Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m just curious, how the common carnubas stack up against the high end sealants in terms of UV protection. I know many sealants try to sell the product on the fact that it protects from "harmful" UV rays, but how do the common carnubas (Meg`s #16, p21s, nattys, etc.) perform?

Do carnubas contain UV absorbers like many sealants do?
    I eat Vegans

Post Thanks / Like
    A good carnauba will give excellent UV protection!

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Carnauba is the worldâ€â„¢s purest, hardest and most transparent natural wax repellent derived from the Brazilian palm Copernia Cerefera. This wax coats the leaves and is hydrophobic; it forms a barrier that is a natural protection from the suns UV radiation, acid rain, airborne pollutants and acidic bird excrement.

Ultra violet (UV) protection is not water-soluble and the use of petroleum distillates (cyclo paraffin) enables them to be included as an oil-in-water emulsion in wax, polymer sealants, various plastics and rubber and vinyl dressings.

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, a Carnauba will give UV protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like the other said, carnaubas have UV protection, and some have additional ingredients to give even more UV protection.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m still looking for a wax with guaranteed UV protection. My previous car was dark red and I kept it waxed regularly with different products, both natural carnauba and synthetics. However, 4 years later, there was a bit of fading on the top surfaces.

I`d like to here more on people`s experiences with UV protection of waxes.

Post Thanks / Like
    The topic of UV protection in a car wax/sealer seems to be, at best, a grey area. Iâ€â„¢m not an expert on this by any means, but I have read a little here and there on this subject.

*My* thinking on this is the top coat of clear (paint) is designed to contain UV protection, while our waxes/sealers are the sacrificial barriers that protect this coat of clear.

Iâ€â„¢m sure this topic can (and will) be debated for quite some time, but FWIW here are links to two completely different views on the subject. One is from Meguairâ€â„¢s and the other is from Optimum Spray Wax:

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/_index.c...ection=_18#_18

http://www.topoftheline.com/spray-wax.html

Optimum Spray Wax is a relatively new product for most of us and they do make some fairly substantial claims as to their UV protection levels. At this point it just seems that youâ€â„¢ll have to decide for yourself who is right and who is wrong.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    This is an interesting topic becuase I thought all waxes would automatically protect your car from the sun. To me, that is one of the basic reasons one would actually take the time to apply wax
    Passionate pursuit of perfection....in every aspect of detailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bcwang

I`m still looking for a wax with guaranteed UV protection. My previous car was dark red and I kept it waxed regularly with different products, both natural carnauba and synthetics. However, 4 years later, there was a bit of fading on the top surfaces.

If it was a single stage red paint job and you only waxed but never polished, it will fade over time. There isn`t a product in the world that will prevent single stage paint from fading over time. You need to polish ss paints at least twice a year.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my gosh........we`re still on this one?

Just get a can (or jar) of carnauba and go to it!

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A paint requires oils to resist oxidation and as Scottwax stated the best way to provide them is by applying an oil rich polish.

A clear coat which has a thickness of 2-3Mils is the primary UVR radiation protection, A Carnauba wax will provide a sacrificial UVR barrier but it doesnâ€â„¢tâ€â„¢ have durability and must be renewed on a regular basis. Single stage paints only protection against UVR damage is an applied oil rich polish and a Carnauba wax.

Not all sealants contain UVR protection, as I alluded to in the previous post, it is not water-soluble and it is very expensive as it uses Cyclo paraffin, a petroleum distillate, which goes though further purification adding to its costs, to enables it to be included as an oil-in-water emulsion.
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found that the residue in carnauba wax does last (despite a hot or cold climate). It is the level of clarity and shine that will be subject to wear over time. From what I`ve observed, an old carnauba wax deposit that has lost its sheen will still protect the finish.

If you do not remove the carnauba residue (which contains dirt and oxidation), then in addition to the lack of a sheen and smooth feel, you will see dullness and a cloudy appearance on your paint.

For a car that`s outside, however, in a hot climate you will need to replenish with wax at least once a month in order to maintain the luster and shine quality. The protection will be there much longer than the wax`s shine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Scottwax

If it was a single stage red paint job and you only waxed but never polished, it will fade over time. There isn`t a product in the world that will prevent single stage paint from fading over time. You need to polish ss paints at least twice a year.

Actually, it is the original paint job on a 2000 mustang, which has a clearcoat. The clearcoat surface looked fine, but underneath you can tell some patches are a little lighter red than other parts of the car. Especially evident on the roof and spoiler in their centers. I almost thought it was just some optical illusion from lighting that I never noticed before. But once I saw a new one I knew something faded. I took care of the finish as best as I could, but it was out in the sun most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I need to do some testing on my own. Anybody know where to get metal panels with oem equivalent paint jobs in colors of my own choice? Any ideas how much they may cost?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say go to a salvage yard and pick up a body panel from a late model wreck.

From reading the posts and what you have been saying, maybe the paint failed. Was anything left on the paint for too long? Any type of chemicals that may cause the paint to fade?? Just a suggestion.. I have never heard of a fairly new, well maintained, kept indoors paint job fading like that.
    A clean car runs better

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information