Post Thanks / Like
    I`m checking out the specials online for a local Pep Boys here and on sale is Eagle One 20/20 auto glass cleaner. It has the description about it leaving the glass clear and streak-free, but doesn`t Windex and other blue glass cleaners have those descriptions?

The only thing I can think of right now is that those blue cleaners usually have ammonia in it, and it stinks. Do these auto glass cleaners not have ammonia in it? Also with the Windex, I Windex`ed the inside of my windshield and you could still see smears or streaks or whatnot. I have to go back in and rebuff with a cotton towel to make them disappear.

Should I get a glass cleaner or clay my glass and windshields?

Post Thanks / Like
    You are correct, the difference between products like Windex and automotive glass cleaners is the ammonia and probably some other ingredients. Ammonia is a no no on window film (tint), and like you noticed, it streaks. Automotive only glass cleaners are usually always ammonia free and safe for tint.

I always clay the outside glass when I`m claying the rest of the car. Whatever`s on your paint, is going to be on your glass so you may as well get it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find Windex to be an ineffective window/glass cleaner any where. I hate the stuff. I may use it in a sonic machine for cleaning small parts or jewelry but that`s about it. :down
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    What is it about the ammonia that causes streaks and all that? And why do they put it in the blue cleaners anyway?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure, :nixweiss but if I had to guess about an auto glass product, maybe the aerosol action of an alcohol based glass cleaner combined with alcohol`s tendency to evaporate quickly all mixed together in a good cleaner forumla is what makes it clean better than ammonia
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Using paper towels causes streaks. I still use Windex but now that I have stopped using paper towels and switched to a polypropylene towel I no longer have a problem with streaks or haze.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....1001&SKU=14910

Note:

While I use the polypropylene towels from Griot`s, I don`t use their window cleaner. Griot`s window cleaner seems to be nothing more than isopropyl alcohol and water.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always use towels when cleaning glass or mirrors, never paper towels. I`ve used paper towels before, and a lot of the time they get paper residue and dust on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ammonia doesent cause streakes it the other stuff in it . Ammonia is hard on after market tint glass, thats why most auto glass cleaners dont have it in them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know why Ammonia is in those other glass cleaners that are for use around the house?

Thread Information