Post Thanks / Like
    I`m new to this site, but not to car detailing. At 27, I`ve been detailing cars since I was 12---no kidding. I`ve always used OTC products from Meguiars, Mothers, etc.

I was recently converted to Zaino and like it quite a bit. I have the PC 7424 and an assortment of pads---yellow, black and a few white pads to apply product.

After reviewing this site, I want to know what to use to clean the paint? I hear everyone talking about AIO, etc. My process goes like this:

-Car wash with Meguiars Gold Class car wash

-Dry with a yellow weave towel from Griots

-Clay bar

-Zaino cleaner--think it`s Z1

-Zaino Z2 with ZFX (whatever they call it to make it dry faster).

-Use cheap microfiber towels from Walmart---I know, I need help here.

-Use a microfiber bonnet on the PC to help smooth everything out.

I am going to invest in the Z5 from Zaino as I have a dark colored car and need something to help with swirls. I don`t have any now, but fear I will at some point.

Can someone help me with:

--Good brand of microfiber towels and where to get them?

--Good tire shine that won`t spit off the tires. Yes, I`ve cleaned them very good and applied the product in thin coats. Still spits off. Grrr.

--Should I be placing a `wax` on top of the Zaino Z2/Z5? If so, what do you suggest and where can I find it?

Thanks so much for your patience and assistance!

Here`s some shots of our Protege 5 after a few coats of Zaino. Our 2004 Honda Accord V6 Sedan is dark colored---pics to come!

Post Thanks / Like
    Shumax- You can get good microfibers from a lot of places. Pakshak (sp?), AutoFiber, YoSteve are all good. Look on the list of vendors on the Autopia homepage.

You oughta clay the cars after (or during) washing. That will do some paint cleaning.

You`ll probably need some sort of abrasive polish before using the Zaino. A good starting point is 3M PI-III MG (pn 05937). It works fine by PC or by hand. Such a product will mechanically remove some marring (swirls, etc.) and will also clean the paint.

You could use a dedicated paint cleaner, but I seldom bother with them (except for Klasse AIO, which may or may not be compatible with your Zaino).

Can`t help with the Zaino, not something I use. But I wouldn`t expect any swirl-hiding from the Z5.

I do use Zaino`s tire dressing (Z16? I forget). I wipe off any excess a while after I apply and I don`t get any slinging.

Supernintendo Chalmers
    Post Thanks / Like
    During my Autopia sabbatical, I`ve discovered the joys of Zaino. Super-slick, super-durable, and easy to apply and remove. As Accumulator noted, don`t expect *any* swirl-hiding from Z-5.

I`m now infatuated with the Pinnacle Swirl Removers. Not only are they incredibly easy to use, they "squeak" upon removal (indicating a clean, oil and wax-free polish). I`ve noticed no problems following these immediately with Z2 or Z5.

Excel Detail towels are my personal favorites. Hold onto your Wal*Mart specials for the wheels and doorjambs.

Never had a problem with sling from Poorboy`s Bold `N Bright. Apply with an Eagle One tire swipe. If you are still having problems with sling on a very clean tire, try blot-drying the tire so as to have a welcoming canvas for any product you use.

I hope you meant "newbie" with a little bit of tongue-in-cheek. Nice work on the Protege!
    Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Thread Information