Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve got an old porshe and the tailights extend all the way across the back of the car. And, they are in pretty sad shape...cloudy is the best way I know to describe them.

What are your suggestions on how to get them back to the original shine? I`ve used NOVUS with an orbital buffer and they came back a little but still pretty sad.

Is there a specific thread or "how to" you can point me to, please? Should I be looking at some wet-sanding? I`d really appreciate some step by step suggestions.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure. Do a search for GSRStylez and tailights. He had a thread posted a while back with excellent info. If I get another second I`ll look up the link for you. Found it!

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...ht=tail+lights
    -Glenn Jr.

There is always room to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Thanks Glenn!

Post Thanks / Like
    When I read Aluminum polish bells went off in my memory. Here`s a couple of pics of the first results of Mother`s Mag and Aluminum polish applied per the other link, buffed out with a microfibre and one thin coat of Meguiars paste wax (all I had). I`m REALLY happy!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    My tail lights are in good shape,not great but good, so i used top of the lines light cut on them with a white polish pad, and they look like glass now.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...sorry noob question...what`s "top of the lines light cut?" White polish pad if for ur buffer correct? Where can I look to find out about the different grades of buffing pads and what each is used for?

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BJM250

...sorry noob question...what`s "top of the lines light cut?" White polish pad if for ur buffer correct? Where can I look to find out about the different grades of buffing pads and what each is used for?

Thank you.

I assume he`s referring to Light Cut, sold by TOL (Top of the Line). It`s a polish I would think.

There has been talk about putting together a list of all of the pads availiable and their use (Cutting, polishing, finishing, etc...) I don`t know if a new one had been made, but there was something mentioned about one already on the site some where. Do a quick search and see what you get.
    -Glenn Jr.

There is always room to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    i use mag + al polish applied with a paper or cotton towel for bad oxidaion

lor light work regular toothpaste works fine
    Black Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by BJM250

When I read Aluminum polish bells went off in my memory. Here`s a couple of pics of the first results of Mother`s Mag and Aluminum polish applied per the other link, buffed out with a microfibre and one thin coat of Meguiars paste wax (all I had). I`m REALLY happy!

WOW, MOTHERS mag and aluminum polish for plastic tail lights? Have to try that out myself. What about using plastic polish?

its naturally curly...... 6cyl's_of_fury's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have had good sucess polishing the "yellow" out of a few friends plastic head lights with Megs PlastX by hand with a terry applicator. Followed up with AIO - perfecto!
    Detail your car, do it. No seriously, do it.

The Black Beast

Post Thanks / Like
    Megs PlastX works well.

Post Thanks / Like
    First, I`d always try a chemical cleaner to see if it will work. Next, Zaino has a lightly abrasive plastic polish that is perfect for that. It would be worth a try before doing the drastic dangerous polishing as shown by GR. Mothers is one of my favorite products so it doesn`t suprise me that it would work too, I think mothers has light abrasives and strong chemicals. Maybe it would be worth giving mothers a shot by itself in similar situations. Seamed like it worked well.
    A day without a scrub busting my chops is like a day w/o sunshine. :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TheShinyMama

WOW, MOTHERS mag and aluminum polish for plastic tail lights? Have to try that out myself. What about using plastic polish?

++ Exactly. It was suggested in the thread by GSRstyleZ who after some reading of his posts, I`ve gathered a lot of respect for. I had tried NOVUS plastic polish which I`ve used on other cars for several years repeatedly on these lights and never could break the haze on/in the plastic. This one worked the first time.

I`ve since used it on the taillights of an 87 Bronco II with the same great results. I`m sure there are other products but I very much appreciate GSRstyleZ`s suggestion and Wayne for pointing me there. :up

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve used Mothers Plastic Polish on my Alfa and a few cars that I`ve detailed.

It removed all the dulling/hazing and most of the scratches. It left the surface with a glossy polymer finish.

I`ll have to give their mag and aluminium polish a go.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a member on another forum (Buick Reatta), I am surprised not to see any mention of AeroShell Flight Jacket Plexicoat. Has anyone used this on their tail light lenses, and the result?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information