Post Thanks / Like
    I plan to clay my car for before I layer it with my polish, sealant and carnauba wax.

However, I haven`t clayed before and plan to include it during my rinse cycle of washing the car. Is it safe to clay the WHOLE car while using car soap as a lube. Or should I rinse it quicly after I do a panel then I apply the soap again unto the next panel. Or is water good enough?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    You want to wash and rinse your car first, then use the clay. Don`t use just water with the clay -- you need a lubricant, such as quick detailing spray.
    A well-prepared surface will make any wax look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you feel the need to use a product, sometimes I use one of two, either showroom or body shine, however soapy water will do just fine, unless the bucket and mitt are really dirty in which case I would use one of the products as a lubricant. Detailing lubricants for use with clay bars are a rip-off, imo.
    2001 "Victory Red" Chevrolet S-10 (Daily Driver)

1989 "Guards Red" Mazda RX-7 Convertible

Post Thanks / Like
    Water during your rinse will work just fine. The notion you need a "lubricant" is nonsense. Water in itself is a lubricant. "You" may elect to use something a little more slippery though. My feeling is too much lube, yield too little results. I have the best luck just using water, the clay tends to work better as opossed to sliding and perhaps missing particles. Just my $.02.
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

Water during your rinse will work just fine. The notion you need a "lubricant" is nonsense. Water in itself is a lubricant. "You" may elect to use something a little more slippery though. My feeling is too much lube, yield too little results. I have the best luck just using water, the clay tends to work better as opossed to sliding and perhaps missing particles. Just my $.02.
    What brand clay do you use Patrick? I haven`t been too successful just using water, but different brands/types of clay may behave differently.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    John, Ive used MOthers, Clay Magic, and Meg`s, even Dura-Glo. Also make sure the surface is cool.... never ever had any marring or residual problems. The most difficult was the old Megs Yellow formulation.
    Owner of West Coast Detail Supply.

Light travels faster then sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by fpalattao

I plan to clay my car for before I layer it with my polish, sealant and carnauba wax.

However, I haven`t clayed before and plan to include it during my rinse cycle of washing the car. Is it safe to clay the WHOLE car while using car soap as a lube. Or should I rinse it quicly after I do a panel then I apply the soap again unto the next panel. Or is water good enough?

Thanks
    Here`s what works for me. I wash and rinse thoroughly. Then I rinse out my wash bucket and fill it up again with a slightly more diluted concentration of Meg`s NXT wash. I wash the car again and clay while the panels are soapy & slick. I use the Sonus clay from Autopia and have had excellent results with this method. Then, if I have some wash left over I`ll do a quick once over after I`m done claying. This final 10 minute step gets rid of most of the clay residue.

IMO, this is the best method. I`ve tried using clay with a lube like sonus "glyde" but that method takes much more time. Not to mention it took me over half a bottle of lubricant to do one car. This could get expensive over time.

Lastly, if you`re relatively new to detailing like I am you should always follow the "least aggressive product first" rule of thumb. Go with the soapy claying first. If that doesn`t produce the results you are after, then perhaps consider other options. It`s worked for me though, and saves a bunch of time compared to other methods I`ve tried.
    Eric

Austin IT Recruiter Guy

" Whoa, that`s a LOT of Red!!" - 328ci

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m still unsure if I can use the soapy water clay and move to next panel or do I have to rinse after I clay the panel. I`m worried that by the time I get back to rinse the area, it can potentially be a little drier and the particles can be embeded again in the cars paint.

Post Thanks / Like
    i have used Meg`s QD when i clay and i have also used water. i find the QD to be easier just because it stays on the body panels better than water. on some vehicles that i detail that have no sealent or wax left, the water just doesnt` stay on the horizontal panels which doesn`t provide much lube for clay.

Vernon

Post Thanks / Like
    I use megs #34 as my lubricant. The only time i`ve ever seen anyone go off of carwash soap is a lube they wrecked their paint. Hardcore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by fpalattao

I`m still unsure if I can use the soapy water clay and move to next panel or do I have to rinse after I clay the panel......
    I usually rinse after I clay a panel or section so I don`t risk having any soap dry on the finish. I also try to keep the whole car wet while washing or claying until I`m ready to dry it (to avoid any water spots).

Patrick: thanks for the info, next time I`ll just try water and see how it works.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by RedCivic95DX

I use megs #34 as my lubricant. The only time i`ve ever seen anyone go off of carwash soap is a lube they wrecked their paint. Hardcore.
    Do you know what kind of wash soap your friend was using? It sounds like either it was a low end wash, or perhaps diluted way too much. Most of the "better" car washes out there contain lubricants. I`m surprised your friend had a problem.
    Eric

Austin IT Recruiter Guy

" Whoa, that`s a LOT of Red!!" - 328ci

Post Thanks / Like
    I use Patrick`s methad to clay, unless I`m teaching someone else to do it.

What I do, is put my hose attatchment on "Shower" (same spray pattern as your shower head) and hold it on the panel as I clay, never letting the stream stop. This way, there`s no possibilty of the water beading up/ running off before I`m done with the panel. If I`m really in a rush, then I use the wash as my lube. I would only do this if the car wasn`t too dirty to begin with.
    -Glenn Jr.

There is always room to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use car wash soap and distilled water as my clay lube. Currently my wash soap of choice is Meg`s NXT wash.

I have also used Mother`s Showtime QD as a lube, but I don`t think it yields better results than the car soap + water. It feels a bit smoother after using the Showtime with the clay, but that`s only because Showtime contains ingredients that enhance slickness.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    I put an ounce of Meq`s Detailr wash in a spray bottle filled with water and spray as I clay. Has been working great. Then a rinse and I am done.

Thread Information