Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield

Post Thanks / Like
    My car has a "film" on the windshield that is present for approximately 15-20 seconds after the windshield wipers sweep across the windshield. I`ve always understood that this is from oils on the windshield, but I`m not certain if this is true.

What is the best way to clean this? I`ts really distracting while driving at night in the rain.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve seen it too, but I`m not sure what it`s caused by. It could be a very thin film of water on the windshield that evaporates after a little while.

I would try putting RainX on the windshield, and possibly treating the blades with 303 Wiper Treatment.

You could also try polishing the glass first just to make sure it`s clean.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Where do you live? I`m wondering if it`s just condensation that is building up.

Have you cleaned your windows really well lately?

Paco
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    Polish it with a glass polish or use a regular paint polish with no sealants or waxes like Sonüs Paintwork Cleanser.

It sounds as if you may have wax on your windshield like the wax that is applied at auto car washes. I`ve seen this happen on vehicles that go to those a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in michigan. I don`t take the car to automatic car washes, but I could have gotten some quick detail spray on it by accident. I haven`t cleaned it with any window cleaner in a month or so, I`ve washed with soap and water and dried it. I washed it well this weekend, but today it smeared again when I ran the wipers. It looked clean after washing it this weekend.

I`ll try the Rain x. I had also thought about using some rubbing alcohol to take off any wax or oil.

Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you cleaned your wipers recently? You`d be surprised at how cruddy they can get. I`d try that first using 303. Then, follow-up with some windshield wiper blade protectant. Prestone makes some as does 303 etc.

I have hunch that is what is leading to the smiring.

Paco
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    Zaino sells a glass polish that I have read is hard to beat. It requires use of a buffer for best results but is supposed to be worth it. It also cleans most anything that has accumulated.
    My wife thinks I`m crazy cause I polish my Cub Cadet with Zaino Z2!

Post Thanks / Like
    Cleaning your wipers is important as was mentioned ^. I just use a little soap and water when I`m washing the rest of the Av.

I don`t care for Rain-X although some people swear by it.

I have a routine for cleaning windows that works well for me. It`s modified somewhat from the one mentioned in Gurureports. I use Sprayway window cleaner (heavily) and agitate with #0000 steel wool (don`t use steel wool on the inside of aftermarket tinted glass). Then I go over the window with a squeegy. This removes the majority of the dirt, oil, etc. I then lightly spray with glass cleaner and buff with a good quality short nap microfiber.

About once per month or so I polish them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Disappearing windows is a product and use OOOO grade steel wool to work product in. It will take anything, tar, bugs, film, etc off. Zaino glass polish would work good for that too.
    A day without a scrub busting my chops is like a day w/o sunshine. :grinno:

Post Thanks / Like
    I used this with a PC and an orange pad. Works very good and stripped every bit of contaminates. I think I went a little over board. Using the polish by hand would be sufficient IMO. Only do one glass panel at a time. This stuff can be a pain in the butt to take off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently bought a bottle of 1z glas polish but have failed to use it yet...I even thought about using my oarnge pad with it but im thinking that a mf applicator will do just fine. I also use 303 wiper treatment and it has made a diff.
    Sean L. Searls

03 Mitsu. EVOVIII

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by zevo

My car has a "film" on the windshield that is present for approximately 15-20 seconds after the windshield wipers sweep across the windshield. I`ve always understood that this is from oils on the windshield, but I`m not certain if this is true.

What is the best way to clean this? I`ts really distracting while driving at night in the rain.
    Oh yeah. This one is my pet peeve. The older you get, the worse the problem becomes too.

My GM owner`s manual said to use GM part number ??? or Bon Ami. I forget the part number it said to use and I`m not going out there tonight to look at it. I just sprinkle some on a regular dish sponge and wipe it down real good. It`s a ***** to rinse off, but well worth the effort. Just makes a mess. The winshield will NOT BEAD water when you`ve got it clean. The water will sheet off and you will have NO FILM to blur your vision. I`ve even noticed in a pouring rain I can see through the windshield even without the wipers going. The manual also recommended wiping your wipers with alcohol or at least with your windshield washer fluid.

I`m experimenting with all kinds of stuff right now. I`ve got the 303 wiper treatment packets coming tomorrow so we`ll see how they work. I`m not overly optimistic.

Post Thanks / Like
    the first thing that usually gives me problems with my windshield is my wiper blades. They dry out and then get an oily film buildup from the roads that absorbs into them. You just have to get a towel or newspaper and some windex to wipe em down. The second thing that usually fixes my smearing windshield problem is the glass polish. I bought zaino glass polish and it didnt do anything for me. I bought Detailer`s Pride glass polish and it was a day and night difference! That works awesome, it feels gritty but works fast, you can hear and feel the difference when you slide the towel from part of the window that was polished to a part that wasn`t. It goes from sandpaper to silk feeling. Afterwards I hit it up with some rain x if we are in rainy season.

Perfectionist in Rehab Prometheus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Correct me if i`m wrong, but i remember reading something about using a metallic polish on glass too. If all else fails, and you have some metalic polish lying around, you might want to give that a shot. Like others said however, it will take everything off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you user a buffer with the Zaino, it always works as stated but may not have been exactly what you were looking for.
    My wife thinks I`m crazy cause I polish my Cub Cadet with Zaino Z2!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information