Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had very good results with Meguiars 2 step process cleaner/conditioner. It cleaned my extremely dity mark VIII seats without a problem. Here are the links to the products:

http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguia...-110&store=meg

http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguia...-111&store=meg

Just thought I would share my personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for so many ideas. I had some DetailPlus Citrus Cleaner on hand and Bud assured me it was safe and would work. I used an upholstery brush and the cleaner. It really did a great job- door panels and leather looked new. After my third pre-work picture, my camera froze. Sorry- no pics.

Malco is sending me some cleaner and conditioner to try, and I will try Woolite/water sometime soon.

Overall, it was much better at cleaning than my previous method.

Thanks again, Rob
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve always used a Woolite / distilled water to clean leather, didn`t care for Lexol as I found it somewhat sticky.

A Citrus-based cleaner might be a little acidic for leather (neutral to slightly alkaline is the generally preferred method)

For leather that Woolite wonâ€â„¢t clean (very rare in my experience) Iâ€â„¢d use Leatherique Pristine Clean.

One-step Products- because of the inherent problems with cleaning chemicals single-step leather products have a history of either cleaning or conditioning, but not doing either one very well. Cleaning and conditioning of leather require very different and often incompatible formulas, and require separate and specific products for a thorough job.

I should qualify these statements as Iâ€â„¢m not a full time professional with their time / money constraints.
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TOGWT

I`ve always used a Woolite / distilled water to clean leather, didn`t care for Lexol as I found it somewhat sticky.

You found Lexol Leather Cleaner to be sticky? I have heard people say that about the conditoner(not my experience though) but never heard it about the cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had success with Stoners trim cleaner for really bad dirt followed with lexol cleaner/lexol conditioner. I use a soft bristle nail brush to loosen up the dirt. A MF to wipe clean. I have done this to two different `88 Buick Reattas that were filthy.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got some Woolite tonight and will use it next time to compare the citrus cleaner.

Rob

Is the mixture 50/50?
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

Post Thanks / Like
    No. 6:1 water:Woolite
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Muchas gracias!

Rob
    Robert and Susan Regan

Towel Pros Microfiber

Post Thanks / Like
    Can someone explain the Woolite mix?

I have some tough leather to clean coming up, black rubber from slicks placed in the back seat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m confused by the Woolite mix. I`ve never used it, but I thought that to *properly* clean leather you had to use a pH balanced cleaner so that you didn`t remove natural oils in the leather. For this reason, I stopped using DOW Scrubby Bubbles with a MF (and green scrubby pad for marks) though it worked very well if anyone wants to try it.

I have used Lexol cleaner and when properly used (some sort of water mixture following application, pre-conditioning) it really cleans well and makes it much easier to apply conditioner. Right now, I`m misting water on the leather, using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and wiping down with a MF.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Woolite mixture and still do for some light leather cleaning, but I think Z9 is truly a wonderful cleaner. Z9 and Z10 are the two items that customers always buy from me after I detail their car with them. I just wish Zaino gave discounts for cases on their leather products. I use cotton or mf with Z9 and foam applicators for z10.
    A day without a scrub busting my chops is like a day w/o sunshine. :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    I have also had good luck with Z-9 but sometimes with tougher stains Woolite will do a better job. Z-10, however, is the best final stage product for leather I have used.
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

97 bonneville/98 Z71
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about using folex or 303 cleaner/spot remover or 303 fabric cleaner on leather? I`ve talked to Roger at 303 and he says that 303 would be safe. The folks at Folex also told me this would be safe also, but test in a spot first.

These products are safe if used on water safe material, such would only apply to finished/coated leather.
    "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m surprised that not one person has mentioned using a vapor steamer. I`ve used one and seen one in action many times and they work well. Rob with your connections in the Industry you should be able to pick one up fairly cheep.

Ron Harris

Concours Auto Salon

Authorized Modesta Paint Coatings Applier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Woolite and water also makes a good all purpose cleaner for around the house.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information