Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve read in several posts about how people let Meguiars NXT Tech Wax or Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze cure for 24 up to 48 hours. What does this mean? I am confused and my use of the search button could only led me to people saying that they let a wax cure not matter what I did.

-What is curing?

-Is it a must?

-What are the advantages/disadvantage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Some protectants require a *curing* time which means enough time left alone to completely bond to your car`s surface. If you apply another coat of the same or a different product on top of a product that didn`t have enough time to cure (bond) it will just come right off.

The advantage of allowing the product to cure is that it will do its job and look its best, the disadvantage is that it will be like you never did it.

It`s usually sealants that require curing times, like SG, EX, NXT, etc. Most waxes (carnauba) don`t require a curing time since they bond immediately. Always read your labels and if you ever get confused just post a quick question and someone will be glad to help you.

Post Thanks / Like
    To add to what JDookie said, you should try to not let your car get wet during the curing process as it may affect durability...you can`t always control the weather, but I tend to not apply sealants when I know it will rain in the next day or two.
    2004 Toyota Solara SLE V6
    Lunar Mist Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    well as for what mtodde said about the rain afecting its curing time i cant really say anything except ive applied a "CARNUBA" and it rained 10 minutes after and when it dried it was still slick.

"Most waxes (carnauba) don`t require a curing time since they bond immediately."--jdookie-------->>>>

i always understood that synthetic waxes (sealants) are the ones that actually bond to the surface and that natural waxes (carnubas) just stick to the surface but dont ever really bond to a sufface, rather it justs sits there, which doesnt let it be layered since an application would just move the product.

just my .02

still a newbie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct, carnaubas are virtually instant and sealants are 24 hrs.

Post Thanks / Like
    So if I were to apply NXT I should let it sit in my garage for 24 horus or else it won`t cure?

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh no, you don`t need to lock it up but if you want the absolute *best* longevity out of it, try not to let it get wet for about 24 hours, if you can help it. Just pick a day where it looks fairly nice for a couple days after. I don`t know about you, but I always watch the weather before I detail just because I hate doing things twice! Another tip is if you apply your NXT in the morning you will have the heat of the sun helping it cure before the cold humidity sets in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does it have to be for 24 hours? That seems like a long time especially if you were doing some elses car

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it all depends on the weather, but for the most part, it is 24 hours. I`m sure you could knock a few hours off of that if you absolutely had to. Most of the time, the detailers that do this for a living don`t do multiple steps of sealants on top of sealants on top of carnaubas like we do. They will usually prep and seal all within three steps and be done. If another coat of something is required, they just recommend it and do it the next time they wash it or something. Layering like we do is a luxury that you can only achieve by doing it yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    A wax should be given at least a day to dry or "cure" before adding another layer. Additional "layers" of a pure wax will not take off previous layers of wax.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    ~One manÃâ‚â„s opinion / observations~

Carnauba wax must be given sufficient time to set-up, 10 - 20 minutes is recommended before removing residue When Carnauba wax sets-up it bonds (adheres) to a paint film surface primarily by surface tension the balance of the adherence process is that it works its way via the carrier system (solvent and / or oils) into the microscopic gaps and valleys of the paint film surface thereby creating an anchor.

Carnauba wax must be allowed to cross-link for 24 hours before applying other products (more Ãâ‚ËœlayersÃâ‚â„ or a QD)

Ãâ‚Å“Additional "layers" of a pure wax will not take off previous layers of wax.Ãâ‚Â

Solvents provide a lubricant and aid the adherence process by working their way into the microscopic gaps and valleys of the previous `layer` softening it, providing each subsequent applications carrying agent (solvent, oils silicones or emulsion) are not so concentrated that they degrade or remove (as in the case of a cleaner wax) what has been previously applied

Also be aware that the both the product and the foam pad may be non-abrasive, but application pressure if not kept to an absolute minimum and using use a very light and even pressure, may re-introduce surface marring and/or removal of the previously applied product.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys...newbie here!

If you guys are letting your cars "cure" for 24 hours, do you not drive the car at all and let it sit in the garage?

What if you finished waxing it, and you have to drive it later in the day, do you have to wipe down the whole car with a QD before you apply another layer?

Post Thanks / Like
    I too find that letting *anything* (wax, synthetic) cure for at least a day is beneficial when layering. But I suspect that the "24 hours" thing is sorta arbitrary...just because we schedule our lives around 24 hour intervals doesn`t mean a LSP magically cures in exactly that period of time

FWIW, with waxes I often wait a week, applying the next coat after the next wash. I seem to recall Mike Phillips saying he found this works well with stuff like #16.

Originally posted by Nightcrawler

Hey guys...newbie here!

Welcome to Autopia!

If you guys are letting your cars "cure" for 24 hours, do you not drive the car at all and let it sit in the garage?

Ideally, yeah. But since that isn`t always practical, it`s not a big deal. I often drive `em right after I finish a detail and I`ve never noticed a problem from it.

What if you finished waxing it, and you have to drive it later in the day, do you have to wipe down the whole car with a QD before you apply another layer?

Yeah, but I`d wash it instead. QDing a dirty car is just too risky marring-wise for my taste, but plenty of other people do it. ANY dirt that gets on the finish can cause marring, so definitely don`t just add a coat of LSP to a vehicle that`s been driven- you`ll scratch it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to wait at least 12 hours.I could finish one layer late at night and put the next one on in the late morning.It works for me

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried topping NXT after 18 hours in the garage--not a happy scene.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information