Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    i have AIO x 2, SG x 3, topped with 3 layers of Natty`s..

I wanted to know if i washed with dawn, will it remove all 3 layers of natty`s ? almost all ? partially one layer ? does anyone really know ?

and why am i doing this you ask ? simple, <ahem> paste glaz.. hint.. hint..

thanks for suggestions

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont think there is a possibility of answering that question accurately. Its not like the a wax layer will peel off evenly like an orange. My guess would be partially 1 layer if I had to say anything. Also depends on how much of the dawn solution you use.
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    it will remove all real fast and easy.

car will look like it died.
    Toyota Supra TT 6 spd

www.rbchroming.com

Post Thanks / Like
    It will remove all. I use it when I`m doing a fresh detail. What are you trying to do? Are you trying to add more coats of SG? Use clay instead of one of your coats of AIO. You`ll see better results and make sure your waiting a day for each coat of SG and wax. Leave a coat of SG on your car for a day, nice light haze, then buff off. You`ll get better layering performance that way
    Long Live My Audi. She Will Dearly Be missed.

Visit My Gallery if you wish!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have used Dawn wash on my car (only when im about to polish all over again) and it doesnt seem to remove that much...I would dry the car off after using a dawn wash, and to test my theory i would spray the hood with water and hood still beads heavily! This is when I had Zaino and P21S topper on the car for a couple of weeks!
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by 01bluecls

I have used Dawn wash on my car (only when im about to polish all over again) and it doesnt seem to remove that much...I would dry the car off after using a dawn wash, and to test my theory i would spray the hood with water and hood still beads heavily! This is when I had Zaino and P21S topper on the car for a couple of weeks!

Beading is the Zaino. Dawn does not remove Zaino and I would guess Klasse also.

Second, virgin paint will bead like crazy.

Originally posted by brian_k03

"it will remove all real fast and easy.

car will look like it died."

If the surface in which the carnauba has been protecting is prepped and maintained properly prior to its application, the removal of the carnuaba should reveal a nice, bright and reflective finish. If the carnauba was masking surface defects and highlighting a surface that was in need of polishing, yes with the "make-up" gone, the true condition of your paint will be obvious and may appear dead. Time to polish.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guess I have a really basic question-

Why would you consider using a houshold product that was designed to wash grease from dishes to clean vehicle paintwork, that as far as my experience goes will not remove most sealants, synthetic nor many caranuba waxes.

Even the manfg advices agaist its use on vehicles, " Ãâ‚Å“Your car surface and the dirt that gets on it are a lot different from the food soils and dishes that dishwashing liquids clean effectively. We don`t recommend them for cleaning your carÃâ‚Â. Proctor and Gamble

Why not use a product that`s specifically made for prep. i.e. Use a paint cleaner (Dupont Chemical PrepSol, 1Z einzett Acrysol Silicone Remover) it removes acrylic-based paintwork polishes and coatings. Acrysol also removes silicone, wax, grease, oil, polishes, adhesive residues, and bitumen, under seal, nicotine, tar and spray filming without leaving any residue

[End of rant, time for coffee]
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fresh coat of wax ... some of it.

Old coat of wax... most of it.

Sealant ... very little with only one wash.
    Too many products ... too few cars!

Post Thanks / Like
    A good heavy Dawn wash will remove all wax old and new.It will strip just about everything on the paint. up to the clearcoat.I stopped using dawn years ago but when I used it the product worked well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TOGWT

Why would you consider using a houshold product that was designed to wash grease from dishes to clean vehicle paintwork, that as far as my experience goes will not remove most sealants, synthetic nor many caranuba waxes.

Even the manfg advices agaist its use on vehicles, " Ãâ‚Å“Your car surface and the dirt that gets on it are a lot different from the food soils and dishes that dishwashing liquids clean effectively. We don`t recommend them for cleaning your carÃâ‚Â. Proctor and Gamble

Why not use a product that`s specifically made for prep. i.e. Use a paint cleaner (Dupont Chemical PrepSol, 1Z einzett Acrysol Silicone Remover) it removes acrylic-based paintwork polishes and coatings. Acrysol also removes silicone, wax, grease, oil, polishes, adhesive residues, and bitumen, under seal, nicotine, tar and spray filming without leaving any residue

Because the "basic" cleaning actions are the same - removal of wax in this case without causing damage to the painted surface. Literature may try to differentiate automotive dirts but in reality they are the same. A vehicle does not exist in a separate environment with individualized chemistry. The basic chemical structure of grease/oil for example, be it kitchen or outdoor types are still chains of similiar basic components (chains of hydrocarbons). These specialized products may hone in on wax removal and may even do a more efficient job (% of removal vs time invested) but the end result is still the same - a surface prepped for subsequent projected steps.

It is nice to use project specific products but not always a requirement to successfully reach the intended goal.

Just a dumb scientist and non- economically challenged thrifty consumer with his eye on the prize.

End of my rant

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TOGWT

The reason why Proctor and Gamble recommends you don`t use it for vehicles is because it will remove some natural waxes. Dawn is good at disolving grease. Natural waxes and some synthetics use petroleum distilliate solvents which Dawn can disolve to some degree. It`s been my experience also that Dawn doesn`t do much in the way of removing acrylics.

You bring up a good point that there are certainly better products out there, however some protectant manufacturers, like Zaino, recommend a Dawn wash before application.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Because the "basic" cleaning actions are the same - removal of wax in this case without causing damage to the painted surface. Literature may try to differentiate automotive dirts but in reality they are the same. A vehicle does not exist in a separate environment with individualized chemistry. The basic chemical structure of grease/oil for example, be it kitchen or outdoor types are still chains of similiar basic components (chains of hydrocarbons). These specialized products may hone in on wax removal and may even do a more efficient job (% of removal vs time invested) but the end result is still the same - a surface prepped for subsequent projected steps.

It is nice to use project specific products but not always a requirement to successfully reach the intended goal.

Just a dumb scientist and non- economically challenged thrifty consumer with his eye on the prize.

End of my rant

We will have to agree to differ on this one, and I concede your point about basic grease and dirt being hydrocarbon based but werenÃâ‚â„t we discussing the removal of detailing products (i.e. wax and sealants?)
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by audipower

It will remove all. I use it when I`m doing a fresh detail. What are you trying to do? Are you trying to add more coats of SG? Use clay instead of one of your coats of AIO. You`ll see better results and make sure your waiting a day for each coat of SG and wax. Leave a coat of SG on your car for a day, nice light haze, then buff off. You`ll get better layering performance that way

I`m trying substitute my Natty`s with Pinnacle Paste Glaz of which are on AIO x 2 and SG x 3

Thanks for your posts but there are appears to be significant of discrepancy in what the "dawn wash" will actually do. So as to "play it safe" this is what i will do:

Autobathe, AIO x 1, SG x 2 then top with paste glaz..

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are planning to start afresh with some new finishing sequence, you`ll probably want to polish any scratching you may have aquired since the last polish job. Just wash and clay to remove the imbedded stuff then polish away (no finish can withstand that step), then begin your next beautification process.

Post Thanks / Like
    oh most certainly.. i`ll run over everything with my orange pad and ssr1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information