Post Thanks / Like
    I decided to dress all the rubber trim on the Aurora today as it needed to be done and it`s too cold out to wash anything. I decided to go with #40 (was also considering the Vinylex) on all the weatherstripping, and #38 on the exterior rubber that surrounds the glass and on the plastic cover in front of the front windshield. Invariably a little bit gets on the paint and glass...

I wonder if it would be worth it to mask off the paint and glass first?? I imagine probably not since it`s real easy to just QD everything real quick afterwards. It`s a lot easier to remove trim dressing from paint than to remove paint polish from trim.

Anyone got any neat tricks for this? I used foam cosmetic wedges to apply the #38, and a slighty damp cotton towel for the #40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey sunshine. It seams like a lot of work to mask off, I`d just wipe with edge of MF when I`m done. Or if your careful you can take a long plastic putty knife and use that as a wedge between paint and trim when applying.
    A day without a scrub busting my chops is like a day w/o sunshine. :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    Clearkote hand glaze or AIO will not hurt trim UNLESS the trim is porous

Post Thanks / Like
    Those little foam paint brushes work well. The one`s with the wooden handle and black foam. They come in various sizes too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always just have the qd and Mf at hand. I find cutting a sponge into small pieces the right size for each part seems to work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just QD like you said after applying. Masking everything off is labor intensive...and by the sounds of it it is cold out there

Post Thanks / Like
    I also like the cut sponges to do the job. I would like to try the foam paint brush.

On the other hand, if you have the time for a few cold ones, mask the whole car off very meticulously and watch the dressing dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    The majority of protectants have mild cleaning power.

However, some have very strong cleaning power so that they can even strip off wax on paint.

The two protectants you mentioned have strong cleaning power.

I once talked about this subject over the phone with a Meguiars customer service representative. I asked wheather NXT Protectant would trip off wax on paint. He answered that the only protectant, as far as he knew, that might stip off wax on paint was #40 (if my memory is correct).

Vinylex has very high cleaning power. If you have time, you can see my Vinylex test (Vinylex removed beading action. However, there is no guarantee that my test procedure and interpretation was correct. I have no knowledge on wax and protectant chemistry.): http://www.waxforum.com/showthread.php?t=467

Post Thanks / Like
    Besides using the proper size/shape applicator, I use the "barrier" approach; I try to keep a piece of thin, flexible cardboard between what I`m dressing and the surrounding areas. The stuff that comes with my wife`s pantyhose works perfectly and it`s coated on one side so the dressings don`t soak in too fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just use a 1" paintbrush for things like doorstrips and doorhandles and a 2" brush if theres large sections of trim on bumpers etc and just `paint` dressings on. Usually theres enough gap between the panels that I won`t go wrong. For window rubbers just cut the bristle length down so the brush is a bit more controllable.

Cheers .

Thread Information