Post Thanks / Like
    Hey everyone. I need to make a webpage for a business project that I`m doing for school and ofcourse I`m doing it on detailing. Anyway, I`m hoping to get a big list of reasons not to go to a car wash to help promote the washing aspect of detaling. I`d like as many reasons as possible, and I think it would be a good way of turning future customers away from other car washes. I`ll get it started:

- Automatic car washes use stiff brushes that create thousands of swirls in the paint

-car washes use harsh chemicals that can remove your car`s wax or sealant and leave it unprotected

Post Thanks / Like
    The main thing is conveyor car washes simply don`t give the individual attention a detailer can.
    www.scottwax.com

Certified Opti-Coat Pro/Pro 3 installer

Post Thanks / Like
    Car washes use the same products and procedures for every car. They have no idea what the chemicals that they are using really are or what they really do. They do what might make the car look great right at that moment. There is no real concern for the car later on.

A good mobile detailer (like what you should be shooting for ) Will have half a dozen products for any particular surface. They know what every product does and how it is different from the next. They might even know a little bit of the chemistry behind the product. They can look at paint and tell what condition it is in and properly decide what products and procedures will be the best for that paint (or any surface) will be.

A good mobile detailer uses quality products and tools to do the best possible job for that one car. They are aiming for 100% customer satisfaction. A conveyer type car wash will use the cheapest stuff possible and will be fine with significantly less satisfaction.

Hopefully this will help you out some

Post Thanks / Like
    Brushless washes use strips of fabric that, even if soft enough not to mar, will retain contaminants from other vehicles. These contaminants then mar the vehicles that come after.

Touchless washes often don`t get all the dirt off, then, when the vehicle is dried, that dirt gets rubbed into the paint, causing marring.

Recycled water may not be properly filtered. Bulk-mix chemicals might not be properly diluted.

The drying cloths are seldom soft enough and are usually used when dirty, causing marring.

Indiscriminant use of pressure washers as a "pre-wash", and on wheels, can cause damage.

The metal tracks can damage wheels.

The tip-switches that control the machinery can cause damage when they touch the vehicle.

Brushes and fabric strips can tear off trim and antennas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by xhaust50

Hey everyone. I need to make a webpage for a business project that I`m doing for school and ofcourse I`m doing it on detailing. Anyway, I`m hoping to get a big list of reasons not to go to a car wash to help promote the washing aspect of detaling. I`d like as many reasons as possible, and I think it would be a good way of turning future customers away from other car washes.

Having been employed for more than ten years by one of the leading car wash manufacturers as their Quality Assurance Manager, let me be the first person to tell you that not all car washes are the same.

Actually, much of the engineering that goes into automatic car wash equipment manufacturing is specifically designed to reduce and eliminate any chance of vehicle damage. This is especially true when the equipment is properly maintained and operated according to the manufacturers recommendations with regard to water temperatures, amounts of wash solutions, speed of the conveyor, etc.

Contrary to popular opinions, there are really no reasons that are based on facts, why customers should stay away from all automatic car washes. As long as the equipment is maintained and operated properly, there should not be a problem.

p.s. - when you stop and think about it, I am sure you can also come up with a `big list of reasons not to` wash a car by hand. For example; how about those people who use a nylon bristle brush to scrub down their car?

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Frank NOT all car WASHES suck around here some are real good. Yes they are hand washes but they are careful with your car.I understand that there are car washes that could care less about swirls but not all of them are that way.For you long islanders I can name a few(when I was there) that don`t screw up your finish but they cost bucks major bucks

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess this thing should really be... "reasons not to go to a car wash and why a regular hand wash isnt good enough"

If you go with something like Accumulator`s washing method... then you are set

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Frank also. There are good and bad reasons to use auto washes.

Good reason is cleaning my SUV in the winter. I can hose wash my cars in my detailing heated garage (basement) but the Escalade just doesn`t fit. If I QEW the SUV the top surfaces area will be cleaned and freed of salts/dirt, but this procedure will do nothing for the undercarriage. Using a good laser/touchless wash with no wax stage and vacuum drying step is a great prodromal to a quick outdoor QEW wash at home. Undercarriage cleaned of salt and dirt and painted finish cleaned with TLC and QEW.

Best bet is to allow dirt/salt to remain in place until the weather is nice enough (>35*) to do a good hand wash and pressure wash the undercarriage yourself. Dirt/salt in place will do no damage but trying to remove it without a proper lubing wash and plenty of water will create problems even by a detailer.

Bottom line: Choose your automatic car wash with the same analness as you do when you allow anyone that works on your vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good food for thought....I sometimes get so used to how I wash cars (yes, including proper undercarriage detailing with every wash, year round- big job in the winter) that I forget there`s a vast continuum between what I do and the worst-case automatics

But then again the request was for "reasons not to go to carwash".

Post Thanks / Like
    Accumulator,

Every point you made was perfectly accurate and the very same reasons I avoid auto washes.

In fact you exhausted my list of negatives, so I just listed a positive reason for their existence and usage by Autopians. :xyxthumbs

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the responses. Mirrorfinishman - I agree with what you are saying 100%, and I know there are good car washes out there, I was just trying to attract business by pointing out some of the flaws of "some" car washes. Again thanks for the responses, I have a pretty good list here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

Accumulator...you exhausted my list of negatives, so I just listed a positive reason for their existence and usage by Autopians. :xyxthumbs

Heh heh :xyxthumbs And I must say that I take a strange, guilty pleasure in runing rental cars though carwashes when I`m out of town

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank C, I disagree in part. In my mind there are a few valid reasons not to go to some auto washes. Not having your experience though I am interested in why the rotating brush washes are advisable, and I am especially interested in just how the dirt is cleaned from the equipment from any auto wash which uses a contact procedure.

Also, could you please give some insight as to how acidic the solutions generally are in these establishments?

Post Thanks / Like
    It is not just the automated washes that may have brushes. It is also the soap that other washes use, the drying and wiping method (2-6 guys in a hurry with dirty towels and attitudes). If your paint is in new condition or is absolutely mint, I encourage people not to take their cars to automated car washes. You will just have to put in the work necessary by carefully washing your own car by hand with contaminant free towels and a non abrasive car wash solution.

On the other hand, I have a daily driver, and I know the constraints of working on a schedule and prioritizing. However, if you want the best results for your paint, then you have to do the things that are necessary in maintaining its condition.

Thread Information