Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    I searched the forum, then searched again.

My question is:

Is Meguiar`s #16 a PURE WAX? And #26?

I found conflicting results in this forum (and a few others). Some posts say that #16 is pure, some call it "low solvent". And then the debate over #26. It`s "pure", but some say it has added polymers or something along those lines.

I have a clayed, cleaned, polished, AIO`d, SG`d, #16`d car in the driveway and want to add a few layers of #16 or even #26, but only if it isn`t a fruitless effort. As this obsession grows, I want to nurture it with facts.

Any input?

Post Thanks / Like
    #16 is a pure wax. It`d only a fruitless effort if it had cleaning agents. I also think more than 2 layers is a waste of time, energy, and product.

Not sure about #26.

Post Thanks / Like
    What TW85 HHI said, except that I`ll do more layers of #16, waiting maybe a week or more between them. And doing a spit-shine (with either water or Griot`s Speed Shine) seems to add something to subsequent applications too. My wife didn`t much like the look of #16 on her car until after the third application, which I did with the Cyclo and the spit-shine w/Speed Shine. Definitely a difference, she thought it was a very dramatic improvement and now she likes how it looks. Good thing I didn`t stop after two coats or I would`ve ended up completely redoing the car with her previous favorite wax!

Havn`t used #26 in a *long* time, but it oughta act about the same way, but will usually give a "darker/richer" look.

Don`t worry about a wax containing "polymers", just watch for "cleaners". Most "pure waxes" contain a blend of different things, some natural, some synthetic. And they all have solvents of some kind, its seldom something to worry about.

Post Thanks / Like
    If what you mean by "pure wax" is "a wax with no cleaners", then yes, both #26 and #16 are pure waxes. I`d guess that otherwise, both of them have some natural organic content, some natural mineral content, and some synthetic content.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    My understanding was that #16 was the pure wax and #26 was a blend of polymers and carnauba.

One thing I can say is that I`ve used both and was happy with each of them. My feeling is that #16 was more like the old style waxes from the 50`s and 60`s that had much more durablity.
    "If we weren`t all crazy..We`d all go insane" Jimmy Buffett

Post Thanks / Like
    From their MSDS info:

#16 - Polymer Wax Blend 15-30%, Trade Secret Conditioners 2-10%

#26 - Polymer Blend 5-10%, Calcined Kaolin Clay plus several other synthetics at 1-5%

So both contain synthetics but #16 incorporates natural Carnauba into the wax emulsion. It is an old-style wax. #26 is a much more complex formula.

Both are "pure" waxes in that they contain no cleaners. Neither is "pure" with the meaning of being all natural.

Post Thanks / Like
    A pure wax is a wax that has no cleaners or cleaning agents.Pure wax only has cutting agents.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    A pure wax is a wax that has no cleaners or cleaning agents.Pure wax only has cutting agents.

"cutting agents" means a solvent carrier system?
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you define "cutting agents"? Aren`t cutting agents abrasive?

Post Thanks / Like
    OK I`ve had my third cup of coffee. Carnauba wax is very hard in its natural state and requires solvent or oil to soften (cut) it
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have often described a "pure wax" as any wax that does not contain agents that clean or polish the paint. Klasse AIO is a cleaner wax, whereas Klasse SG is not.

This distinction between cleaner wax and pure wax brings with it confusion over layerability. There are many waxes and sealants that qualify as a "pure wax", but don`t layer. This generally has to do with the volume and type of solvents used in the wax blend.

In a Carnauba wax, the volume and type of "mineral spirit" is typically the factor that determines if a wax will layer on or remove previous coats of the wax or other products. In most cases, a Carnauba wax that does not contain polymer bonding agents will not be able to hang tough with an additional application.

Post Thanks / Like
    AHA! It`s all clear now. Thanks so much for all the responses!

• A wax which does not contain cleaning or polishing agents is a pure wax (and can contain solvents and/or polymer bonding agents)
    • A pure wax which does not contain solvents (and also does not contain cleaning or polishing agents) is somewhat layerable
    • A pure wax which contains polymer bonding agents (and also contains no cleaning or polishing agents and no solvents) is layerable to a greater extent. (this would be considered a synthetic wax?)
    • A cleaner wax[/b] contains cleaning and polishing agents and is never layerable, regardless of solvents (or lack thereof), or polymer bonding agents (or again, lack thereof).

Iside a wax:

• Cleaning and polishing agents do just that, taking any previous application of wax with them
    • Solvents soften the wax to make it more workable (along with softening up previously applied layers, and limiting the ability to layer)
    • Polymer bonding agents add strength and resiliance to the wax, making it more resistant to subsequent applications, and therefore layerable.

*Also, a polymer bnonding agent would be a type of "mineral spirit"? Are there other types of mineral spirits (maybe acrylic resin) that affect the ability to add subsequent layers of wax?

There is a tonne of information in this forum, and it`s all great. I just want to make sure that I`ve processed it correctly.

I apologize if I have exceeded my question quota for the week, but this is an area many people seem to have issues with, might be nice to have it all laid out.

Post Thanks / Like
    *Also, a polymer bnonding agent would be a type of "mineral spirit"? Are there other types of mineral spirits (maybe acrylic resin) that affect the ability to add subsequent layers of wax?

No, Mineral Spirits is a type of solvent. You can go to a paint store and see one gallon cans of Mineral Spirits. "Polymer Bonding Agents" and acrylic resins are not mineral spirits.

Post Thanks / Like
    There isn`t a carnauba wax around that does not contain solvents. Are you saying all carnauba waxes have a limited layering ability?

Post Thanks / Like
    ~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations~

Are you saying all carnauba waxes have a limited layering ability?Yes

Layering:

By applying another product on top of one that has already cross-linked you can increase its density (up to a point) the thin film of product that`s applied isn`t really another layer. Two to four cross-linked (cured) applications are usually considered optimum

Solvents provide a lubricant and aid the adherence process by working their way into the microscopic gaps and valleys of the previous `layer` softening it, providing each subsequent applications carrying agent (solvent, oils silicones or emulsion) are not so concentrated that they degrade or remove (as in the case of a cleaner wax) what has been previously applied.

Also be aware that the both the product and the foam pad may be non-abrasive, but application pressure if not kept to an absolute minimum and using use a very light and even pressure, may re-introduce surface marring and/or removal of the previously applied product.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information