Post Thanks / Like
    Just finished painting my plastic intake lid with 4 coats of base and 4 coats of clear coat. I`ve read that in order to get the proper shine I will need to polish with a medium rubbing compound (not a mild or heavy duty!!!) The directions are very specific not to use too mild or too heavy that I`m scared into making sure I have something really middle of the road. Any suggestions?
    2002 Camaro Z28

www.mako22.homestead.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I am thinking either a 3M or Meguiar`s product for this since they were designed for body shops.

On the 3M front, you have Perfect It III Rubbing Compound and Machine Glaze neither or which contain fillers or oils.

On the Meg`s front, I am thinking something like #82 which is along the same lines as the 3M MG.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to :argue with what the paint company said, but I dunno about using a medium cut RC on that. Such products (with the possible exception of Hi-Temp Medium Cut) should only be used with a rotary. And even then I don`t see why you`d need them. I`ve had great results (on fresh clear) using the 3M PI-III RC (05933) both by itself and after (2K-3K grit) wetsanding and it was plenty strong enough for fresh (uncured) paint.

Maybe there`s something unusual about the paint you used, but that advice is counter to everything I`ve ever experienced/observed with b/c repaints.

Post Thanks / Like
    mothers pro line rubbing compound works awsome also. ive also used a product called clear-cut that works great for shineing up or for removing up to 1500 grit scratches. Its body shop safe also

Thread Information