Post Thanks / Like
    after taking my car to a pressure washer and going through the usual foam, blast and rinse procedure with no use of the brush as i have heard bad news, i noticed something. while wiping my car down after parking up (immediately) i saw that my car wasnt as shiny as it usually is when compared to the hand wash method. reason being that there was a thin film of dirt still left on the paint surface.

what is this? is it a sign of the place using recycled water or where the water purification part has gone wrong? i really dont want to stop going there as its a quick and easy way to keep the car clean during the winter months... any suggestions as to what it is? cheers.
    The man who constantly strives for perfection, knows that there never is.

Post Thanks / Like
    A pressure washer won`t remove the `film` of dirt right on the paint. I use them all the time to clean off big debris, but know that I am in no way coming close to getting the car clean.

Also, personally, I would never dry or wipe my car after just a pressure wash-way too much stuff still left on it. I always cringe @ the pressure wash bays when I see someone pull out of a bay and start drying with a towel they pulled out of their trunk-they`re probably doing more cleaning with their `drying` routine than the pressure washer did. Hand wash is the only way to truly clean paint.
    `06 Honda Ridgeline

Post Thanks / Like
    cheers, i know it sounds lazy having an entire arsenal of cleaning products only to go and use a coin-op machine but with limited time and weather permiting its getting harder. having said that i am devoting tomorrow as a way of `catch up` and get what i can done in the time allowed
    The man who constantly strives for perfection, knows that there never is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree, these washers are fine for removing the worst of the dirt but are not as effective as hand washing. Of course, you can do both.

I also think many places do not properly filter the water so in effect you spraying dirty water onto the paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used a cotton chenille mitt and a bucket of clear soapless water to rinse off the dirt/soap film from the pressure washer. Then I dry it. I picked up some Quick and Easy Wash and will substitute that for the clear water. I think this might be the best solution to the presssure washer film problem. Also, I have decided to wash my truck every other week rather than every week during the winter months. The more often you wash the more often you will mar the finish

Tom
    2 white Tacomas and 2 black Harleys. I got half-way smart.

Post Thanks / Like
    My solution (no pun intended) to that problem is Poorboy`s S&W. Now I don`t have any film remaining. Just wipe it down with S&W and the film is gone and you`re clean and clear.
    "If we weren`t all crazy..We`d all go insane" Jimmy Buffett

Thread Information