Post Thanks / Like
    The other day my father left me a copy of a magazine called Practical sailor. It`s a magazine aimed at evaulating sailboats and various equipment for sailboats. The magazine is pretty well known for being honest and unbiased, since they do not accept *any* advertising at all...it costs about 35 bucks a year to subscribe. In any case, I was flipping through it and I noticed that there was a test of various waxes for gelcoat. There seems to be a lot of marine specific waxes, but ironically their top choices were car waxes. I`m a big believer in "no more copyright legislation" which equals a need for restraint so I`m not going to post the entire slew of results (see http://www.practical-sailor.com/ for that) but I`ll give a quick summary of the most relevant info.

The test was performed by taking a scrap piece of gelcoated fiberglass, applying various waxes to it, then leaving it outside for one year in New England weather. They only applied one coat of each regardless of what the manufacturers instructions were. They drew small circles on the gelcoat using a supposedly permanent marker to mark where what wax was applied to the fiberglass. One of the most interesting things about this test is that the marker turned out to be not so permanent, and some waxes protected the marker from fading better than others! Very interesting indeed!

In any case, the top performers for preventing fading of the marker included but were not limited to Collinite #885 Paste Wax, Meguiar`s Mirror Glaze and 3m Paste.

They also tested beading by misting water on to the surface. The top performers included but were not limited to Collinite #885, Meguiars Mirror Glaze and 3m Paste.

For shine/restoration of gloss to the old gelcoat, the top performers were liquids, but none of the liquids faired well in the long term testing.

The other extremely interesting part of the test was the evaluation of a couple brands of "liquid plastic" which I am assuming, and correct me if I`m wrong, is a polymer sealant. The test concluded that these products did well, but not as well as the paste waxes!

The bottom line of the test was that Collinite #885 was their pick and seemed to perform the best. It protected the marker well, it still beaded after 12 months, etc. If anyone wants to see the full test results pick up a copy of Volume 30, #22, November 15, 2004 Practical Sailor at http://www.practical-sailor.com/. There are some pictures and there were a LOT more waxes tested than I mention here. The marine guys would probably get the most out of buying a copy, but I figured I would post some of the info that was relevant to the atuo side of things.

Hope this helps...I think I may be converting to collinite for my winter wax!

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d like to know more about their methods, as well as what specific Meguiars product they used. Mirror Glaze is a line of products, so the reference is useless without knowing the number or name of the specific product. It would also be important to know what they define as "liquid plastic." Maybe it`s the "polymer sealants" we talk about, but maybe it`s something totally different.

With regard to the measurement of results, many here warn against using beading as an indicator of protection, and the "permanent marker" results sound like they were accidental rather than measured and intended indicators. I might question the accuracy of what they depict.

It would be very helpful if you would specify the identifying information for the issue the article was in--a direct link to where to view or purchase it would be great. I couldn`t find reference to it on their site. The only one that seemed close was a 1998 article entitled "Liquid Wax vs. Paste Wax."

As an aside: I`d also be interested in a link to any more information regarding the definition of, and reasoning behind, your strong stand on "no more copyright legislation." I`ve not heard of this movement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ZJ JIM 96

I`d like to know more about their methods, as well as what specific Meguiars product they used. Mirror Glaze is a line of products, so the reference is useless without knowing the number or name of the specific product.

I think they only make one mirror glaze marine wax that is a pure wax: http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguia...l.cfm?sku=M-56

But I`m just guessing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Aurora40

I think they only make one mirror glaze marine wax that is a pure wax: http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguia...l.cfm?sku=M-56
    You`re probably right, I was just confused because he wrote:

Originally posted by endus

There seems to be a lot of marine specific waxes, but ironically their top choices were car waxes... the top performers for preventing fading of the marker included but were not limited to Collinite #885 Paste Wax, Meguiar`s Mirror Glaze and 3m Paste.
    I figured the reference was to the automotive line with various products.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to read about tests like these for comparison and reference, however real world situations may not compare directly to them.

Some products layer much better than others. Most Autopians like to use layers of various products and some products are designed to have multiple very thin layers applied rather than one thicker layer. It`s hard to compare these types of situations with one layer of a single product.

Post Thanks / Like
    Collinite is well regarded in the marine industry but it is not a valid test. Unlike the test, boats do more than just sit in the sun. Water will affect the durability and many boats are used in sal````er which has a huge impact on the durability of any wax. If you cannot get a year out of a paste wax on a car, how do they think you will get a year on a boat, especially if it is used in sal````er?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ZJ JIM 96

I`d like to know more about their methods,
    Like what?

as well as what specific Meguiars product they used. Mirror Glaze is a line of products, so the reference is useless without knowing the number or name of the specific product.
    Here`s what it lists...

"Meguiar`s Mirror Glaze Paste wax - Medium hard blue paste. Says, `contains carnuba`."

It would also be important to know what they define as "liquid plastic." Maybe it`s the "polymer sealants" we talk about, but maybe it`s something totally different.
    Poli Glow Liquid Plastic and West Marine`s Teflon were mentioned in the article as being good but not as good as wax.

With regard to the measurement of results, many here warn against using beading as an indicator of protection,
    That`s true although in my experience beading is one possible indicator of whether there is protection or not. It`s not really reliable, but in some circumstances it can help you tell. Just MHO though. Another thing to consider is that there are pictures in the article. Comparison between surfaces that do bead or look significantly different than surface that had nothing applied to it tend to make me think that a product that beads heavily when it is first put on is probably still hanging around.

and the "permanent marker" results sound like they were accidental rather than measured and intended indicators. I might question the accuracy of what they depict.
    Well, you really need to see the pictures in the article, observe any possible correlation of different factors and make up your own mind.

Keep in mind too that determining how well your car is protected can be dicey too...this might not prove anything outright and once and for all...but it`s more evidence to consider. The fact that it seems to agree with other people`s opinion of collinite from using it on their cars also makes me go "hmm".

It would be very helpful if you would specify the identifying information for the issue the article was in--a direct link to where to view or purchase it would be great.
    Sorry, the article is called Wax Test Results. As I stated in the original post it`s Practical Sailor Volume 30 Number 22, November 15, 2004.

I believe that if you click on the Back Issues Button in their site you`ll see...

http://www.practical-sailor.com/backissues/

The issue probably isn`t up yet. This is a small operation and I should mention photos are in black and white! I still found the photos helpful, YMMV.

As an aside: I`d also be interested in a link to any more information regarding the definition of, and reasoning behind, your strong stand on "no more copyright legislation." I`ve not heard of this movement.
    Without getting too deep into it all I`ll say is that copywrite is an issue of concern to me and that there has been movement in legislation in this area that I have been concerned about. I think people exersizing some restraint and/or responsibility in dealing with copywrited material is better than the getting the government involved to tell us what to do and in the process stilfe innovation and...well etc. etc. etc....PM me if you want some pointers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by endus

........."Meguiar`s Mirror Glaze Paste wax - Medium hard blue paste. Says, `contains carnuba`."...........
    Sounds like #16, no wonder it fared well in their test.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by Pondscum

I like to read about tests like these for comparison and reference, however real world situations may not compare directly to them.

Some products layer much better than others. Most Autopians like to use layers of various products and some products are designed to have multiple very thin layers applied rather than one thicker layer. It`s hard to compare these types of situations with one layer of a single product.

Definitely. I totally agree.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Meguiar`s Mirror Glaze Paste wax - Medium hard blue paste. Says, `contains carnuba`."

Sounds like #16 to me.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TW85 HHI

Collinite is well regarded in the marine industry but it is not a valid test. Unlike the test, boats do more than just sit in the sun. Water will affect the durability and many boats are used in sal````er which has a huge impact on the durability of any wax. If you cannot get a year out of a paste wax on a car, how do they think you will get a year on a boat, especially if it is used in sal````er?

Well, I wouldn`t exactly call it invalid. I work by a marina and believe me...most people`s boats spend more time sitting there in the sun than actually going anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    True, but overall boats are likely to see worse conditions than a car will. My point is I have a very hard time believing any paste wax will last a year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TW85 HHI

True, but overall boats are likely to see worse conditions than a car will. My point is I have a very hard time believing any paste wax will last a year.

Yea I agree. That was actually why I was more interested in the results for auto detailing...the conditions are pretty similar to the test. Even if you take off 6 months or so for exposure to road salt, that still bodes well for Collinite lasting through the winter on my car...a plus when you live in New England and don

t have a garage.

Thread Information