Don't forget the pedals!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello!

I currently have a polish selection that includes SFX-1,2, and 3 Paintwork Cleanser, as well as the Menzerna Polishes (IP and FPII).

Do you guys have any recommendations for a more "abrasive" polish to remove heavy swirls marks, or do you think SFX1 could handle it? I`ve tried SFX1, and didn`t get all the swirls removed with it. There was only moderate to semi-heavy swirl marks,which is what SFX1 is advertised for. Do you have any recommendations on technique to get SFX1 to work better for me, or any advice on a more abrasive polish to try?

Also, I have 3 autopia wool wash mitts and after one use of QEWing and regular car washing with them, they are not holding up so well, not as plush and soft. Here is a pic, the one on the right is brand new, never used, the one on the right has been used with QEW, then rinsed thoroughly, and hung to dry with a bottle to support/keep it`s shape when drying.

Here`s another shot:

Is this normal? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Carl

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my mitts is doing the same thing, still cleans well and to my knowledge, does not mar at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven`t used the SFX polishes, but SFX-1 is supposed to remove some heavy stuff. There have been three or four reviews on it so far, have you read any of them looking for tips? My only suggestions would be to perhaps work it at a faster PC speed (and slower arm speed), make sure you`re working it long enough, and to make more passes if needed.

They (the wash mitts) won`t look as plush or feel as soft after washing, but should soften right up when you dip it into your wash bucket. Just make sure they aren`t loosing large clumps of wool. You can get fairly decent sheepskin wash mitts at Target and Wal-Mart, plus you have the ability to pick out the softest and plushest ones you can find.

My favorite mitts are Patagonian sheepskin and I only have two that I found last year at Big Lots (of all places!). These I save for my street rod, I use "hand-picked" Target or Wal-Mart sheepskins for the daily drivers.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree, what matters is how the mitts feel when wet with shampoo solution.

I see lots of SS mitts for sale at differing prices. So far I`ve been happy with the Eurow ones from WM and the Target ones (forgot what brand) seem okay too as you can pick the plushest ones--plushness varies a LOT. Will see how long they last. The turtle wax ones at PepBoys aren`t nearly as plush however.

Post Thanks / Like
    I love hand picking the wool mitts at Target, like picking ripe fruit
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    Most aggressive product I`d use by hand or PC is 1Z Ultra/Extra. But you might look into Hi-Temp`s Medium Cut too. Doing rotary-work without a rotary is tricky and often involves more than just spending more time on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I`m climbing the beginner`s learning curve with a PC, the best advice I can give is: Work the swirl remover in really

s l o w l y. On flat surfaces with heavy swirls, try to "burn" the paint with your pc. You won`t of course. It might only feel that way. I`ve been doing my car for weeks and haven`t covered more than 2/3 of the surface and will have to go back and redo spots that were half done. On badly swirled areas with water spots and light scratchs, you have to work on an area much smaller than 1 square foot.

And you might want to try 3Ms PI-III Rubbing Compound.

Hang in there.:xyxthumbs

Don't forget the pedals!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

So I did another vehicle on Saturday and used SFX-1, then SFX-2, then Zaino. After misting the pad twice with a detail spray, then working it in at 5, turning it up to 6 and working it really slow for about 7 minutes per panel, I got better results. It was a BADLY oxidized F-150 w/ heavy swirl marks. Still some remained (pics later), but improvement was more than I got when I used Menzerna IP.

What bugs me is that still some remained. It was taking too long so I couldn`t SFX-1 twice (if that would`ve even helped) but in case I encounter bad bad bad swirls and oxidation again, what would be a step up in abrasiveness from SFX-1. Which 3M rubbing compound (if suggested)?

Carl

Post Thanks / Like
    3M PI-III RC pn 05933. Next step is 1Z Ultra/Extra Polish.

CIXELSYD
    Post Thanks / Like
    SFX 1 can remove heavy swirls and water marks . . . though if youâ€â„¢re using a PC it will take some time. SFX 1 and 1Zâ€â„¢s UPP are very similar in terms of cutting strength . . . the difference in results will be pad choice and use of PC or rotary.

Thread Information