Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Professional Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gonzo,

That`s the funniest thing I`ve read in a long time!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Peter,

I understand your concern, but i really doubt that any Law that bans washing your car on your driveway will hold up in court. I`ve seen too many coin-op car washes, Laundermats, sprinkler runoff, pools, spas, and fountains waist much more water than the average person washing their car on their driveway. I doubt the Governator would even sign such a law, being that he owns such large homes and large cars. Besides, the parts of the article you were citing were simply about some lady being recognized for something she did, meaning its not a LAW.... I`d like to see the whole article if you have a link.

Until they actually show enforcement of this policy, i will continue to wash my car in the same autopian-manner as i have since joining this forum last year. I see NO way they can enforce this, and I forsee many court challenges if they even tried (i`m sure the ACLU would be one of the first). I challenge any sort of "imminent domain" issues that the CA agencies can try and pull on this issue. No sensible judge would up hold the validity of this policy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by The Uncle

I spend $370,000 on a home with a garage so I can wash and wax my car every weekend. No way I am giving that up!

Where in L.A. can one find a house with a driveway and garage for $370,000 ?

Please, let me in on your secret !!! :bounce

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank God I don`t live in California.

This and the San Fran tax of $0.17 on grocery bags! Hilariously bad over-regulation.

I doubt washing my car in my driveway does any harm whatsoever to the environment. I`d like to see any real strong scientific evidence that supports the harm idea.
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    What is in the "runoff" from washing cars?

The same dust and dirt that lies around on top of the Earth all over the place.

Bird poop, tree sap, diesel particulates, etc., etc.

Giving this logic it should be illegal to RAIN !! What with all that runoff...

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by wblynch

LOL, The Uncle must have bought a while ago, or lives in a neighborhood where there are bars on every window and has to hide behind his car during driveby`s!:p

J/K Uncle, know how the housing market is here in SoCal!:shocked No way would I give up my driveway on a quiet street either!:up

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RCBuddha

Peter,

I understand your concern, but i really doubt that any Law that bans washing your car on your driveway will hold up in court. I`ve seen too many coin-op car washes, Laundermats, sprinkler runoff, pools, spas, and fountains waist much more water than the average person washing their car on their driveway. I doubt the Governator would even sign such a law, being that he owns such large homes and large cars. Besides, the parts of the article you were citing were simply about some lady being recognized for something she did, meaning its not a LAW.... I`d like to see the whole article if you have a link.

Until they actually show enforcement of this policy, i will continue to wash my car in the same autopian-manner as i have since joining this forum last year. I see NO way they can enforce this, and I forsee many court challenges if they even tried (i`m sure the ACLU would be one of the first). I challenge any sort of "imminent domain" issues that the CA agencies can try and pull on this issue. No sensible judge would up hold the validity of this policy.

My concern is..or should be.. the concern of us all.

That was the whole article... and it was about her being recognized for her good work..."The governor and the state`s Environmental Protection Agency wrote that Weiss` work sends a clear and concise message about the harmful effects of driveway washing and the importance of community collaboration, the article said."

Now I don`t know about you, but I read that as hearty endorsement by government and the carwash industry that driveway washing is a serious problem that must be dealt with. "Community Collaberation" means local regulations aimed at prohibiting this practice.

Law is what follows that.

Waiting until a law is passed and then defying government to enforce it is not the way to go..IMO...working to prevent the law in the first place is.

I may be alone in thinking that the ACLU won`t waste a moment on your right to wash your car in your driveway...but I`ll take that chance.

As an interesting side note..today`s Denver Post has a page 1 article about water useage. Seems water useage is down to levels not seen since 1969..despite a 65% increase in users in that time. We had a short term washing and lawn watering ban..but other conservation efforts are what really made the difference.

The article can be read here

Water Useage Article

Of course that`s Denver..not LA...but I`ve heard you`ve had some rain.

Peter..in Denver

Post Thanks / Like

What is in the "runoff" from washing cars?

The same dust and dirt that lies around on top of the Earth all over the place.

Bird poop, tree sap, diesel particulates, etc., etc.

Giving this logic it should be illegal to RAIN !! What with all that runoff...
    Gotta agree, there`s WAY more toxins in the air, streets and pavement than on our cars! Runoff from rains are nasty!

100 posts! Sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I bought it only eight months ago, several years after the boom. I live in a reasonably nice section of Glendale. However, I do not have a single family home, I have a townhouse. The townhouse has a nice two car garage. There is shared driveway with several other units, but room enough for me to park my car out front and wash and wax it.

Believe it or not, I moved to Glendale from the westside largely because I wanted to have my own garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lets clean up goverment waste and buy everybody all the water they want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahnold won`t pass this, and I`m surprised noone has mentioned it yet. He drives serveral H1s, and I believe and H2 as well. I don`t think he gives a damn about the environment. Why?

Because: He`s not an environmental girly man!
    -Glenn Jr.

There is always room to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Believe it or not, I moved to Glendale from the westside largely because I wanted to have my own garage.
    Spoken like a true Autopian!:up

Eight months is eight months, your place has probably appreciated over $80k since then.

Ahnold won`t pass this, and I`m surprised noone has mentioned it yet. He drives serveral H1s, and I believe and H2 as well. I don`t think he gives a damn about the environment. Why?

Because: He`s not an environmental girly man!
    LOL, I would have to agree, this kind of thing just doesn`t seem like him unless it helps the state budget somehow. Just giving lip service to someone doing a job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Horrors! People may start washing their own car and discover they can do it without applying swirl marks like our beloved commercial washes do.

Next they will start to enjoy waxing their own cars!

Hey I know...let`s ban orbital and rotary usage to only those who have body shops! We are only trying to prevent arm injuries after all.

Next we can ban garden hoses. They pose a risk to citizens tripping! We can`t have that!

Now let`s see...I`m off to Sanfransissy to tax plastic bags...
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

Post Thanks / Like

What is in the "runoff" from washing cars?...
    Soap Suds.

Fairly benign but if you`re not willing to drink it chances are it`s at least a little detrimental to something downstream.

The main thing is that the car soap lobby isn`t as active as the commercial carwash lobby or the lobbies for all the other crap we dump on the ground.

Originally posted by MongooseGA

Ahnold won`t pass this, and I`m surprised noone has mentioned it yet. He drives serveral H1s, and I believe and H2 as well. ...
    His gas guzzlers are a big joke around California.

He probably figures he can stand with to the carwash lobby because he doesn`t wash them himself.

I wonder who details all those Arnimobiles? A commercial carwash? Yeah, right.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by The Uncle

Actually, I bought it only eight months ago, several years after the boom. I live in a reasonably nice section of Glendale. However, I do not have a single family home, I have a townhouse. The townhouse has a nice two car garage. There is shared driveway with several other units, but room enough for me to park my car out front and wash and wax it.

$370,000 for a townhouse:shocked . That is insane. You could get a mansion around here for that.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread Information