Post Thanks / Like
    alright, i have a navy blue metallic paint job and i have severe smearing problems (not really severe). basically, i just recently bought a polisher and did the whole car. i used DACP and then followed up with NXT, and even used Colorx on the hood, spoiler, and top.

anyway, i tried using #9 instead of the Colorx, but that stuff smeared like mad! then Colorx did it almost as bad, but not quite. when i got to the nxt, it smeared even worse! about a month later, i reapplied my nxt, and once again, severe smearing! one thing to note: i put nxt with the pc and i make sure to put a light coat on. i do it just barely light enough to cover all of the paint, but not heavy enough (i don`t think) to make it smear as bad as it does. i also have left it on for about an hour both times, and i still have problems with it. before, i remember using no pc with the nxt, and i don`t think i had problems with smearing like now. also, the pad i`m using is getting cleaned, so i wouldn`t think there`d be anything on the pad causing the smears...

when i`m done, i`ll try to follow up with meguiar`s QD. it smears too. even after i wax the car and just spray once on a MF with QD, it leaves smears that are noticeable in the sun.

then i applied #16 yesterday. it smeared. i put it on lightly and got it *all* off too. still smears. tonight i tried the QD as a solution. still smears. my finale consisted of a wet MF towel followed by drying with a dry MF. that seemed to extenguish *most* of the smears, but i can still see some.

so i can`t use nxt, #9, #16, OR QD without getting serious smearing. it`s really not serious, but it`s bad enough for me to notice. and even when i think it`s gone, the second my car gets sunlight on it, you can see the smears again! what the hell?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been in your shoes, with smearing on my dark blue acura. There are a couple of things that i have learned that may help you out or may not.

1. Make sure you have GOOD quality MF towels and lots of them. When I take a coat of wax off with towels i use about 10 of them (Almost one for each panel) This will make sure that the MF towels are not getting too much residue to where it wont pick up anymore.

2. When using the QD, make sure you have at least another 5 MF`s for the whole car, use some for only APPLYING and spreading the QD, and the others for strictly taking it off.

3. Once you have used up your towels once dont use them again until you have washed them. Make sure that they are RINSED THOUROUGHLY to where no soap residue can transfer to the paint next use.

4. Another factor may be humidity in your area. Try not to detail the car on a very humid day, I consider anything over 80% pretty high. (THis may be hard to due, since i know in my area the humidity stays around 90-100% all the time Damn Northern VA.

Basically i think (from my expierence) its your use of MF that is causing it. THat`s why i believe you should have a minimum of 20 or more in your arsenal IMO. Try my suggestions and see if that works. Or maybe someone else can chime in here
    Refined Detailing

Chris - Sole Proprietor

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the suggestion. i never once thought it might be the MF. seems like i go through these suckers quick!

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a towel problem. What are you using to wash your towels?

Post Thanks / Like
    One way I`ve found to reduce the number of towels used on the car is to first go over the entire car with a single towel. It will saturate with residue long before you finish off the car, but it will still pull off wax/polish from the paint. Then go over the entire car again with a new towel, and if necessary, once more with a clean one. The third full-car pass usually gets the last bit of removeable residue; it`s so little in fact that you probably wont be able to tell that you even used the towel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by raymond_ho2002

One way I`ve found to reduce the number of towels used on the car is to first go over the entire car with a single towel. It will saturate with residue long before you finish off the car, but it will still pull off wax/polish from the paint. Then go over the entire car again with a new towel, and if necessary, once more with a clean one. The third full-car pass usually gets the last bit of removeable residue; it`s so little in fact that you probably wont be able to tell that you even used the towel.

That would be my next suggestion :up I do it with a lot of towels just cause i have a ton of them!

Post Thanks / Like
    i find it better to do one very light pass with a terry towel cause it loosens wax more, then two more passes with a mf.
    Thanks for Reading my Rant

Post Thanks / Like
    i`m scared to use a terry because of my dark color, and afraid i might scratch the paint.

i just use Era to wash my towels. should i use something else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by tuffluck

i`m scared to use a terry because of my dark color, and afraid i might scratch the paint.

i have the same fear. I dont even know where to buy trusted cotton terry towels!

-Raymond

Post Thanks / Like

...i just use Era to wash my towels. should i use something else?
    Perhaps the detergent isn`t getting fully rinsed out? Do the towels have any "laundry smell" to them? You might try extra rinses.

Some laundry detergents also have fabric softeners built in. Fabric softeners can cause MF to smear. I use Simple Green for MF.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by raymond_ho2002

... I dont even know where to buy trusted cotton terry towels! ...
    http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/mf-cbt.html

http://www.topoftheline.com/luxbuftow.html

http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguia...&subcatagory=1

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds to me like the product(s) might be part of the problem too. I know #9 is filler/oils, When oils are still left on the finish they can cause smearing. If a wax isn`t applied very thiny, often folks don`t realize they are putting too much on, that leads to smearing as well. Absolutely top quality mfs are a must as well.

Next time,after another full detail, washing the whole car before applying the wax/LSP may also help
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    how do you use simple green for cleaning them? do you use a machine, or just simple green and your kitchen sink?

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally wouldn`t use anything harsher than Dawn (if really necessary) to clean MFs and definitely don`t put that in the washing machine Using that, wash by hand only!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

how do you use simple green for cleaning them? do you use a machine, or just simple green and your kitchen sink?
    If I`m just doing a couple I`ll wash them in the sink. Normally, I wait till I have a bunch and toss`em in the washing machine, permanent-press or delicate cycle and either cold/cold or warm/cold wash/rinse.

PC.

Thread Information