Thread: cracked leather

Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve heard that the Leatherique full system is good.

Can it handle these cracks in the driver`s seat?

http://autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9970

That'll buff right out! jimmybuffit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nope.

The color is gone.

The entire panel can be replaced, that`s typically $175 - $250. Call a quality detailer/dealer.

It can be `painted`. Probably $40, but it is what we call a "dealer fix``, cause it won`t last very long at all...

Others will chime in with more...

Jim
    "If it was easy, everybody`d be doing it."
    www.jimmybuffit.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Can`t one use the Leatherique dye for the cracks? I don`t want to replace the panel, just minimize the look of the cracks. The rest of the seat looks good enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    That should be no problem for Leatherique. Prep well, lightly sand,and judicious use of the crack filler will make the leather look like new. I did the 37 year old leather in my Aston with excellent results and lasting . You will have to remove and dye the entire seat for best results.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree leatherique system will work. I fixed some seats in similar condition.

I sent a swatch of the leather in to leatherique and they matched the color. Actually many models they have the color in stock.

I first applied the leatherique oil system about 3 times. Each time, I hand-rubbed the oil in and then immediately covered the seat with a black garbage bag. I then left it out in the sun to "bake" all day. I then cleaned with Prestine clean. Multiple treatments are necessary to clean and soften the leathe for drying.

I then used nail clippers to clip off any leather "hangnails."

You may find that after multiple oil applications, the cracks are not as visible and will not require filling with crack filler. You might just be able to re-dye. Your photo looks like re-dying alone might be enough.

If you do need crack filler, leatherique has this as well.

I filled the cracks on my car with a small amount of the leatherique crack filler. I used a flat artist`s palette tool (it`s like a very small spatula but with smooth (not-sharp) edges. I did not sand. I used the flat of the tool to spread the filler into the crack and the edge to remove excess from undamaged leather.

I am afraid of the sandpaper and did not use it. Try just using the clippers to removing hangnails if any and then spread the crack filler carefully and evenly.

If the crack is deep, you can "build up" crack filler with multiple coats, but the photo does not look too deep.

Here is an important tip for dyeing. Before dyeing, apply the pink prepping agent and wait at least one day for it to dry. Otherwise the dye will not take well.

After drying, do not immediately clean with the Prestine cleaner (even though the leatherique instructions say to do so). Wait another day and then clean lightly. Otherwise the dye will rub off.

Repeat the oil treatment after dyeing for best results.

Now the bad news: If the crack is in a high-use part, then the crack filler will eventually "pop out." But with care it should look good for at least a year, and re-appying will be easy because you just have to re-apply crack filler and re-dye the crack filler.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone heard of Magic Mender`s leather repair kits?

They seem to have a crack filler and leather dye product as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    This companys products have a good rep in the uk and worked well for me :

http://www.liquidleather.com/

The conditioner smells great.

The cleaner works well but is time consuming. 98 BMW :

I used the scuff master on the drivers base bolster (after these photos were taken - you can see the area on the second photo) and it took your eye away from the lines

WD :xyxthumbs

Thread Information