Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question. I`m about to install splash guards on my car. The instructions stated to use high quality paste wax on the areas that will be covered by the splash guards. Is it ok to use NXT tech wax? I also have a few layers of SG in those areas. I want to put them on before the weather starts to get colder.

I ordered Meguiars #16 and I haven`t received it yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    use the #16, the nxt has a mild cleaner that will eliminate or reduce the sg layer.
    18 Honda Civic SI White Pearl 6mt(:lever

02 Honda Aquatrax f12x watercraft

01 Yamaha Superjet Modded

Post Thanks / Like
    I should be getting the #16 this week. I can`t any longer. I just want to get it on the car. Both the #16 and the splash guards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why do you care about the area that is covered by splash guards?I put on plenty of splash guared in my life and all I did was wash the car first.That area will be covered anyway?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by ALAN81

Why do you care about the area that is covered by splash guards?I put on plenty of splash guared in my life and all I did was wash the car first.That area will be covered anyway?

~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations~

The application of a carnauba wax or a sealant will provide a sacrificial barrier or paint protection IMO very necessary before the installation of splash-guards (you should also consider removing them periodically to clean any accumulated residue and to renew the protection)

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, you want those "covered" areas protected. Not only does dirt/salt/etc. have a way of getting into areas like that, but there might be some friction between the mudguards and the adjacent panels. And as TOGWT said, remove them every spring and do those areas properly. I`ve seen a lot of damage, including rustout, in areas covered by mudflaps. Out of sight, out of mind- not good. Rust is common around the mounting hardware/holes too.

Post Thanks / Like
    SG is probably enough to protect the covered areas but a layer of #16 certainly won`t hurt. Probably give even more protection.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Question: Will any of those products have a negative impact on the hard plastic typically used for mudguards? I`m less worried about the SG than the oils in #16.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the rust...not good.

Detailed a car last month that had some cancer growing out of the flaps installed by the friendly dealer. Very common in areas treated with salt.

For the mounting holes, try to dab some undercoating on the screw threads after they take hold upon installation. Upon tightening, the undercoating will disburse and should seal the area around the hole. The back side of the hole may require removal of the fender well panel. No one will see the pretty paint smeared by the undercoating, and rust will take a lot longer to appear if at all.

Repeat the process if needed upon future removal and reinstallation of the flaps. Clean any undesired dried coating with mineral spirits or a gentle solvent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by The Uncle

Question: Will any of those products have a negative impact on the hard plastic typically used for mudguards? I`m less worried about the SG than the oils in #16.

Nah, I`ve even used both KSG and #16 on plastic trim (yeah, intentionally ).

Post Thanks / Like
    Its funny in all my years I never heard about putting on a extra coat of wax under the splash guards.I concentrate on washing the underneath part of my cars and trucks(major cleaning of the wheel wells) and put high presssure so that the salt and grime is washed away.I never in all my years had rust behind the slash guards.I guess its where you live and how you clean your vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just took off 2 of my splash guards today and cleaned behind them (I cleaned behind the other two a couple weeks ago). It looks very disgusting behind them. As far as I know, they have never been removed before, and there were rust spots all over, and tons of dirt. I washed the area off, then clayed, then AIOd, then applied #16 and let it dry for 5-10 minutes.

I took some pictures...I`ll upload them from my camera in a little while and post them. I definitely recommend periodically taking the splash guards off and cleaning them along with the area "protected" by them.
    Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    OK here are the pics:

And then after clay, AIO, #16...

Paul...

`13 Mazda3i P21S/WG sealant/Paste Glaz/QD+
    `99 Mazda Protege LX - highlight silver - RIP
    `95 Nissan Maxima SE - white - slathered with Pinnacle Paste Glaz - RIP

Post Thanks / Like
    When I bought my Accord, the first two things I did was remove the front plate and bracket and the splash guards. I like the cleaner look you get without them. And yes, on a 5-year-old car, they were really dirty underneath.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Thread Information