who can help you out.

If it were mine (and I had a few black F-bodies back in the day ), I`d try doing it myself. Get yourself the right stuff, work small areas at a time, and come up with a product/procedure combo that works to your satisfaction. While black shows every flaw, you can also easily tell how well your work is turning out. Do all your work in harsh, unforgiving lighting (not just fluorescents or in the shade).

Pick some user-friendly products so it doesn`t turn into a huge PIA. I`d probably go with 1Z polishes (Paint Polish and Metallic Polish or Wax Polish Soft), or 3M PI-III RC and MG (05933 and 05937), or maybe Meg`s #80. See how you do. Work one spot until you can see you`re getting it right. FWIW, I don`t think *anything* would be easier to learn with than the 1Z products and since they leave wax behind you don`t always have to do another "wax step" after you finish polishing, which can be nice when you`ve been working on it all day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information