Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I need to improve my fenderwell cleaning and dressing technique!!! What steps do you guys take and what products?

Simple Green just isn`t cutting it.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use a 1-step tire product that cleans and protects all in one step if the wheel wells are not too bad, but usually you either have to get in there with a brush and some agressive cleaner like A2Z, or use a power washer.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ yeah that, I prefer eiman fabrik APC and a nice stiff bristled brush. Let the Cleaner sit for a few minutes a scrub away.

I usually follow up with something like stoners more shine less time (for tires).

Post Thanks / Like
    This sucks for lowered cars! I have to take my wheels off or jack the car up to clean the wells!
    Chris Pace,

eShine Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Castrol Super Clean and Armor All Tire Foam....:up
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like
    eshine...looks like you can add pressure washer to your Christmas list

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 99` Audi A4 and wen i bought it the wheel wells were discusting, i bought it from some lady who obviously liked to drive through puddles and dirt, but anyway i just did two runs of NXT wash with a hard bristle brush, let it dry, and then protected it w/ Armor All Original. That work good for me. I used it for most my details that or simple green. You just have to scrub it in good!
    Kenny Miller

“The Perfect Touch Detailing”

**Making the world a more beautiful place, one car at a time. **

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by eShine

This sucks for lowered cars! I have to take my wheels off or jack the car up to clean the wells!

Doing it "right" sucks for regular-height cars too. I jack `em up to clean the wheelwells/undercarriage at every wash. Only one I can do a halfway decent job on without jacking is the minivan, and I end up jacking it most of the time too. Just part of doing the job right. All kinds of [stuff] buiilds up in there if you con`t keep `em clean. But if you *do* keep `em clean they don`t take much time.

When I had the lowered `vette it took a *long* time to get it up on stands for every wash, just another wonderful aspect of owning a lowered car

I use EFHI on the ones I don`t keep especially nice and regular car shampoo on the ones I *do* keep nice. Problem with stuff like EFHI is that it cleans off any sealant/dressing, making for a whole `nother step each time. Better to protect them with products that don`t retain dirt and just wash them. KGS, UPP, stuff like that. For quick-and-dirty I like Griot`s Undercarriage Spray.

Stiff bristled brushes :scared I use BHBs. I don`t want anything coarse touching *any* part of my vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never had a problem with the brushes...accum. brought up a good point though...keep it away from the edge or lip of the fenderwell so it doesnt have a chance to touch the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    And I oughta point out that I *have* used nasty-coarse brushes for the worst work on used cars. My latest 9C1 Caprice had 113K miles of neglect to clean up. But it`ll be BHBs from here on out

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree about lowered cars. My lowered Mustang never sees bad weather so the undercarriage remains top-notch. Plus I have a lift at a shop that I use 3 or 4 times a year to do a full undercarriage detail.

I started detailing cars for a used car lot during the winter blues, and some of the cars` wheel wells are down right nasty.

These cars I need help on! I have a power washer... thanks for mentioning some of the heavy duty cleansers. Now I need to track down where to get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some people said that they used stiff bristle brushes to clean in the wheel wells. Isn`t that a bit hard on the undercoating?
    A well-prepared surface will make any wax look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    In terms of wheel well dressing specifically, I found the now discontinued Megs product, Engine Kote, to be a near ultimate product for my needs: decent gloss, non dust attracting and fairly long lasting.

Unfortunately I found the product late and now it`s no more :down

Before that I tried all the usual OTC tire shine type products on wheel wells and they all have big drawbacks

Anyone of the seemingly hundreds of water based tire dressing do dress up the wells nice but wash away immediately with the slightest hint of water Some seem to attract dust more than others.

The solvents based stuff, both aerosol and non aerosol, look a bit too glossy but that can be controled. Either dilute it if you have it in a spray bottle or wipe down the wells promptly if using an aerosol. The big problem with them is that they too wash away too quickly and more of them attract dust. I used to buy MSLT by the case just for this purpose because I thought it was really the best thing I could do.

Earlier this year I discussed Mop & Glow floor shine, apparently similar chemically to EK, as a potential alternative. I did play around a little bit with it and it seems ok, results may differ from different kind of wheel well to wheel well.

I`m going to seek out additional acrylic based floor shine products to try out hopefully sometime. I think you can get private label products like these in warehouse clubs cheaply. I believe I saw as low as $6 a gallon somewhere.

I also just took a look at Zep`s acrylic floor shine product at Home Depot. I may just try that out once my EK ( measured out like gold now ) is gone.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    no I have no issues using a stiff bristled brush...its NOT a brass bristle or anything like that...it still is a nylon type brush.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Black240SX

Some people said that they used stiff bristle brushes to clean in the wheel wells. Isn`t that a bit hard on the undercoating?

Depends on the undercoating and the brush. Just use common sense (and do a test spot before really going to town on it) and you`ll be fine. I always err on the side of caution anyhow, but I`ve never had a problem with taking off too much undercoating. But some really minimal undercoatings (like what GM used on frame rails back in the `90s) will come off pretty easily, even just scrubbing with a cleanser will take it off if you`re not careful. So, just be careful On more recently manufactured cars (and those of higher quality), it`s really not an issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information