Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Black 2003 SVT Cobra and I need some help figuring out which polish would work best for me.

I would like to do a "one-step" polish, instead of removing swirls and micromarring with one step, then bringing back surface gloss with a second step.

I currently have the PC 7424 and CMA pad kit (the older one with the black, white, yellow and lambswool pads). I use the Klasse twins and Pinnacle Souveran. I would like to continue to do so, so please keep that in mind when helping me select a polish.

I already have 3M Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Colored Cars, but I would gladly buy another polish if it will work better to create an awesome deep, glossy, wet, and shiny look.

Here are the choices (as best as I can gather):

- 3M Swirl Mark Remover for Dark Colored Cars

- Menzerna Final Polish II

- Meguiar`s No. 9 Swirl Remover

- Meguiar`s No. 82 Swirl Free Polish

Well, which should I use?? Suggest one, if you don`t think any of the above items are appropriate for my application.

I`m leaning more towards the Menzerna cause I like the results I`ve seen here on Autopia, but I am not sure that is the appropriate choice. I would also love to hear at what speed I should set the PC and what color pad I should use.

Thanks in advance :xyxthumbs
    Sean

2009 Honda Accord EX-L

2000 Ford Explorer XLT

2001 BMW 330ci Convertible (gone)

2003 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra (gone)

Post Thanks / Like
    All the polishes you have listed are very mild and might not be abrasive enough for your marring. Megs #82 is IMO the most aggressive of the four. Give it a try but I don`t think it will be enough.

3M Perfect It III Machine Glaze is a great polish. It is still very mild but has some cut to it. It might be enough to remove the marring you have. It`s mild enough that you don`t usually have to follow up with something lighter.

IMO you should take the time to do a multi step process. I think you will like the results better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by stevet

........IMO you should take the time to do a multi step process. I think you will like the results better.
    IÃâ‚â„ve gotta go along with Stevet on this one too. YouÃâ‚â„ve got a black Cobra and to get it looking good and staying that way requires more work and attention than a light colored car. After all, whatÃâ‚â„s one more step if you want Ãâ‚Å“an awesome deep, glossy, wet, and shiny look?Ãâ‚Â

A good two step combo would be the 3M PI III RC (rubbing compound) followed by 3M PI III MG (machine glaze). As Stevet mentioned, try the MG first, then step up to the RC if needed (followed again by the MG).

If you want to stick with MegÃâ‚â„s products you can try DACP #83 followed by #80 (or #82). As mentioned above start out with the least abrasive polish and step up if needed.

Both the 3M and MegÃâ‚â„s have worked well for me, but IÃâ‚â„d have to give the nod the 3M products (RC and MG).

As far as pads go, IÃâ‚â„d start out with the white and only move to the yellow if really needed, and IÃâ‚â„d rather use an orange pad before the yellow, but you donÃâ‚â„t have one of those (may be a good time to order some more pads). For speed start out around 3 or so to work the polish around and then bump it up to 5 or 6. If you only have one of each pad then youÃâ‚â„ll have to wash it well before you switch from a more aggressive polish to a less aggressive one (another reason to have some extra pads).
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by stevet

All the polishes you have listed are very mild and might not be abrasive enough for your marring. Megs #82 is IMO the most aggressive of the four. Give it a try but I don`t think it will be enough.

IMO you should take the time to do a multi step process. I think you will like the results better.

I`m not entirely sure that I need anything more abrasive than these 4. Like I said, both the micromarring/spider-webbing and the swirls are very minor. I have to look for it under sunlight, but even under flourescent lighting it doesn`t jump out at you. So, in my opinion, it is very minor...

Originally posted by Eliot Ness

A good two step combo would be the 3M PI III RC (rubbing compound) followed by 3M PI III MG (machine glaze). As Stevet mentioned, try the MG first, then step up to the RC if needed (followed again by the MG).

Both the 3M and MegÃâ‚â„s have worked well for me, but IÃâ‚â„d have to give the nod the 3M products (RC and MG).

If you only have one of each pad then youÃâ‚â„ll have to wash it well before you switch from a more aggressive polish to a less aggressive one (another reason to have some extra pads).

I still get absolutely gun shy when I hear the word "compound". Images of sharp rocks scraping along my paint come to mind and I get flat out scared. I have not compounded this car ever and it`s my baby. I`m not confident in my abilities with a compound, so I guess that`s why I want to avoid it. Should I be this afraid?

Maybe I`ll just try the 3M SMR that I already have. Would following that with Klasse AIO and HGSG be counter-productive?

Also, has anyone tried Menzerna?

As far as pads, I still have at least 2 white pads that I haven`t used, so I will dedicate one of them to 3M SMR. Sound good?

Thanks in advance for your responses :xyxthumbs
    Sean

2009 Honda Accord EX-L

2000 Ford Explorer XLT

2001 BMW 330ci Convertible (gone)

2003 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra (gone)

Post Thanks / Like
    Using a less aggressive product first and then stepping up if needed is a very good rule of thumb to follow.

3M PI III RC isnÃâ‚â„t as harsh as it sounds, itÃâ‚â„s about as aggressive as MegÃâ‚â„s DACP (#83) and PoorboyÃâ‚â„s SSR 2.5 .

Using AIO after the 3M SMR will remove the fillers used to hide swirls, but SMR, like MegÃâ‚â„s #82 has some light abrasives that may remove some of your defects.

CanÃâ‚â„t help you on the Menzerna polishes, but a search should yield plenty of hits on this site. Just as a point of reference Menzerna IP is rated just below 3MÃâ‚â„s RC and MegÃâ‚â„s #83 (DACP) in aggressiveness, while Menzerna FP is rated right below SMR and #82.

Use the products you feel comfortable with and if you donÃâ‚â„t get the results youÃâ‚â„re looking for step up to something more aggressive.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Sean, I`ve had excellent results using the PC and the Menzerna Twins on my black Firehawk. Keep in mind that of all colors, black is the least forgiving. Trying to skip a step will give you shortcut results. Take the time to do this right, and then with proper maintenance you won`t have to do it again.

If you`re using menzerna, I can reccomend Intensive polish applied with an Orange Pad followed by Final Polish II applied with a White Pad. Personally, I have the best luck at around speed setting 5 on my firehawk`s paint, and I assume your car will have similar paint (the ford paint I`ve experienced has been very similar to GM paint in all respects).

Thats my story and I`m sticking to it

-T

Thread Information