Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like
    Eek. I feel like I might be getting in over my head.

I got myself a nice car recently (yes it`s a Saab, sorry... I LIKE THEM). Actually it`s not just any Saab, it`s a Viggen. Anyhow, the paint is mostly nice but there are a bunch of tiny chips on the hood, a shallow scratch on the roof that just barely revealed some primer, etc. I ended up at this site after researching on the web and have been digesting tons of info on all the different steps and materials and compounds and tools and so on and so forth... I`m wondering: is it even worth it to me to invest in all this stuff (like a PC... yay I know what that is now) if I only have 1 car and I`m only doing it for myself? Or is there some guy (maybe one of you?) who I could pay to do it for me? I`ve looked around the state but haven`t located anyone who does serious detailing. Yes there are detailing shops but not of the level of quality ("clay? What`s that?") that the folks on here take it to (which is what I want). And some of you charge less! Hell it`s probably almost worth driving to CT and having Sean do my car. Heh.

It also seems that most the detailing places don`t do nicks and scratches, and that`s a big part of this. Having never done them before, I`m nervous about learning on my baby.

It`s a black car and it already turns heads. I just want that extra WOW factor (we`re talking Sourveran on top of Klasse AIO, yes I`d pay for that) and to get those nicks taken care of. Any advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice ride!!

The Viggen definately supercedes all other Saabs.

Do you have any closeups of the chips/scratches?

I would have to say a PC is a good idea since your car is black.

How far are you from Manchester, VT? I am up there about once a month and might be able to detail for ya.

As far as protection, I`d go with Klasse AIO/SG only because you are in VT and you definatley need that extra amount of protection. I don`t have Souveran, but do have Trade Secret which is VERY comparable. I could always scoop out a little bit of it for you to use after the Klasse cures so you can top for that extra wow factor

Please let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha, Sean you`re right on-top of things. How`d you home in on the mentioning of your name so fast? Your ears burning? :p

Originally posted by GSRstilez

Do you have any closeups of the chips/scratches?

Not at the moment but I can do so. I`ll try and get some ASAP. Weather right now wouldn`t provide good pics.

I would have to say a PC is a good idea since your car is black.

Yes and I like how black is easier to work with for touchups. Unfortunately it shows dirt and swirls more. But I like the look of black cars. It`s a compromise.

How far are you from Manchester, VT? I am up there about once a month and might be able to detail for ya.

Well, fancy that! I`m about 1.5h from Manchester. It`d probably be worth it. Would it bother you to have me watch? I`m curious and learn well by observation.

As far as protection, I`d go with Klasse AIO/SG only because you are in VT and you definatley need that extra amount of protection. I don`t have Souveran, but do have Trade Secret which is VERY comparable. I could always scoop out a little bit of it for you to use after the Klasse cures so you can top for that extra wow factor

What`s SG? I`ve seen it mentioned a bunch but am not sure what it is. And you can`t search for 2-letter words. Heh. While we`re at it: what`s "QD"?

Anyhow, my reading really made me want Souveran. I like to splurge for the best. Unless you have reasons I shouldn`t use it (not sure if you were saing I should use "SG" instead of Souveran). If you can`t find some I`d be happy to just buy some myself (that way I have leftovers for when I feel up to doing it myself!) and you can use it.

So how much nick repair do you do? I`m sure you`re plenty experienced as your detailing work is impressive, I just don`t see much mention of stuff beyond minor scratches.

Btw interior is pristine so I really don`t need any work there.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Viggen`s are bada$$ Saabs, that`s for sure. I detailed one just like yours earlier this year.

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread...ghlight=viggen
    There are only three things you need to know about me. Gloss, Gloss, GLOSS!!

Post Thanks / Like
    :wavey Welcome

Here is a link to the acronyms

http://www.autopia.org/display.php?f...yms.htm&menu=8

Post Thanks / Like
    It doesnt matter if you own one car or 400, a pc is a must. I just received mine and I dont know how I got by with out it. The satisfaction you get from doing the job is second to none as well. Maybe you should meet up with sean and watch how it is done and that way he can give you some pointers and you can go home with a well detailed car and a great canvas and a head full of knowledge to work with when you get home. And if you ever have any questions just post, there are tons of knowledged people on here who would love to help.
    Sean L. Searls

03 Mitsu. EVOVIII

Post Thanks / Like
    sremick- Welcome to Autopia!

Hey, Saabs have personality, which is more than you can say for a lot of vehicles.

First, I`d get some paintwork done. The spot that`s down to primer (definitely!!) and maybe also the panels with the chips. IMO it`s usually easier to solve the "lots of chips" problem with a spotted-in repaint. Just find somebody good. That`s were I`d put *my* money first.

Then take GSRstilez up on his offer and watch/help him detail it. [WARNING, ACCUMULATOR`S AUTOPIAN HERESY FOLLOWS:] You might find that having it professionally detailed is the way to go, at least for now. Just *washing* a black vehicle can be a challenge, and not everyone who loves their car also loves detailing. Keeping a black car nice can take a lot of time and effort, especially when you`re not experienced with this stuff. And I`d *much* rather have the paintwork repairs done than own a PC.

I certainly don`t mean to discourage you, just want you to give this some well-rounded consideration. You can always jump into the detailing deep end if that`s what you decide you want to do, but make an informed decision

Don`t get too caught up in the "best product" thing. Yeah, I really like Souveran on some cars, but IMO you`d probably be better off with something that offers longer-lasting protection and a finish that stays slicker longer (less marring during the washes). A product that needs to be reapplied as often as Souveran might not fit with how you`re gonna (really) live with the car (especially in winter) either.

Give this some thought and seriously consider getting the paintwork done and out of the way. Chips, scratches to primer, and stuff like that have a nasty way of turning into rust after winter gets going.

The Old Grey Whistle Test togwt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    [WARNING, ACCUMULATOR`S AUTOPIAN HERESY FOLLOWS:] You might find that having it professionally detailed is the way to go, at least for now.

:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by bretfraz

Viggen`s are bada$$ Saabs, that`s for sure. I detailed one just like yours earlier this year.

Thanks! I`m glad some people here can appreciate them. Saabs are immensely popular in my entire extended family and we really don`t have many problems with them. My parents own 4 Saabs and 1 non-Saab and have FAR more problems with the non-Saab than any of the Saabs. This Viggen is my 3rd.

Anyone who`s interested in what the Viggen is can read this page I made.

Originally posted by pontgta

:wavey Welcome

Here is a link to the acronyms

Wow, thanks! That`s immensely useful and I`ve already used it a ton. I now see that was under the "secret decoder ring" link on the main page. Wasn`t obvious what that was so I had never clicked on it. Heh.

Originally posted by Accumulator

Hey, Saabs have personality, which is more than you can say for a lot of vehicles.

Thanks for your words too. I like being able to drive someone that no one else around has and that I`ll probably not see any others on the road.

IMO it`s usually easier to solve the "lots of chips" problem with a spotted-in repaint. Just find somebody good. That`s were I`d put *my* money first.

I think I can find a decent paint place locally here, if it comes down to it. That`s where having black is an advantage. Not hard to match! Just how "spot" can most places do? Can it blend in perfectly?

Then take GSRstilez up on his offer and watch/help him detail it. [WARNING, ACCUMULATOR`S AUTOPIAN HERESY FOLLOWS:] You might find that having it professionally detailed is the way to go, at least for now. Just *washing* a black vehicle can be a challenge, and not everyone who loves their car also loves detailing. Keeping a black car nice can take a lot of time and effort, especially when you`re not experienced with this stuff. And I`d *much* rather have the paintwork repairs done than own a PC.

This was kind of my thinking. I was looking at having to invest in a lot more for tools, supplies, etc than it`d cost to have someone who`s done this hundreds of times come and do it RIGHT.... AND be able to observe and learn. Sure I could jump in right off the bat, but then I`d be learning blindly on my one "baby" without any guidance... and most of us learn from MISTAKES. *shudder*

It`s not that I wouldn`t work up to doing stuff myself, but I`d rather not dive in clueless and spend hundreds getting started and hundreds more recovering from my mistakes.

Interesting the stuff you`re saying about Souveran ... everything I had read has suggested it was the cat`s meow. This is the first mention of its downsides that I`ve read. Can you talk more about the reasons to NOT use it (aside from cost of the stuff) and what other things might be a better choice? Sean mentioned Trade Secret but I`m not sure if it`s because he thought it was better or if it`s just what he happens to have on-hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    TOGWT & Accumulator:

So would you agree that Sean counts as a "professional"? :p

Post Thanks / Like
    if you wanna have your car done right, and you don`t mind paying for the detail instead of doing it yourself, have Sean (gsrstilez) do your car. he is one of the best, hands down. do a search on his name and check out some his posts. they are amazing.

Vernon

Post Thanks / Like
    sremick:

SG stands for Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze. It`s the true acrylic sealant that provides long term protection through the elements (rain, snow, sleet, salt, dirt, etc). If applied relatively soon, it will last you through the winter.

Souveran is an excellent `topper`. It arguably looks best on blacks, which works out for you . However, it is still a wax, which with faced with salty messy VT roads is gonna be eaten up in a day or two. It is merely for looks, not for protection.

FWIW, CT is not incredibly different than VT weather wise. I plan to use a strong sealant (Klasse or Zaino) and top from time to time with a good carnauba wax (Trade Secret or Natty`s Paste Wax) to keep that depth of shine and wet look going . As far as Trade Secret comparing to Souveran...Many will argue the looks of the two are incredibly close. I have *not* done a side-by-side comparo, but this is what I hear.

You say 1.5 hrs from Manchester...Well I`m coming from CT (up I-91 and so on) so it may be closer than that.

Post Thanks / Like
    So would you agree that Sean counts as a "professional"?

I`ve seen photos of his work and his posts offer sound, logicical advice on detailing. I don`t think you`d be taking too big a risk with grstilez

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM
    What gets overlooked too often is that one must be a student before becoming a teacher.

Post Thanks / Like
    Originally posted by TOGWT

I`ve seen photos of his work and his posts offer sound, logicical advice on detailing. I don`t think you`d be taking too big a risk with grstilez

~Hope this helps~

Heh... I`ve seen the pics of his work too and read his posts. I was sorta kidding when I asked about whether he`s "professional"

He`s got a great rep, he lives not obscenely far away, and he comes to my neck of the woods once a month. I`m spoiled...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote: Don`t get too caught up in the "best product" thing. Yeah, I really like Souveran on some cars, but IMO you`d probably be better off with something that offers longer-lasting protection and a finish that stays slicker longer (less marring during the washes). A product that needs to be reapplied as often as Souveran might not fit with how you`re gonna (really) live with the car (especially in winter) either.

~One manâ€â„¢s opinion / observations~

I donâ€â„¢ think this was meant as a criticism of Souveran, carnauba waxes do not have good durability (like a polymer product has) so they need to be re-applied often, each time you â€Ëœtouchâ€â„¢ the paint surface here is a chance of marring the surface. So I think the point was use something that will last without the need to renew it as often and also last through a winter.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted [each one / teach one]

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ JonM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information