Thread: Dealer Prep

Post Thanks / Like
    I just picked up my new car from the dealership and wow, what a terrible job they did on the prep . There was what looked to be polish/wax residue along some of the seams of the car and splatter all over the windshield and on the passenger side interior. Also, they didn`t get all the adhesive off where the window sticker was. Needless to say, I was very upset. The salesman offered to wipe it down himself, but I declined.

As I was inspecting the car, I found a couple light surface scratches and two small paint chips. He noted that they will be responsible for repair, but should I let them touch the car again? Should I take care of the scratches myself (#80?) and let them at the paint chips?

TIA,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I`d tell them that you don`t feel comfortable allowing them to correct damage they caused and ask to use a 3rd party repair place. As soon as you touch the paint, you can no longer prove that someone else did the damage.

The worst they can say is no. Then let them do it and if it isn`t up to standards, keep on them and eventually request a repaint if it`s that bad. If it`s not that bad, ask for free stuff/service or $$$ off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once you take delivery, it`s your problem. If they are an upstanding dealer they *might* help you out but otherwise you are on your own.
    Triple Honda Owner

Post Thanks / Like
    Ask how the car got to the condition it is in now in the first place. Then ask what measures they are going to take to fix the problem areas.

You should give them a shot at fixing the problems but get ready to walk away from the deal if the car is not improved.

If you want the car and are nervous about them fixing it, ask them for an estimate (how much they would charge a walk in customer) to do the work, and if it sounds reasonable to you, ask them to cut you a check. How bad are the scratches? Most all new cars have SOME swirls, and the rest just sounds like it needs to be cleaned up which you will do anyway, no biggie. The chips would concern me though.........

Be nice, be realistic, and I`m sure it will all work out. They do deserve a shot at fixing their mistakes though in my opinion..............

DK

Post Thanks / Like
    Its all been noted on paper and signed by the dealer promising that they are responsible for fixing it.

I`m going to see them tomorrow morning about the chips and see what they say they`ll do. The scratches aren`t bad at all, some superficial surface scratches that should come out without too much effort.

Thanks for all your responses!

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tribblez

As I was inspecting the car, I found a couple light surface scratches and two small paint chips. He noted that they will be responsible for repair, but should I let them touch the car again? Should I take care of the scratches myself (#80?) and let them at the paint chips? Brian

Brian,

You would be very smart to allow the dealership a chance to take care of the repairs. It is clearly their responsibility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tribblez

Its all been noted on paper and signed by the dealer promising that they are responsible for fixing it.

Oops, missed that part. I would give them the opportunity to fix it first. I have seen chips repaired to the point that it couldn`t be told on a black car.
    Triple Honda Owner

Thread Information