Post Thanks / Like
    Hello guys. Im not really a newbie but for some reason my other username(jtszymano) is not working. So, I had to re-register.

Yep, I spilled about 6-8oz of Meguires Quik Detailer in the back seat on the carpet. The bottle got stuck under the seat and cracked open.

So, the carpet is pretty wet in a radius of about 20 inches. How should I clean this up?

I used some microfibers but the area is still wet. I was able to lift the carpet a bit and no wetness seems to have soaked thru...

I know there are special ways to clean mud, etc...but whats your take on this? Thanks! JS

Do you think I should dilute it with water and then try to re-dry? Thanks

Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have a wet dry vac? That would be ideal. Or borrow one from someone.

Otherwise you can dilute it with water as necesary to get some of it out. But you might want to use a carpet cleaner to finish it off and to make sure it doesnt stain anything (it shouldnt though).

Spray with cleaner... slightly agitate.... asorb as much as you can with a (terry) towel. Repeat untill desired results are achieved.... Let dry in sun.

Post Thanks / Like
    All I could find is Natures Miracle. Its mainly for pet issues but I think it is probably similar to the Pets and Kids solution that Ive read about.

First I used a Microfiber to soak up as much as I could. Then I put a wet towel over it to try to dilute the spill. I next used the microfibers and then topped it off with the Natures Miracle and then sorta rubbed it in.

It still reeks of quick detailer, so I just squirted some more Natures Miracle on it.Hopefully in the AM itll be somewhat aired out.

I cant see a stain...yet. We`ll see...

Thanks JS

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to get rid of the scent and idea would be to air it out really well. Leave the windows open over night (if its in a garage) and get a fan to blow on it non-stop. That should dry it out and then if you need you could clean it again. Something like Simple Green or other degreaser (diluted) should kill the smell as well instead of covering it up.

Hope this helps .... these are just my thoughts though and I dont know how good these methods would actually be

Post Thanks / Like
    This is pretty funny, I`ve actually used QD in a pinch to clean carpet. I can`t think of anything I`d rather have spilled there. Dry it out and that will be the cleanest carpet section in the car! I think the smell won`t last more than a couple of days, depending on humidity and temperature. That`s what I seem to remember from times I`ve used it (deliberately) on the carpet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks fellas!

Windows are open for the night. The best way to cap off the night is if a cat gets in there and leaves a growler on the front seat...That would just about kill hydrocarbon chemical smell.

Yeah I wasnt as worried about the stain as I was about the concentrated fruity smelling stuff right under my front seat. Sometimes I feel like inhaling that stuff gives me a headache after awhile. I guess we`ll see when I get to work tomorrow after my commute and Im mad as a hatter...

Thread Information