Post Thanks / Like
    I was watching TV and saw a good tip for cleaning glass, wipe the outside of the window with vertical strokes and the inside with horizontal strokes so if you have any streaks you know which side they are on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Props for posting that up, I would have never thought to do it.

I need a good tint safe glass cleaner too, hmm...

Swirls?!?! NNOOOOOOO!!!!! Big Leegr's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to check the "review" section for a glass cleaner that might suit your needs.

As far as I know, any glass cleaner that doesn`t contain ammonia should be safe for tinted windows.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great tip that never fails to show where you missed the first time :up
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    This tip was in Guru Reports as well.
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve found that using a specific glass cleaning cloth eith a fine `nap` like Norwex makes a big diffrence, this Microfiber 18Ãâ‚Â x 18Ãâ‚Â glass cleaning cloth is so effective (use damp) at cleaning glass that often a glass cleaner chemical (StonerÃâ‚â„s Invisible Glass) isn`t even necessary. It features a very low-pile cut in a zigzag pattern, which literally attracts and removes off gassing, residue, smudges and oily fingerprints. Its efficient cleaning action is truly a time saver. (detailersparadise.com)

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Professional Detailer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have found that using two seperate MF`s to clean glass is quick and thorough. I spray the glass cleaner on the glass(winsheilds I spray on the MF) then wipe with the first towel followed by the second. Comes out PERFECT everytime. I use Bon Ami Glass and Surface Cleaner and have found nothing that compares. Thanks to Guru Reports for that tip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I also have found that MegaPlush towels work very well on glass. I prefer either Invisible Glass or 1Z Scheibenklar as the cleaner.
    Lee
    ES330 in Millenium Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TOGWT

I`ve found that using a specific glass cleaning cloth eith a fine `nap` like Norwex makes a big diffrence, this Microfiber 18Ãâ‚Â x 18Ãâ‚Â glass cleaning cloth is so effective (use damp) at cleaning glass that often a glass cleaner chemical (StonerÃâ‚â„s Invisible Glass) isn`t even necessary. It features a very low-pile cut in a zigzag pattern, which literally attracts and removes off gassing, residue, smudges and oily fingerprints. Its efficient cleaning action is truly a time saver. (detailersparadise.com)

JonM

That`s my procedure as well. No glass cleaner whatsoever.

Sometimes I use purified water , spraying it on the surface just a bit to stop the cloth sticking which if not quite damp enough will stick but if too damp, leaves streaks.
    Car care/detailing sadly isn`t high on the agenda for 98% of australians.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by UnsanePyro

I need a good tint safe glass cleaner too, hmm...

Sonus Vision is safe on tint. That`s what I use...it`s worked great for me.

A while ago, I grabbed the 4* U.G.E. instead of the Sonus Vision (bottles look nearly identical and were turned around) and sprayed that on one of my windows before I realized what I had done. I quickly ran to my supplies and grabbed the Sonus Vision and sprayed the tint again, then wiped off with an MF. Then I sprayed it with water and wiped it off again with another MF.

All is well with the tint. I am very happy to see that it didn`t turn colors or anything.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Generally i only use water to clean windows. I start with ( i think 100% rayon cloth, same as those little camping towels found in the sporting goods section) and wring it out depending on how much water i need in the cloth. If it is cold or humid i will wring out most of the water and if it is hot and dry i will leave in more water. I do sometimes add a very small percent of APC cleaner to the water, but not often, the cloth is clean it doesn`t seem to matter. I then wipe dry with Bounty, 3 or 4 sheets, folded into 4 sides before an unfold. A new section of Bounty for each section of glass.

I have found this to be as effective as glass cleaner, without the chemicals. The wet cloth has enough friction to remove most problems including smoke film with a few passes over the glass. On smoke i generally do the system twice to make sure. The key is to make sure you wipe until dry, if a piece of glass dries before you can wipe it away it will leave streaks as will any glass cleaner.

I have tried MF and they work well, but for me at $1 a roll, Bounty works well and i use the spent paper towel for other tasks.

Post Thanks / Like
    wipe the outside of the window with vertical strokes and the inside with horizontal strokes so if you have any streaks you know which side they are on.

:xyxthumbs Never would have thought of that. Thanks for posting it, good info to have. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    I just can`t stop laughing. This is one of the most basic tips. It is like tying your shoes. LOL!
    Antonio Wright - Mdetailer@Gmail.com

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: I just can`t stop laughing. This is one of the most basic tips. It is like tying your shoes. LOL! EOQ :nixweiss

But for anyone new to detailing `it`s not basic`, just good information.

Paper towels and newspaper are formulated with adhesives, which class cleaners will break down leaving a tacky reside and paper Ãâ‚ËœlintÃâ‚â„ on the glass surface. The inks used in newspaper print are now water-based (unlike the older oil-based they will not polish glass) But they will stain your hand black (they dissolve with body heat) so be careful what surfaces you touch after handling newspaper (fabric, leather, plastic, etc) as they may stain.

FWIW - I`ve been doing this for more than five decades and almost everything is `basic` to me but `Experience unshared is knowledge wasted. If anyone of us (including me) knew it all we wouldn`t need to read a detailing forum to learn from
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Thread Information