Post Thanks / Like
    Okay my new Acura TL in black is now about a month old I carefully prepped it with clay aio and ag and ps21 and then souvrain. It looks great and is prepared for the element or so I thougt. It raind for the last two Days( I live in VA and we have acid rain to some degree. The car sits in a garage at night. i did not have the luxuary to wash it as soon as I get home afte a storm but did wash it within a few days after the storm. One quater panal has clear evidence of some etching only seen in the reflection of a flourescent light. It really pisses me off as the car is so new. Either I made a mistake in my process or the pitting predates my involvment. I do not want it fixed by the dealer they will screw it up worse.

1) If in fact I have some protection over it will it get worse or as long as it is polymered and waxed will it be stable?

2) it is fairly minor at this point. but bother me. Should I wait a few months or should I stripthe wax and polymer off that part of the car and buff it with smr? will that remove the etching or should I ask for a re paint of the clear over there?.

no you can`t see it in this picture you have to be anal and look for it on the drivers side

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO, I would spot treat it. From what you have said it seems localized to one or two panels. I had the same thing happen to me after aiox1 SGx2 on a toyota 4runner. I went over the affected areas with AIO and SG and removed the spots..

Here is what it looked like.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a little slanted because I use Meguiar`s products almost exclusively, OK? I also apply and remove all products with a pc. In the Meguiar`s line, #83 DACP and #82 Swirl Free Polish should take care of the minor etching. Then apply your favorite sealant and carnauba topper. I would take care of the etching right away.

Tom
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would you put Souveran as a sealent over a carnuba? I was always told not to put sealent, carnuba then sealent. I was TOLD the sealent would remove the carnuba, so it`s a waste of time. Not the reason to your problem.

No lie! Yesterday I did a car that got nailed from a factory fall out. The lady called me and told me that she had little scratches and rain drops that wouldn`t wash off. I thought oxidation and spider webs aka swirl marks. I go over there and it was acid rain or a factory fall out. Then she told me she worked at a factory that I did a customer truck before and had the same problem. I clayed to get the heavy stuff off. I could see it on the clay. Sonus Paint cleaner, I could see it cleaning alot of it off. Not the big spots, but the debrie like contamints. Then I pulled out the MAC DADDY off Polishes. The Sonus SFX Polish Series. #1 is the most abrasive like compound, #2 gets the clear coat smooth and removes swirl marks and LIGHT oxidation, #3 is a ultra fine polish it`s great for pulling depth out of your paint and great after #2 &#3. I started with #2 and worked the hood. It removed the swirls and light water stains, but the major chemical stains where still there, but lighter. I finished the hood and I went to #1. Oh, of course I`m using the SFX polishing pads. The pads don`t have the cutting power like the DAS cutting pad which I like. Anyways, I worked a 2x2 area and I noticed when the polish started to dry they where gone. SO I worked the hood and other contaminated areas. I went over with #1 and it cleaned it up nice.

#1 is like Meg`s #80 DACP, but I didn`t have no mirroring or buffing marks. 1 did a better job.

I of course went to AIO, then SG. SG I applied and let sit for 24 hrs and buffed off. Then waited 24 to apply another coat. I didn`t P21S because it`s snowing like hell here so I didn`t bother.

Acid rain is really nasty. I believe that`s a industry fall out. Do you live with in a couple miles of a factory that makes chemicals or has smoke stacks? I don`t care what product you use chemicals like that will eat through everything you throw on your car. I`ve seen it living in a factory town. The SFX polishes and pads worked great for me and I hope they will for you. I hope I helped. If you need advice with the Sonus PM me or check out this post from the great JONW440

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...threadid=46674
    Long Live My Audi. She Will Dearly Be missed.

Visit My Gallery if you wish!

Post Thanks / Like
    SG only hides scratches and oxidation

Post Thanks / Like
    Audipower

Souveran is a premium carnuba with no cleaners.http://www.autopia-carcare.com/pin-312.html

so Dashotgun is basically layering carnubas.

I hope this helps

Post Office Box 9 Newbury, OH 44065 AIM:YoSteveDotCom
    Post Thanks / Like
    if rinsing would have helped your car with the acid rain, try that at least before parking
    Pay Attention Klasse!

2000 Satin Silver Passat GLX

Wash This Way

Post Thanks / Like
    Why would you put Souveran as a sealent over a carnuba? I was always told not to put sealent, carnuba then sealent. I was TOLD the sealent would remove the carnuba, so it`s a waste of time. Not the reason to your problem.
    I layered the carnubas both Souvrain and Ps21 are carnuba waxes.

SG only hides scratches and oxidation

yes I know bu the car had 60 miles total on the odometer when I put it on

Interestingly the "etching" water spots is only visable in my garage under the Flourescent lights in direct light they are invisable The are only present on one side of the car. I suspect they date to the initial detail of the car from the dealer they probably did not dry the car properly and I did not notice them with my prep. I suspect they are not amenable to a vineger bath as some etching has already occured. I plan to strip the sg and wax on that side and probably use #9 or some smr then redo it Since the rest of the car is fine I don`t plan to redo the whole thing. A minor PITA

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry dashotgun. I was thinking of another souveran product. Sometimes all these abreviations screw me up.

I noticed on the ladies car last weekend the same thing. Noticing more oxidation and scratches under the florescent lights.

I would strip all with dawn and work on the areas with etching with polish. cutting pad and Meg`s DACP or SFX-1 will take it out, but always go with a lighter polish and move up.

AIO I sware brings out paint blemishes more. The ladies car I did last weekend had that on her drivers side door. I tried to apply the pic but it says it`s to big and I don`t have Adobe to minimize the size.

Post your results.

My friend bought an black Audi from an Audi dealership and they used a black filler. As soon as he brought it over I was looking at some scratches he wanted me to fix I could tell. He called me and he said he was washing it and it was "bleeding" all over his cleaning mit. All the filler was coming off. He was pissed and brought the car back. They sayed the wouldn`t detail it and sayed " all the dealerships use fillers". I just fixed it for him.

Dealerships are crooked. They rather take 15 mins to hide it then 20mins to do it right.

Thread Information