Post Thanks / Like
    After searching the forum, I couldn`t find any discussion on this. I occasionally have 2000-2002 Buick Park Avenues come through my shop, and I haven`t been able to find any product that would restore the black plastic trim on the B-pillars. The dealer wants me to just buy replacements, but I`m not convinced I have to do that. Has anyone had any luck with this?

Thanks,

CEM

Post Thanks / Like
    Well if its slick black plastic, a paint cleaner has worked in that area fo rme in the past. If its textured a trim dressing should work.

You could also try some of the trim dye, you should be able to find something on it through searching. But if they are scratched or its impssible to get them to look the way you want and the dealership is picking up the tab, I would just replace them then put something on them to protect the new finish. Almost anything you do to the old ones will fade away pretty quickly except for the dye. Trim can be a big PITA sometimes, good luck.
    If other drivers don`t swerve when they see the shine of your car, your not done yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, q_tip. I`ve tried various paint cleaners and a couple of dressings to no avail. I`ll look into the trim dye. That may work. I have a picture to attach, but I can`t figure out how to do it.

Cem
    Drive Fast, Take Chances

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that TOP of the Line has a trim dying package available. You may want to check their webiste.
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi CEM

I believe the answer to your problem is to click

Detailing Trim. It certainly fixed it for me.

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Cal. I have to do the car tomorrow. I`ll let you know what happened!

01bluecls, I also checked out TOP of the Line on the web. It looked like a possibility if all else fails from stuff I can get at the local store. Thanks for the reply!
    Drive Fast, Take Chances

Post Thanks / Like
    My method that has worked on everything so far

1. Clearkote vanilla moose

2. Clearkote chocolate moose

3. Autoglym bodyshop 07B

4. Wolfgang black diamond or forever black

5. Klasse SG multiple coats

The top exterior trim on my falcon is a *****.

Any time it rains, water spots get left on it and also the black look goes away, even with sealants on them

I have to clearkote VM every time this happens and then 07B and wolfgang

Last night when I did this again due to bad rains in last few days, I tryed menzerna FMJ which just arrived and it made the black darker, like SG does with enough coats on.

Experiment alot to find the combo which works

My B pillar plastics have 10 coats of klasse sg on them and I reckon my car is the only AU bar one or two once in a blue moon that I see that still has totally black, unscratched/unmarked B pillar plastics

Most AU`s pillars paint gets chipped, scratched and oxidised and in the middle of the two plastic pieces, there are white dots everywhere top to bottom.

very thin coating from the factory.

Klasse, p21s wax and other sealants work a treat
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey SVR...

That sounds like one heck of a lot of work.

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant, period. :xyxthumbs

Have you tried it?

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t tried the products you mentioned above, but one product I DO use regularly that I know works extremely well is GM Trim Restorer. It may sound funny, General Motors selling trim restorere, but it`s definitely true. My cousin gets it from the dealer he works for. He says it was designed to solve a huge expensive problem they were having with the truck/suv model that looks like its made of plastic. The truck that can turn into an suv- i forget the model. Anyway most of the customers were coming back and trying to warranty out all the plastic because it drys out and cracks and looks like A$S. This trim restorer is extremely durable, it makes gray dried out plastic look dark black again, makes it glossy for 3-4 months at a time, and goes on extremely easy. It`s not a dye, its actually bluish white in color. A little goes a long way, but the product is expensive as far as i know. I have done a few vehicles with it, and have never had to go back again, but its only been 4 months at most.

Post Thanks / Like
    CEM I have textured plastic around the bottom of my Passat and it eventually dulls and goes off color. One area just in front of the rear wheels also gets pelted with sand and rock in the winter.

If the area your dealing with is a pebblie textured black I would try Forever Black Tire Gel on it. Its a water based dye and dries in a few minutes and once dry it is rather perminent. It lasts me +/- 3 months and 30/40 washings.

It can even be dressed with 303 Armoral etc.

The bottom of the rear valance in this pix has a couple of months on it .

Forever Black also makes a Trim Restorer but I don`t know how it works.

PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try AIO first. It has always brought any black trim (shiny or dull) back to looking its best. Follow up with some 303, that should do it.:xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Cal

Hey SVR...

That sounds like one heck of a lot of work.

I use 303 Aerospace Protectant, period. :xyxthumbs

Have you tried it?

Not really, I love doing it, normally spend 20 hours a week on the car.

The results speak for themselves

Have tried 303 and it`s brilliant for coating new or rejuvinated int/ext trim and door seals but when you get sun & water damaged, faded or oxidised trim, you have to do prep work.

Slapping on even the worlds best dressing won`t do jack

The trim on my car I mentioned won`t even be restored by a all in one rubber and vinyl product. Clearkote is the only one that does the job.

07B makes it black again but the water marks remain.
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys. What I ended up doing that seems to have worked was use Meg`s Swirl Mark Remover, then 3M`s Finishing Compound. After letting it set for a day, it still looks good.

GTO, I like the idea of the GM restorer, but how much $ for how many ounces?

Jess, how did you get your pic on your posting? I really wanted to show a pic of what I was dealing with. (Nice Passat BTW!)
    Drive Fast, Take Chances

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CEM

Jess, how did you get your pic on your posting? I really wanted to show a pic of what I was dealing with. (Nice Passat BTW!)

Sign up at http://photobucket.com/register.php and you can upload and store pix for free then once uploaded you right click on them then properties and past the addy in the dialog box you get when you click on the IMG button in the reply window.

PMS Adjuster

This he is a she

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by CEM

...GTO, I like the idea of the GM restorer, but how much $ for how many ounces? ...

well, actually I cant find the price, i looked online and dont see it. I can ask my cousin who works at the Chevrolet dealer. I just know its expensive as hell. It was made for the problem with the Avalanche and its crappy plastic that looks bad after every few months.

Thread Information