Post Thanks / Like
    First off, I`m new to this forum, a friend introduced me to it, seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people here. :up

Anyways, I own a 2001 Galant GTZ with 18" chrome rims. They are a hassle to keep up. I usually clean them with just soap/water, but is there anything else I can do? I`ve been reading around the forum and some people say to wax them as well? If so, what are the best products to use to keep my rims looking as best as possible, and where would I buy these products (local shops like AutoZone, online, etc)

Here are some pictures after a fresh wash:

http://home.nc.rr.com/skeety/galant/

(nothing was used on them except soap/water)

Thanks in advance :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice wheels ! With chrome rims I would stick with a caranuba wax or AIO for protection. I generally use AIO on rims as well as #26 or someting like that.
    "I think my blood is a Carnauba Prototype"

Post Thanks / Like
    styles430,

First of all, welcome to Autopia and thanks for taking the time to post those great pictures!

I also like to use carnauba wax, however some others have mentioned the benefits of using more of a polymer wax due to the ability to deal with higher wheel temperatures. The Meguiar`s #26 that I use has worked just fine for me over the years, so that`s basically the product that I continue to use.

Also, it`s probably a good idea to keep those wheels waxed as often as possible. Like every month or so. The more frequently you keep them waxed, the easier they will be to keep completely clean.

Thanks again for the good post!

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome to Autopia styles 430

Cleaning Chrome Wheels:

Once the brake dust has been removed apply a polymer sealant for protection, this will also make future cleaning easier. A polymer is recommended as it has a higher melting temperature (350oF) compared to Carnauba wax (180oF)

In actual practice, the temperature frequently leads to melting of the wax compounds (which also contains solvents and sometime Beeswax (130oF low melting points).

For example, painted surfaces exposed to ambient temperatures of 80oF in direct sunlight, will rise up to a temperature of 185degree F or more.

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where can I find these waxes you guys speak of? If they oculd possibly be purchased locally (I`m in NC -- Raleigh to be exact) at like a Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc, that would be best. Thanks!

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try Meguiar`s NXT Tech Wax (despite it`s name it is a polymer)

JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mother`s Chrome Polish and Protectant. Excellent product, easy to use, cleans and polishes well and provides polymer protection. Can be brought locally at AutoZone, Advance Auto, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Klasse All-In-One and Sealant Glaze on my wheels for easy cleanup and to get more sparkle out of my polished wheels. I`ve tried waxes before and they don`t last nearly as long on wheels. i also like Wenol polish on my chrome bits (the blue tube for chrome).

Post Thanks / Like
    :welcome I am in the same boat as you i have an Audi with 18` Giovanna Genoas and simply use the Klasse Twin and LOVE The results heres a pic or two:

Before:

After:

Kenny Miller

“The Perfect Touch Detailing”

**Making the world a more beautiful place, one car at a time. **

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about the blurry second pic, no tripod! lol
    Kenny Miller

“The Perfect Touch Detailing”

**Making the world a more beautiful place, one car at a time. **

Post Thanks / Like
    I got mothers chrome polish and put it on my wheels yesterday. I`m assuming this is just a wax and not a cleaner (I did clean the wheels thoroughly first). But also, what cleaner (and once again, WHERE TO FIND IT!!) works the best to shine them really good? Somebody in my apartment complex has a Lexus GS430 on 20"s and his wheels are the cleanest I`ve ever seen -- all the time. I never catch him outside to ask him what he uses though. A buddy of mine has some 20"s on a QX4 and said he used soap/water then windex and most of the time his wheels looked awesome. I`m kind of skeptical of using windex on chrome wheels though.

(I hear all this talk about Klasse products, where can I find those?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by styles430

.........(I hear all this talk about Klasse products, where can I find those?)
    http://www.autopia-carcare.com/klasse1.html
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by styles430

I got mothers chrome polish and put it on my wheels yesterday. I`m assuming this is just a wax and not a cleaner (I did clean the wheels thoroughly first).

(

It is also a polish. It will clean and protect. Works well on windows to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there..

Nice to see someone else from NC. I live about 40 miles south of Raleigh in a little town called Coats.

Anyways for my chrome wheels, I clean them with Poorboys Spray and Wipe (Can be found at premiumautocare.com). I seal my wheels with Poorboys EX Sealant which make it a lot easier to clean the next time around.

Thread Information